Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Reasons for visiting Scandinavia  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Rob_A

Re: Reasons for visiting Scandinavia
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 07:45:01 am »
I've spent a fair bit of time in all seasons in a town called Sodankylla - about 150km north of the Arctic circle in Finland.
It's an interesting area - there are a bunch of things called "Every Mans Rights" - basically the right to freely explore the wilderness. At the same time, guys there will often spent their own free time randomly caring for and tending the forests. But there are also limits to it - not intruding on others, not messing things up, etc. The weather is fantastic - warm in Summer (about 25 degrees) and in my area it has about a month of continuous sunlight. Winter is cold, but you dress for it and you are prepared for it - I get colder here in JHB than I do in -30 winters there. There is always something to do. Summer is biking, cycling fly fishing, etc. and winter is Skiing, Snowmobiles, ice fishing, etc. basically your activities follow the seasons. It is not cheap though. And the Mosquitos are something else.
I'd live there in a heartbeat, but it will be difficult fitting in for most - the people and personalities are very different to anything you will have encountered here.
What he said - mosquitoes. If you plan to camp or stay in a cabin next to a lake be prepared. There are swarms of them.

Sent from my BV9500Pro using Tapatalk

There come  times in your life when you must say goodbye to the things you know & hi to the things you don't know.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 08:07:13 am »
I've spent a fair bit of time in all seasons in a town called Sodankylla - about 150km north of the Arctic circle in Finland.
It's an interesting area - there are a bunch of things called "Every Mans Rights" - basically the right to freely explore the wilderness. At the same time, guys there will often spent their own free time randomly caring for and tending the forests. But there are also limits to it - not intruding on others, not messing things up, etc. The weather is fantastic - warm in Summer (about 25 degrees) and in my area it has about a month of continuous sunlight. Winter is cold, but you dress for it and you are prepared for it - I get colder here in JHB than I do in -30 winters there. There is always something to do. Summer is biking, cycling fly fishing, etc. and winter is Skiing, Snowmobiles, ice fishing, etc. basically your activities follow the seasons. It is not cheap though. And the Mosquitos are something else.
I'd live there in a heartbeat, but it will be difficult fitting in for most - the people and personalities are very different to anything you will have encountered here.
What he said - mosquitoes. If you plan to camp or stay in a cabin next to a lake be prepared. There are swarms of them.

Sent from my BV9500Pro using Tapatalk
Like the flies in the Outback  :biggrin:
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Omninorm

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 11:06:46 am »
Can confirm.
The everyman right (In Norway) is basically applicable to "uncultivated land" which is practically everywhere where there are not homes or farms. Roads leading through them are open to use though unless locked which I have yet to come across.

Riding season, at least here in the South, will be between April - mid to end September. You can of course fit spikes if you want. Nice thing about riding in summer over here you can with sunshine until midnight. So I guess you get your double dose :)
Many of the guys ride ATV's in winter. Lots of trails you can go on and ride in the snow.
But yeah, not really riding in winter gives me time for snowboarding.

I walked down to the river near my house and did a bit of that fly fishing you speak of @GRIM  :)

Missing my 690 though, but will be trying out the Yamaha T7 in July.  Will make a plan next year perhaps to get  back on 2 wheels. Want to start doing all those trails voorvel posted. Also the Trans European Trail awaits.
https://transeurotrail.org/

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:50:35 pm by Omninorm »
Current: :
Previous:  KTM 690 Enduro R , BMW G310GS, BMW 1200GS LC, BMW F800GS, Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda Transalp XLV700, BMW Xchallenge, BMW Xcountry, Yamaha WR250F, Honda NC750X, Honda XR150, Kawasaki KLX450R, Yamaha YZ250, Kawasaki KX450, Yamaha YZ250F,  KTM 250 XCW, Yamaha DT125, Yamaha DT50, Honda NSR250, Yamaha RZ 50.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 11:57:38 am »
I'm starting to understand why they always score so well on the happiness indexes.

Rules are of course needed to maintain some form of order, but it seems that if applied+executed in a sensible way, its possible to have more freedom as a society.
If the level of trust improves, lesser rules are needed and more freedom of movement can be allowed.

This can be seen in the ability of free camping and exploring private property. Also in the way that the shelters are shared by all. Similar to how a community of developers contribute to the same open-source codebase, the shelters are often stocked with commodities by the community of users. 

So many dirt roads

Free shelters with no booking required

some of which are cabins

Free to camp wherever

You can also explore private property (by foot of course)

Check it out:

There are so many dirt roads... Why don't they just make the whole place a dirt road?! :lol8:

Why so many dirt roads?

(Nothing like the wild open spaces of Africa!)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 12:00:14 pm »
Scandinavian women would be my motivation.

Then again, I doubt the missus would be impressed nor do I think the Scandinavian lasses.  :biggrin:

Glad its not only me expecting a different thread when I clicked on it
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 02:14:56 pm »

I'm starting to understand why they always score so well on the happiness indexes.

Rules are of course needed to maintain some form of order, but it seems that if applied+executed in a sensible way, its possible to have more freedom as a society.
If the level of trust improves, lesser rules are needed and more freedom of movement can be allowed.

This can be seen in the ability of free camping and exploring private property. Also in the way that the shelters are shared by all. Similar to how a community of developers contribute to the same open-source codebase, the shelters are often stocked with commodities by the community of users. 

So many dirt roads

Free shelters with no booking required

some of which are cabins

Free to camp wherever

You can also explore private property (by foot of course)

Check it out:

There are so many dirt roads... Why don't they just make the whole place a dirt road?! 8:

Why so many dirt roads?

(Nothing like the wild open spaces of Africa!)

Lol
That's because of all the forests and it's zoomed out a lot.

You can't compare it to Africa, not even remotely.
Soos ek ges het; die mense daar is gelukkig vir n rede.

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience. (Fail 3/3)
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 02:24:53 pm »

Then again, I doubt the missus would be impressed nor do I think the Scandinavian lasses.  :biggrin:

In the wild old days of WDF this would be post 2 and not post 12.
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Actually its a Honda MT5
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2021, 02:32:29 pm »

In the wild old days of WDF this would be post 2 and not post 12.

:biggrin:

WE become woke ek se
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline JC

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2021, 04:20:31 pm »
Let's rather list the only challenge when visiting Sweden: the weather. I worked and studied in Lund, it is a lovely place.

my colleague in Lund bought a Harley this year, the weather can't be THAT bad  ;D He also has a few vintage MX bikes.

Offline Chemist

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2021, 07:43:18 pm »
I was always surprised with the amount of bikes and sports cars that gets "dusted off" on sunny days. We are simply spoiled with the fact that we can use our bikes all year round.

Online Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2021, 04:03:28 am »
Interesting thread, thanks  :thumleft: Scandinavia is on my bucket list to visit / ride bike in, but not to live.

Two of my 40-something Swedish clients immigrated to South Africa about 2 years ago, sak and pak with Swedish wives and children and are happily living here . They were here on holiday and loved it so much they moved here. The one's work is still Sweden- based but he does it all online from SA and the other one now works locally. They love it here and say they have no plans to go back. ( maybe they did not like fishing or skiing ?  :biggrin:)

I think the lovely year long mostly nice weather we have here has a lot to do with their decision.  :thumleft:

Offline Blou Zebu

• Alika voalohoany eto i'Madagasikara
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Justice, mercy and humble obedience. (Fail 3/3)
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2021, 07:20:04 am »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=259536

A Reason not to visit Scandinavia!
XT 350 STOLEN!!!!
DR650SE 2006 Ek en die Dominee gaan orals!

Let me know if youre ever in Madagascar.
Die paaie is lank, wild en woes!

Offline Master Beerkie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • Master Beerkie
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2021, 07:40:42 am »
My son emigrated there earlier this year. He says its a culture shock

@Gerrard  - agree fully with your son and there are also reasons not to visit Sweden at least.
My future ex worked in Gothenburg for a year and she found the swedes most anti-social.
2 things: Lagom (just the right amount) and Systembolaget (state owned monopoly on liquor sales). Go Google.
In most swedish municipalities it is forbidden to drink alcohol in public and overly happiness is frowned upon everywhere.
Die land is soos Potch varsity jy mag dans en spyker solank jy nie wys dat jy dit geniet nie
Tos plek punt - my 2c

A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.
As jy by 'n vurk kom, vat hom!

Presently: GT550, K100RS, 620 Duke, 950 Adv
Previously: TS185 (plaasbike), PE250, 420KDX, 450KDX, 600 Pantah, 1000 Jota (180), XRV 750

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2021, 09:27:04 am »
Looks beautiful

Imagine if that sentiment and culture was shared in Southern Africa ...

Exactly.. here we have farmers who lock gates on private roads just to try and save their stock
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Online Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2021, 05:42:34 pm »
My son emigrated there earlier this year. He says its a culture shock

@Gerrard  - agree fully with your son and there are also reasons not to visit Sweden at least.
My future ex worked in Gothenburg for a year and she found the swedes most anti-social.
2 things: Lagom (just the right amount) and Systembolaget (state owned monopoly on liquor sales). Go Google.
In most swedish municipalities it is forbidden to drink alcohol in public and overly happiness is frowned upon everywhere.
Die land is soos Potch varsity jy mag dans en spyker solank jy nie wys dat jy dit geniet nie
Tos plek punt - my 2c
haha I must agree, when I was younger and working in a pub on a Greek island for a while all the travellers drank lots but ohgosh, the Swedes would get ridiculously mortiyingly drunk in the most uncool way.  They would arrive for their holiday and a few minutes in , and in broad daylight , they would get motherless. ::) ::) ::) We always thought it was because alcohol was too expensive in Sweden but haha you've just explained it is because getting drunik is not allowed in Sweden  :imaposer: :imaposer:

Thanks for the links : I did google

haha Systembolaget :  "exists for one reason: To minimize alcohol-related problems by selling alcohol in a responsible way, without profit motive. Our vision is a society in which everyone can enjoy alcoholic drinks with consideration about health and without harming either themselves or others.https://www.omsystembolaget.se/english/ "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagom :" the word can be variously translated as "in moderation", "in balance", "perfect-simple", and "suitable" (in matter of amounts). Whereas words like sufficient and average suggest some degree of abstinence, scarcity, or failure, lagom carries the connotation of appropriateness, although not necessarily perfection. The archetypical Swedish proverb "Lagom r bst", literally "The right amount is best", is also translated as "Enough is as good as a feast",[1] or as "There is virtue in moderation".[

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2021, 08:34:18 pm »
Walk through the centre of any SA small town on any Saturday morning, and you regret not having Sweden's control over alcohol abuse.

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2021, 10:27:16 pm »
Lagom is definitely anti-saffer

This thread is about riding your/a damn bike there at some point in your life.-thats it...

I find it curious how some immediately tried to compare Sweden to ZA on the basis of permanent residency and having the one-trick weather pony do it's thing. Hahahaha 

I'm not saying you live in a shit hole country, I'm saying you should try to explore more.

The following users thanked this post: Cracker

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2021, 10:32:06 pm »
Lagom is definitely anti-saffer

This thread is about riding your/a damn bike there at some point in your life.-thats it...

I find it curious how some immediately tried to compare Sweden to ZA on the basis of permanent residency and having the one-trick weather pony do it's thing. Hahahaha 

I'm not saying you live in a shit hole country, I'm saying you should try to explore more.

[/quote

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Cracker

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR125L
  • Actually its a Honda MT5
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 10:32:29 pm »
Booze is expensive in Sweden. And ppl drink on weekends mostly.

An they can like to  drink lots.

But public drinking is frowned upon. Unlike here where its encouraged.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 10:44:02 pm »
Booze is expensive in Sweden. And ppl drink on weekends mostly.

An they can like to  drink lots.

But public drinking is frowned upon. Unlike here where its encouraged.
Getting sloshed and tripping over your own feet, is mos good football practice?

Clever folks those Brits.