Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Peaks on helmets  (Read 452 times)

Offline masehare

Peaks on helmets
« on: June 04, 2021, 04:45:03 pm »
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I bought a new (brand name withheld) peaked adventure helmet a couple of months ago. It's presented two problems:
- on one trip the helmet rotated upwards on my head when I sat up from behind the screen. The wind caught the peak. It's really my fault as the strap could have been tighter. But it was quite scary as you can't see anything in front of you while travelling at 100km/h.
- I did a long trip to Tankwa and on the way back drove into the wind most of the time. It was a constant fight to keep my head straight and the wind noise coming from the helmet led to a lot of fatigue.

So the other day I removed the peak, plakked a strip of tape across the top of the visor (for the sun) and went on a long test ride. It's an insane difference. The constant noise is gone and my head stays stable. Even more noticeable when driving behind a bakkie or van.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is a helmet might be more comfortable on a ride if you remove the peak. I suppose it also boils down to peak design and the average speed you'll be doing. I didn't really notice it that much on the plastic bike, but more on my GS at higher speeds.
Profile for wepenerc100

take me down to the Salt Lake City where there’s salt and lakes and the lakes are salty

Offline swakop_toe

Re: Peaks on helmets
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 04:52:15 pm »
I often move the peak off my Shoei Hornet when I do long tar stretch. Three screws with a 20c coin, 5 minutes.

Sent from my BBA100-2 using Tapatalk

Offline @offroad

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 05:02:00 pm »
Ja - I either remove the peak or lower the windscreen so that the air coming off the windscreen hits me in the chest well below the helmet.
Colin

2017 BMW R 1200 GS with a few farkles.

I never take the shortest route.

Offline Buffel B

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • BMW R1200 GSA LC
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 06:06:58 pm »
Ja - I either remove the peak or lower the windscreen so that the air coming off the windscreen hits me in the chest well below the helmet.
Ek gaan dit probeer, thx
Volg die Renoster-metode : "Kop-af en beur-vorentoe"

Offline skydiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 06:26:17 pm »
I've never experienced such an issue with my Airoh peaked DS helmet (5 years)
Only complaint I have is wind noise (as with most helmets)

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 06:45:26 pm »
I've always removed or not installed the peaks on all my helmets - I often ride fast, so peaks would be problematic in my opinion

Apart from the speed problem, do peaks actually serve a purpose? (except if you are often riding against the sun)

Are peaks not similar to riding whilst standing? To look cool, jy weet?

Offline M3X3Z3

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 09:38:11 pm »
When riding into the late afternoon sun or at night when on coming cars leave their brights on, dip your head a bit and the peak makes for a very useful sun visor.
Now: Honda XR250  KTM 690R  KTM 500
Then: XR650R  TE510  TE630  SMS630  690R

The following users thanked this post: HB 9

Online Blikkies1

It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline NEON DEON

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 06:28:32 am »
One possible problem that is often missed is the size of the helmet purchased , Helmet must always be comfortably tight on your head , if the wind could tilt the helmet up then I would say its at least one size to big . the chin strap is there to hold the helmet onto your head , if it can still  rotate then to big . my opinion .
My first DS helmet was a JUST 1 , found it to be a bit noisy , but did a Cape tour with it , Also found it to be shaky in cross winds , upgraded to a Airho Commander , found it to be a awesome helmet for the price , yes I would love a Hornet , but 10k is out of my reach .
Proper helmet fitment is the best starting point , I always advise it like buying good leather shoes , needs to hurt a bit when new not take the shape of your head , sit comfortably tight  without hurting , then its the right helmet for your head . Even after about 2 years the cheek pads still push my cheeks in , and the helmet is still a tight fit .

Offline RyanI

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 09:08:00 am »
Interesting thread this as I have recently taken the plunge and bought a new BMW EVO Adventure Helmet (first time spending proper money on a helmet). The helmet is probably the most comfortable I have ever worn and the visor is fantastic. BUUUUUT, there is a whistle sound that I have never heard before with a helmet. I normally commute with a System 6 which is perfect in every way and for the last 10 years I have ridden with Aeroh S3, then S4 Adv helmets and can never remember any kind of whistle sound.  I use ear plugs on long trips but even without  the ear plugs, there was a fair amount of wind noise but no whistle.

I have tried every possible angle on the peak and no change. After spending close on R10k for a helmet I am quite disappointed. I have not tried removing the peak yet which will be my next step to try and understand what is causing this sound. That said, I dont want to ride without a peak as I often ride into the sun on my way to work and back and it is very helpful. (which is why I don't wear the System 6 road helmet during this time of year).       
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline Roxtar

• REV IT UP
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Aka Sprocket Face
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 10:43:03 am »
One possible problem that is often missed is the size of the helmet purchased , Helmet must always be comfortably tight on your head , if the wind could tilt the helmet up then I would say its at least one size to big . the chin strap is there to hold the helmet onto your head , if it can still  rotate then to big . my opinion .
My first DS helmet was a JUST 1 , found it to be a bit noisy , but did a Cape tour with it , Also found it to be shaky in cross winds , upgraded to a Airho Commander , found it to be a awesome helmet for the price , yes I would love a Hornet , but 10k is out of my reach .
Proper helmet fitment is the best starting point , I always advise it like buying good leather shoes , needs to hurt a bit when new not take the shape of your head , sit comfortably tight  without hurting , then its the right helmet for your head . Even after about 2 years the cheek pads still push my cheeks in , and the helmet is still a tight fit .

Deon is hitting the nail on the head.... I commute daily with the 990 with a peaked helmet... often touch 180-200kmh and NEVER have this issue of helmet rotating upward....helmet MUST be a tight fit, more so when new  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:43:42 am by Roxtar »
Long live the Underdog.........

Offline GSpot

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 01:58:56 pm »
I had a BMW Enduro helmet that use to vibrate due to the wind and the simple solution was adding a small weight (those wheel balancing weights with the adhesive) to the peak on the bottom side - all sorted and you cannot even see it
https://advrider.com/f/threads/annoying-vibration-from-helmet-peak-sorted.1457096/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 02:00:04 pm by GSpot »
Do it the beemer style