Peaks on helmets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masehare

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I bought a new (brand name withheld) peaked adventure helmet a couple of months ago. It's presented two problems:
- on one trip the helmet rotated upwards on my head when I sat up from behind the screen. The wind caught the peak. It's really my fault as the strap could have been tighter. But it was quite scary as you can't see anything in front of you while travelling at 100km/h.
- I did a long trip to Tankwa and on the way back drove into the wind most of the time. It was a constant fight to keep my head straight and the wind noise coming from the helmet led to a lot of fatigue.

So the other day I removed the peak, plakked a strip of tape across the top of the visor (for the sun) and went on a long test ride. It's an insane difference. The constant noise is gone and my head stays stable. Even more noticeable when driving behind a bakkie or van.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is a helmet might be more comfortable on a ride if you remove the peak. I suppose it also boils down to peak design and the average speed you'll be doing. I didn't really notice it that much on the plastic bike, but more on my GS at higher speeds.