Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Husky 701 broken top triple clamp.  (Read 711 times)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
Re: Husky 701 broken top triple clamp.
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2021, 08:26:29 pm »
Thank Dom, that clears this up.

Where I am confused is why there are two offset markings as I am unaware that there is offset adjustment on this triple?  ???  I wonder if it changed with the 2020/21 change in suspension and fork travel? Maybe Eddie can clarify?

I'll ask Eddie tomorrow.

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2021, 06:56:07 am »
Yes it is the offset. I had a Speedbrain XTrig adjustable triple set for my G450X and it had similar markings.
Interesting... what offset would that be? And how does one adjust between the two?
Ok wait I see it, I think. There is an insert of sorts that seems like it can be rotated to have the dimple at the top (22mm) or the bottom(24mm). This will adjust the distance that the forks are from the center of the steering stem, effectively, hence changing trail of the wheel... and steering responses, etc.

But, am I correct in assuming the bottom triple clamp must also be adjusted the same? Otherwise the forks won't sit perfectly perpendicilar to the triple clamps, and you're adjusting rake angle too. Or is that amount of "non-perpendicularness" not really an issue?

Offline teebag

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 07:35:24 am »
Quick and easy offset adjustment between 20 mm or 22 mm:
Disassembly of the front wheel and fork is not necessary!
The triple clamp-offset is the distance of the horizontal center line of both fork tubes to the center of the steering axis, about which the fork legs are offset from the steering axis (referred to as dimension X). The offset set can be seen at a glance by the marking on the triple clamp.
Offset adjustment options:
Shorter offset: Stability on short straights
Longer offset: easier and faster turning into bends

Offline BuRP

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2021, 08:43:03 am »
OomD,

a longer offset (i.e highest angle) will also be a bit more stable in sand as it does same-ish as dropping the rear.
You may want to try this mebbe?  ;)
Don't expect to walk on water suddenly but all little bits help.....
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2021, 09:12:28 am »
Yes it is the offset. I had a Speedbrain XTrig adjustable triple set for my G450X and it had similar markings.
Interesting... what offset would that be? And how does one adjust between the two?
Ok wait I see it, I think. There is an insert of sorts that seems like it can be rotated to have the dimple at the top (22mm) or the bottom(24mm). This will adjust the distance that the forks are from the center of the steering stem, effectively, hence changing trail of the wheel... and steering responses, etc.

But, am I correct in assuming the bottom triple clamp must also be adjusted the same? Otherwise the forks won't sit perfectly perpendicilar to the triple clamps, and you're adjusting rake angle too. Or is that amount of "non-perpendicularness" not really an issue?

On the XTrig Yes the bottom has two bolts and it gets swopped there as well.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: OomD

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2021, 09:32:28 am »
OomD,

a longer offset (i.e highest angle) will also be a bit more stable in sand as it does same-ish as dropping the rear.
You may want to try this mebbe?  ;)
Don't expect to walk on water suddenly but all little bits help.....
Thanks, was thinking of this too, just didn't want to hijack 2SD's thread. But, if you say it is the "highest angle" it implies only the top triple is adjusted? Because if you adjust both your angle will remain the same (although the trail will change).

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2021, 09:44:11 am »
Okay don't worry, please ignore my stupidity. My google-fu showed me that the top and bottom is adjusted simultaneously, mostly by means of the steering stem. Sorry I (wrongly) assumed the top and bottom can adjust separately.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2021, 04:10:43 pm »
Eddie, the Cape dealer for Husky says that the 22-24 is the offset, the torque of the stem bolt is 15Nm. :biggrin:

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2021, 05:20:18 pm »

Eddie, the Cape dealer for Husky says that the 22-24 is the offset, the torque of the stem bolt is 15Nm. :biggrin:

As I said ... except the torque spec of the stem bolts is 12Nm NOT 15Nm. Yes I sound like a stuck record - close but no cigar for Eddie  8)
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky: