Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bmw F650 Dakar Engine Repair  (Read 333 times)

Offline awdippenaar123

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
Bmw F650 Dakar Engine Repair
« on: June 09, 2021, 10:29:04 am »
Good morning everyone

I've got the opportunity to get a hold of a Bmw F650GS Dakar with 80000km at a very good price. Owner says it needs a new battery and something does not sound well with the engine but it runs. They do not seem to know what could be the issue. I just want an indication as i am new to the GS game, as to anyone thinks i should go for the deal and fix it up.

And also for worst case scenario if the engine is fried how much would it cost to get it running well again?

Regards

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Bmw F650 Dakar Engine Repair
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 10:32:14 am »
Timing chain?
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

The following users thanked this post: awdippenaar123

Offline blockheadxl650v

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 10:35:53 am »
That's a difficult question to answer. Why don't you get a battery and start it and then try and make a decision from there. There are a few guys in the western cape that have a lot of 2nd hand spares for them. Unfortunately I don't have there numbers but they advertise on facebook Market place.
3IG 3ALLS

Offline awdippenaar123

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 10:36:35 am »
It probably could be the timing chain. I haven't gone to see the bike as I don't want to waste my time hence me first getting some input. But as i saw from other posts the 650's are quite reliable but i just want to get someone elses inputs.

Offline blockheadxl650v

3IG 3ALLS

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1984 Honda XL600R

Offline WillemInsit

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 11:05:59 am »
2nd Hand parts are available, if it starts and makes a noise, might be the tensioner, R1800 etc

Offline Ragbert

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • It's never to late!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 12:54:46 pm »
These Rotax motors are built proof, mine is on 110k km's and sounds almost like new. These bikes are very temperamental with regards to battery related issue. Ensure the battery is fully charged and in good condition, secure the terminals properly. Start and observe. Do you know the year model? Twin spark vs single spark?
BMW F650GS Dakar '03

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 01:13:18 pm »
These Rotax motors are built proof, mine is on 110k km's and sounds almost like new. These bikes are very temperamental with regards to battery related issue. Ensure the battery is fully charged and in good condition, secure the terminals properly. Start and observe. Do you know the year model? Twin spark vs single spark?

I agree on this one. We just sold my wife's Dakar with 130 000km on the clock and the bike was still running like a swiss watch.

I think the bike that he is referring to is a 2006 model. I saw a add on Gumtree with almost the same wording / issues, so I assume that it's the bike that he is talking about.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1984 Honda XL600R

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 02:29:48 pm »
Go have a look at it - if it starts and idles OK, you are already onto something - check all the obvious - water in the oil, oil in the water, check oil levels, look for leaks - especially water pump leaking (bottom left on motor), if there is weeping, you are in for a water-pump, but tbh, I would do this anyway, its a wear part...., Check spark plugs (if possible), look for leaking shocks, all the usual. Oh - rattling on the head is usually the gaps on the cams, easy fix, but when they get out of spec, the bike is hard to start and idles badly.
Strong motors, easy enough to work on.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 06:20:36 pm »
Im going to be more negative. You might need new spares. I look after a couple of F800GSs for clients. Anything new is expensive and often on back order. What do you consider to be a good price?

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 10:25:17 am »
If it is a 2006 it will be twin spark.  If the outer sitck coil is buggered, the motor will still run fine.  If, however, the inner stick coil is gone, the motor will idle but sound terrible.  You will be able to ride it, but only at about 20 or 30 km/h.  Faster than that it will not go.

I have had 2 clients that swore blind they needed motor rebuilds when all it was was the inner stick coil.

Easy enough to check.  Just swap the 2 coils around.  They won't fit correctly, but will be good enough just to test.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 10:26:29 am by Jughead »
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 04:44:58 pm »
If it is a 2006 it will be twin spark.  If the outer sitck coil is buggered, the motor will still run fine.  If, however, the inner stick coil is gone, the motor will idle but sound terrible.  You will be able to ride it, but only at about 20 or 30 km/h.  Faster than that it will not go.

I have had 2 clients that swore blind they needed motor rebuilds when all it was was the inner stick coil.

Easy enough to check.  Just swap the 2 coils around.  They won't fit correctly, but will be good enough just to test.

You cant by advise like that!
Take it!
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"