Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Transfer of bike to new owner  (Read 446 times)

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • Maak 'n koffie
Transfer of bike to new owner
« on: May 26, 2021, 11:15:55 am »
Morning all

So, to start with lets tag the experts here that I know of:

@petri oosthuizen
@JustBendIt

That being said, all the no-namers on here, please feel free to comment also... you know you want to.
(including the local troll....... @Wooly Bugger ) - Kidding kidding, please, don't want another can of frosting opened  ;)

ANYWAY,

I recently sold my bike, got all the documents for BMW.  The saleslady who arranged the document for me said I don't have to go to the license department and first put the bike on my name. 

The new owner can just go and put it on his name straight out of the bat. 

Right, couriered the documents and this morning I received a call from the new owner...dun dun dun... don't even have to tell the rest.

So...is this lady at BMW misinformed or is the license department just lazy.  The lady spoke with such confidence  ::)

Now the owner went straight to the license department (rookie mistake in my opinion).  We have a local company doing roadworthy testing and they do these things on your behalf.

Question then...  Do the documents need to be sent back to me now in order to resolve this on my end first or does this chap just need a good contact on his end.  The new owner is from Cape Town.

Thank you in advance for all the insightful comments that will follow  ;) :thumleft:

the Truth will offend at first

Offline petri oosthuizen

Re: Transfer of bike to new owner
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 11:26:00 am »
Was the Bike financed at some stage?? The Papers you gave the Buyer, is the Title Holder and You the same, or is the Title Holder a Bank (Wesbank, BMW Finance, etc etc)?
If so, then you would have to first register in your name (Titleholder AND Owner), and then Buyer can register in his name from there.
Enige ou kan tog nie Grunder en (bv) Wesbank se bike op sy naam gaan sit nie.
Die Proxy wat jy saamgekry het (as dit financed was) is bedoel vir op JOU naam sit..........dit moet eerste gebeur, en van daar kan jy as Titelhouer EN Eienaar die COO (Change of Ownership) invul na volgende Eienaar (Koper).

Thats how I have it.
XT 600 Tenere

Offline TheHamster

• Formerly neil-ph
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Multistrada / Enduro
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 11:31:10 am »
Hard to understand your issue here.

When you sell you need to submit Change of Ownership forms to licence department, along with ID of new owner. The department then issues you a formal notice of acknowledgement that you no longer own the bike.

Once roadworthy has been done on the new bike the buyer then submits documents to the department. They will see on the eNatis system that the bike has already gone through Change of Ownership and the buyers name should be seen.

The department then issues a new eNatis registration form in the name of the buyer.

It's a very simple procedure.

ALL THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE ENATIS WEBSITE FOR DOWNLOAD.
Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

All men die, but not all men live......

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:33:48 am »
I was told by our local little VLR shop that you can transfer from the bank papers to the new owner but only if the new registration is in the same province.
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 11:36:34 am »
I was told by our local little VLR shop that you can transfer from the bank papers to the new owner but only if the new registration is in the same province.
This is the issue.

Bike was financed by bmw and they sent the (that is where BMW came into play here).

Sorry if I forgot to mention this part.

But now we are in different provinces

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 11:38:20 am »

When you sell you need to submit Change of Ownership forms to licence department, along with ID of new owner. The department then issues you a formal notice of acknowledgement that you no longer own the bike.

Once roadworthy has been done on the new bike the buyer then submits documents to the department. They will see on the eNatis system that the bike has already gone through Change of Ownership and the buyers name should be seen.

The department then issues a new eNatis registration form in the name of the buyer.

ALL THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTATION IS AVAILABLE ON THE ENATIS WEBSITE FOR DOWNLOAD.
This is the process I'm familiar with.

But the BMW lady said no, you can send them straight from the bank to the new owner

Offline Kelevra

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 11:42:13 am »
The process and requirements differs from province/town/area/district/month/week/day/person behind the computer. 
Previous:
Suzuki DR 600 KTM 640 ADV  KTM 530 XCRW KTM 530 EXC Ducati 748 Ducati 1098 KTM 690
Current:
Honda XR 200R  KTM 990 ADV R

The following users thanked this post: El Zeffo

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 11:44:27 am »
The process and requirements differs from province/town/area/district/month/week/day/person behind the computer.
I'm hoping this is the issue and that I can get the new owner in touch with someone that knows the lingo over there

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 12:06:29 pm »
What Petri said  :thumleft:
Ja/Nee

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 12:14:31 pm »
Morning all

So, to start with lets tag the experts here that I know of:

@petri oosthuizen
@JustBendIt

That being said, all the no-namers on here, please feel free to comment also... you know you want to.
(including the local troll....... @Wooly Bugger ) - Kidding kidding, please, don't want another can of frosting opened  ;)

ANYWAY,

I recently sold my bike, got all the documents for BMW.  The saleslady who arranged the document for me said I don't have to go to the license department and first put the bike on my name. 

The new owner can just go and put it on his name straight out of the bat. 

Right, couriered the documents and this morning I received a call from the new owner...dun dun dun... don't even have to tell the rest.

So...is this lady at BMW misinformed or is the license department just lazy.  The lady spoke with such confidence  ::)

Now the owner went straight to the license department (rookie mistake in my opinion).  We have a local company doing roadworthy testing and they do these things on your behalf.

Question then...  Do the documents need to be sent back to me now in order to resolve this on my end first or does this chap just need a good contact on his end.  The new owner is from Cape Town.

Thank you in advance for all the insightful comments that will follow  ;) :thumleft:

Simple - She was mistaken ...in fact just plain wrong

Get the buyer to send all docs back to you

Go and re register the bike so that you are listed as both title holder and owner on new registration certificate

Send new registration certificate back to buyer AND also hand in change of ownership yellow form in your municipality because some municipalities will not process a re registration to new owner if there is not a change of ownership on the system

The older I get the faster I was

Offline TheHamster

• Formerly neil-ph
  • Race Dog
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 12:42:28 pm »

This is the process I'm familiar with.

But the BMW lady said no, you can send them straight from the bank to the new owner
Absolutely not.

Once paid off you need the bank to send you the papers which you then register in your name. Remember whilst on HP the bike is in the banks name.

Only when you have registered in your name can you go through the next process of Change of Ownership into the new buyer name etc....

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk

Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 12:59:12 pm »
Here by us lately they refuse to process Change of Ownership without a roadworthy included in transaction.... previously you could do the Change of ownership and submit the roadworthy when licence disc expired to obtain new disc.... I know this because I have done it that way many times in past... last two transactions were now refused without roadworthy.
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2021, 01:22:26 pm »
Buyer will have to courier the Docs to you (ALL of them).

You must have the Change of Ownership filled in by the BMW Finance Proxy, and his ID, those Docs are then used to register the bike in your name (Owner and Title Holder).......your name must appear on those 2 places on the Natis, only then can you transfer Ownership.

With the current Natis in the Buyer's hands, Ownership still vests in BMW Finance (on the Natis), and the Proxy ID and Letter and Change of Ownership attached is ONLY for YOU to change Title Holder Status.

Get the Natis, register in your name, MAKE SURE the licence is still valid, and only then can you fill in the Change of Ownership forms as Transferor, and Buyer as Transferee.

Its a bit of a schlepp..........MAAR ook maar ter wille van bedrog/safety - enige ou kan tog nie enige Bank Natis op sy naam sit nie.
XT 600 Tenere

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2021, 01:25:36 pm »
Here by us lately they refuse to process Change of Ownership without a roadworthy included in transaction.... previously you could do the Change of ownership and submit the roadworthy when licence disc expired to obtain new disc.... I know this because I have done it that way many times in past... last two transactions were now refused without roadworthy.

They have no idea how it works.

RWC never never ever required for Registration.

Only for Licencing.

Two completely different transactions.
XT 600 Tenere

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 03:15:49 pm »
Was the Bike financed at some stage?? The Papers you gave the Buyer, is the Title Holder and You the same, or is the Title Holder a Bank (Wesbank, BMW Finance, etc etc)?
If so, then you would have to first register in your name (Titleholder AND Owner), and then Buyer can register in his name from there.
Enige ou kan tog nie Grunder en (bv) Wesbank se bike op sy naam gaan sit nie.
Die Proxy wat jy saamgekry het (as dit financed was) is bedoel vir op JOU naam sit..........dit moet eerste gebeur, en van daar kan jy as Titelhouer EN Eienaar die COO (Change of Ownership) invul na volgende Eienaar (Koper).

Thats how I have it.
Cool dankie.

Sal my leer om vir 'n vrou te luister...

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 09:37:38 am »
So I got the documents back, I am now the official owner.

They took the new owners ID and did a notice of transfer.

They sent me this document.  Now again I got the advice from the guys doing the registrations of vehicles.... They said this paper is all that is needed to go with the certificate registration

I just wanna double  check before I send it off.

Offline Grunder

• Race Dog
  • Maak 'n koffie
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 09:38:24 am »

Offline TheHamster

• Formerly neil-ph
  • Race Dog
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 10:33:06 am »

This document is your proof that Change of Ownership was done. If the new owner racks up any fines before the bike is officially registered in his name, they are sent to you unless you can prove ownership had already changed hands when the fines were written - and this is the  document you need to prove it.

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 12:45:56 pm »

They have no idea how it works.

RWC never never ever required for Registration.

Only for Licencing.

Two completely different transactions.

They make their own rules Petri.... it changes on a regualr basis  >:(
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 01:40:29 pm »
Send the buyer the

1. new original registration certificate showing you as both the owner and title holder

2. a copy of that change of ownership receipt

The older I get the faster I was

The following users thanked this post: Grunder