Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Adventure Magazine  (Read 6874 times)

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: Adventure/Ds Magazines
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2008, 08:41:27 pm »
ZOO. of course ,thanks shark.
my memory is buggered since my last accident,
anyway c.n.a. was making a bucketful of cash from them every week and wanted desperately to get a "throw-away" weekly back on the shelves but zoo were using all the left over content that they had from the fhm brand,"same offices and same people",mostly anyway.so apart from staff,it wasnt too expensive to run.
thats how they were able to put it out for so long before the management decided to put all of its resources and cash into fhm,both print and internet.
 fhm  is one of the only publications to continue to expand its readership every month! its also one of the few magazines that is so "attractive" that women buy it!
females make up a large portion of the sales,and enter their competitions in the hundreds!..
i havent seen one in months,god i feel like going out and buying one...............................
We miss 100% of the shots we never take.

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2008, 08:45:34 pm »
Hrm,

okay .. what about a free magazine... ? yes it might not sound financially viable, but  im sure a niche product can be established.

I dont need the likes of RNA to distribute my shit. I can do that myself.  I dont know if a magazine of its kind and being free has ever existed.

I already know a lot about pissing independent newspapers off.. I do that naturally by cutting away a piece of their pie... (they seem to think its theirs anyhow)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:48:03 pm by Stev0 »

Offline TerrorSA

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Autoland PE - William Moffett Exp
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2008, 08:49:56 pm »
Noble idea, if you do it, do it to compete against BikeSA.

Do it for all bikers  :thumleft:
Truimph Tiger 800 XCX
Yamaha XT660R

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2008, 08:56:17 pm »
a freebie wont work as the quality will suffer,and the biggest hassle is of course once people have had something for nothing they will never pay for it.
how happy are you paying toll fee`s

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2008, 09:00:41 pm »
a freebie wont work as the quality will suffer,and the biggest hassle is of course once people have had something for nothing they will never pay for it.
how happy are you paying toll fee`s

hrm... depending on what the publisher decides to print on.

ive seen a couple of mags with ludacris ad rates and shelf prices print on crap paper.

I believe that if you can cover your cost with advertising, the shelf sales is just a bonus.

Of hand  a 64pg self cover 90 gsm gloss mag would more then likely be in the region of 60-80k to have printed.

Thats average R1000 to break even per page, should you wish to break it down that way.

we all know that advertising does not come that cheap.

Page through mr BARK SA..

how many pages of full page ads do you see...

Offline sillystunt

• Race Dog
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008, 09:25:22 pm »
it will cost you at least 500 bucks a page to get it to the shelves.
you wont believe what it costs just to have the mags put on a pallet and transported to where you want them,and tons of other costs that you might or not be thinking about right now.
make a dummy,doesnt matter if you rip the pages from an old bike mag,just make a dummy ,by using a clip folder and clear plastic sheets, and go to ctp in cape town and ask them to quote you to print 5000 copies.same gram paper as topbike,cover gram slightly heavier.of course you will supply discs with dummy in future.
you will be starting a new mag in feb and need to do costing,they are the most helpfull bunch.i dealt with a guy called rod,anyway ask who deals with the j.t. publishing magazine as this guy will give you the most detailed quote ,transport,fetch,carry, run ons ,packing and every connection you will need.
i would offer him lunch and ask can you pick his brains,i was thrown in the deep end once and he threw me a lifeline.
maybe this will help?

Grunt

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2008, 09:29:11 pm »
Hrm,

okay .. what about a free magazine... ? yes it might not sound financially viable, but  im sure a niche product can be established.

I dont need the likes of RNA to distribute my shit. I can do that myself.  I dont know if a magazine of its kind and being free has ever existed.

I already know a lot about pissing independent newspapers off.. I do that naturally by cutting away a piece of their pie... (they seem to think its theirs anyhow)

Most e-zines are free.... I think

There is a newspaper in Port Alfred called 'Talk of the Town'. It started as a husband/wife back yard job printed on Xerox paper A3 paper. It built up a huge local following and advertisers flocked to do business. Johnnic bought it some years later in a multi million deal.

work can work.

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12:18 pm »
Grunt , this wont be an Ezine  but a proper A4 free gloss magazine.

Ezines can be put together.. but i feel its too cheap to be called publishing ...

Offline Sprocketbek

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2008, 11:53:22 pm »
Hendrik Verwoerd had a very nice free F1 - Ezine going, and then it became subscribe-only.

Is it still going?

He used to be a keen biker too, lots of media experience. Might be a good dude to talk to.
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2008, 12:01:03 am »
Hendrik Verwoerd had a very nice free F1 - Ezine going, and then it became subscribe-only.

Is it still going?

He used to be a keen biker too, lots of media experience. Might be a good dude to talk to.

thats what ultimately happens.. everything is free untill the need becomes so big that the publishers get greedy

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2008, 08:01:48 am »

Is it still going?

thats what ultimately happens.. everything is free untill the need becomes so big that the publishers get greedy

Or he just needs to make up some cost, and in the end, like any good oke, wants to charge for his expertise and know how, and his time invested in bringing the info to other people.

Nothing has to be free, I will my dues for a proper mag anytime.  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:02:19 am by michnus »

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2008, 08:31:37 am »
The real free reason could well be to get past the stockists. If it is such an issue to get into the store and they take nearly 40 percent. why bother at all. a free medium will more then likely have a higher readership, much quicker

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2008, 08:40:14 am »
Steve, when is my first copy getting to my mailbox ....  :ricky:
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline Buller

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • "Do not go North of the Tugela"
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2008, 08:42:29 am »
SteveO, what you can also think about, is to create a separate supplement mag to an already established and successful magazine focusing on outdoors, and travels.
I'm talking about something a little more consistent than SuperBike's adventure supplement, and your supplement should be included in a magazine like Gateway or even Top Car (that's actually how TopBike started, but that's an old story).  That way, you can start getting existing readers' awareness on what you do.  And if you do it right and get a lot of positive feedback from your host magazine, just depart from it and run it and sell it like a normal bike magazine.

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2008, 08:43:48 am »
Ek dink dit sal werk, wie nie waag nie, wen nie.
Of so iets?

Offline Briekmerk

• Previously CJ
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Durbanville
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2008, 08:53:42 am »
You work for Hustler...... that's my dream job!

Hey if ever the guy leaves that puts all the stars on the tits.. please keep me in-mind  ;)

The only part i understand

Offline letsgofishing

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2008, 11:20:18 am »
Grunt , this wont be an Ezine  but a proper A4 free gloss magazine.

Ezines can be put together.. but i feel its too cheap to be called publishing ...

Check out www.windingroad.com - stunning pics, well written articles etc.
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2008, 01:25:41 pm »
Okay, thought about it this way today.

Free published magazine (adventure - biking/4x4/lifestyle, distributed at Bikeshops/4x4 accessory  stores and obviously motorcycle accessory stores.

There will also be an Online Pdf version - EZine copy of the mag available that will also be free to download.

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2008, 01:40:52 pm »
Okay, thought about it this way today.

Free published magazine (adventure - biking/4x4/lifestyle, distributed at Bikeshops/4x4 accessory  stores and obviously motorcycle accessory stores.

There will also be an Online Pdf version - EZine copy of the mag available that will also be free to download.

Stev0 Free sounds a bit cheap  :-\ why don't you put a price on it to add some value? You know what I'm saying? You don't want any oke to just take a copy cos it's free, putting a price on it of even R10 will help you to ensure to your advertisers that the mag is going to future consumers and not just a guy who takes anything that's free.

By putting a price on it you give the mag credibility.
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline Stev0

• Bikeloos...
  • Race Dog
  • dot dot dot
    • Adventure Magazine
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:02 pm »
Yeah, I see your point. The magazine price could go to the seller. that way he can punt  the mag!