Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Advise PLEASE....Entering Lesotho - Requirements?  (Read 156 times)

Offline petri oosthuizen

Advise PLEASE....Entering Lesotho - Requirements?
« on: May 26, 2021, 07:35:07 pm »
Evening Guys

Not bike related per se, but obviously travel related.

We're planning our tri-annual (OK before 2020 :() trip to Ha Lejone to go fishing with the boat.

What are the current requirements on entering Lesotho WRT Covid regulations??

Test compulsory?

And if so, how long would that test be "valid"??

Any other info we should know of (Covid related regulations etc etc)....??

BAIE DANKIE :thumleft:
XT 600 Tenere

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
Re: Advise PLEASE....Entering Lesotho - Requirements?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 08:08:15 am »
Evening Guys

Not bike related per se, but obviously travel related.

We're planning our tri-annual (OK before 2020 :() trip to Ha Lejone to go fishing with the boat.

What are the current requirements on entering Lesotho WRT Covid regulations??

Test compulsory?

And if so, how long would that test be "valid"??

Any other info we should know of (Covid related regulations etc etc)....??

BAIE DANKIE :thumleft:

Hi Petri!

We've been looking at the same thing.  Obviously papers, etc. are required for all vehicles' cross-border travel, but Covid-specifically you need a negative PCR (NOT the cheap antigen) test younger than 3 days to cross the border going either way (into Lesotho and back into South Africa).

This likely means that, unless you only intend staying for a very short time, you would need to get tested in Lesotho to be able to come back out. 

There's a PathCare in Maseru that does testing, results in 24-48 hours: https://www.pathcare.co.za/store-locations/maseru/

I have not found any other testing centres.

Edit: I have found this though, which may suggest that you may be tested at the ZA border side, and may not require a test from some pathologist in Lesotho.
https://www.gov.za/speeches/antigen-tests-be-rolled-out-points-entry-8-oct-2020-0000
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:10:14 am by IDR »
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 11:04:25 am »
What bothers me, is that I read that only essential services/students etc etc can enter, NOT tourists.....??

We're towing little boats through the border posts, so ja.........we're tourists.

But I'll call Caledonspoort today and just find out, sold a car to a lady there recently. But still worried about this........ ::)
XT 600 Tenere

Offline Amsterdam

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 04:22:06 pm »
I was in Lesotho about a month ago.  To get in you need the PCR test and an affidavit stating why you are going in (which has to be a business reason).  We crossed at Wepener going in and the policeman at the border wrote out our affidavit for us.  We left via the border post at Maseru.  There is a testing station on the South African side where for R 300 they will do the rapid antigen test for you.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 890 Rally

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 04:34:32 pm »
I was in Lesotho about a month ago.  To get in you need the PCR test and an affidavit stating why you are going in (which has to be a business reason).  We crossed at Wepener going in and the policeman at the border wrote out our affidavit for us.  We left via the border post at Maseru.  There is a testing station on the South African side where for R 300 they will do the rapid antigen test for you.

Dankie Waardeer!! Die stukkie in rooi hierbo pla my..........damn :'( :-\
XT 600 Tenere

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 11:19:25 am »
UPDATE, may be of help to someone :

Just called a mate of mine, he works at the Diamnond Mines and enters there twice a week (Caledonspoort)

1) Lesotho is definitely open for Tourism - that was my biggest concern

2) Apparently you cannot do some quick test at C/Poort, that he knows of

3) You must present a negative Test at the Post, and that's valid for 14 days

.........I'd just like to find out if there's another test that's acceptable instead of the Pathcare one. Damn expensive, at around R 900 each. :o :(
XT 600 Tenere

Offline Amsterdam

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 12:38:41 pm »
Interesting, clearly different requirements at different border posts unless there have been changes in the last few weeks.  We first tried to go in at Tele Bridge but that border post has been closed for over a year.  Good luck, hope you can go in and enjoy it without a problem.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 890 Rally

The following users thanked this post: petri oosthuizen