Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Costly (steering lock) habit  (Read 851 times)

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
Costly (steering lock) habit
« on: June 07, 2021, 10:06:47 am »
My CRF250L was stolen out of my business parking area in Blaauwberg Road, Table View, Cape Town last week (1 June 2021). Could it have been prevented by engaging the steering lock?

After any such an event some soul searching is called for. I am in the habit of parking, hopping off and there you go. No one is going to steal my bike, right?
It sounds like a bike theft syndicate is operating in the area. Two guys on a bike. They search for stealable bikes. The theft happens in seconds. In my case one walked in, pushed the bike out the gate and down the street, and they were gone, most probably in seconds. Later one was seen travelling in a southerly direction in Koeberg Road, so the bike must have been hot wired close by.

There are many ways to stop theft. Fitting a disk brake lock or cable is one way, but it remains a schlep. Engaging the steering lock would have made the bike run in circles only, eating into the precious seconds needed to do the deed. At 144kg the bike is light enough to lift, but two guys carrying a bike by its front wheel could have woken suspicion and kept them from moving as fast as they did.

Not locking the steering has been my bad habit for many years, and the habit has proven to be a costly one. I am not alone. Many bikers visit my shop and we walk to their bikes. In many years only one had the steering lock engaged, so I am not the only one. I think we conveniently forget.

The habit of engaging the steering lock is easy, and it is free (preinstalled on the bike). There is a fair chance that my bike would not have been stolen should it have been engaged I think.

So, do you use your bike's steering lock?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:52:19 am by Jacobsroodt »
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: Costly habit
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 11:02:16 am »
lock the steering and use a disc lock

but the steering lock will only prevent the most dumbest of thieves - you can break it without any tools and just using the handlebar and some force
but it is still better than not locking it at all.

if they want it they will take it

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Online blockheadxl650v

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 11:06:16 am »
I had forgotten that my bike has a steering lock.

Online blockheadxl650v

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 11:17:46 am »
Ok so went to see how my steering lock works. So locked the steering and now I can't get it unlocked. What now? :imaposer:

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 11:20:43 am »
A steering lock on a CRF is not gonna stop it getting nicked.  2 okes can chuck that thing in a van, steering locked or not.  I've seen videos of GS's being loaded on a bakkie and gone in a couple minutes.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Online Blikkies1

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 11:23:00 am »
50/50 for me, don't use it when I pop in somewhere but do use it if I know I'm going to be a while, back in normal times I used to park on Bird St in Stellies all day which forced the habit of using it. It's weird that tracking systems aren't readily available for bikes from the big names like Netstar etc, I called them all when I got my bike but nada.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 11:58:47 am »
I do, religiously. (After my new 800GSA was stolen and the steering ... was not locked)
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Online Exploratio

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
  • Deo, patriae, amicus
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:03 pm »

And I forgot about the disc lock. A rather embarrassing tip over resulted.
XL700V Transalp
XL1000V Varadero
VFR1200X Crosstourer

Offline blackbird

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 01:47:22 pm »

And I forgot about the disc lock. A rather embarrassing tip over resulted.
Tony @Bobby Chang did it at the 1000 bike show, i nearly cried laughing. I use my steering lock every night, and the bikes are cable locked to concrete blocks in floor, behind 2 gates. If the basteds whant them, they will take them.
Jaag en vat kanse, moenie indruk nie, die boek is klaar geskryf!

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 04:16:33 pm »
I'm in category 2. (rare occasion, when I think about it). Only ever had one bike stolen when parked, by the type of thieves who would have stolen it any way no matter what.

Sure, steering locks are weak things, easily forced, but for what they're worth and the time it takes there's no sense being a lazy thoughtless sod like me.  :deal:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2021, 04:30:36 pm »
I'm in category 2. (rare occasion, when I think about it). Only ever had one bike stolen when parked, by the type of thieves who would have stolen it any way no matter what.

Sure, steering locks are weak things, easily forced, but for what they're worth and the time it takes there's no sense being a lazy thoughtless sod like me:deal:
Don't be so hard on yourself Brother :ricky:
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2021, 04:54:12 pm »
I lock the steering only when I will be parked in 'dodgy' areas or parked for longer periods, like at home.

I used to always carry my helmet with me, but now leave it on my bike mirror - I have an alarm and have tried to remove the helmet without triggering the alarm...... impossible
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:45:47 pm by Bundu »

Online blockheadxl650v

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2021, 06:11:56 pm »
After struggling for 3 hours wiggling the key I won't be using my steering lock again.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 08:43:24 pm »
After struggling for 3 hours wiggling the key I won't be using my steering lock again.
Rusted and clogged due to disuse? :imaposer:

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 09:00:16 pm »
:lol8: :lol8: can you imagine the good security you'd have, even if the thief had your keys  ;) :biggrin:

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 09:13:03 pm »
Die fokkers gee nie om of die bike gesluit is met steering of disk slotte, hulle tel hom op en dra hom weg na 'n voertuig, :patch:

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 12:06:26 pm »
A steering lock on a CRF is not gonna stop it getting nicked.  2 okes can chuck that thing in a van, steering locked or not.  I've seen videos of GS's being loaded on a bakkie and gone in a couple minutes.

Although I agree with you. Ive seen 1200GS being loaded into a taxi.. but, if its during the day and the bike is in a parking lot at your work, a few guys trying to carry a bike is going to raise a lot more alarm than someone just pushing it.

Personally, i'm guilty of never using a steering lock but when my son got his bike I drilled it into him and I notice that he does it now without even thinking.

I think that if I had to park my bike in the same place at work every day the simple solution would be to have a plastic coated cable go around a tree and through the frame with a padlock.. done.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 12:07:59 pm by Fuzzy Muzzy »
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Race Dog
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 08:51:53 am »
I am delighted to see more riders using their steering lock than not. I forgot again this morning, but remembered yesterday. Guess it takes 21 days to form a habit...