Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Fixing my 2009 BMW G450X  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
Re: Fixing my 2009 BMW G450X
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2021, 08:06:23 am »
I'm glad that you managed to sort out the issues on your bike.

It least you had a good learning experience and got to know your bike  :thumleft:
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1984 Honda XL600R

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2021, 11:55:52 am »
We tackled Paarl Mountain yesterday, my first ever long ride on the bike. Although it wasn't smooth sailing, it was still great to be out on the bike.

I had problems with throttle delay or whatever it is called - it happens randomly almost like the bike is struggling to get fuel. So not sure if it is the petrol filter that is dirty or needs replacing. It was a bit scary when you are riding 90kph and you want to accelerate and only kicks in after a few seconds.

Also had problems with the bike dying on me before the day of the trip. Seems that the battery is dead for good, even after a full night's charge. So luckily one of our friends carried a portable jump starter to get me going when needed.

Returning home, my bike was sounding louder - not sure if it was a good thing or not. Turns out when we stopped at our friend's home for coffee, the exhaust come loose in the middle. You can see that the middle section is clearly aftermarket and missing a mounting and spring to keep the exhaust in place. We fitted it with a clamp ring to keep it in place for time being.

Despite the issues, it was fun doing some dirt for a change but I could feel the bike hates riding slowly. It held up nicely on the open road and I could cruise at 100 - 105kph comfortable. There is also plenty of power for overtaking as well hence you switch on the power plug button.

I hope that it is just the battery giving issues and not the rectifier regulator, will see later today when we fit a new battery.

At the moment it is really love, hate relationship with the bike. 😅

Photos by @ravingDIODE
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:58:28 am by Andrew_Smith »
2009 BMW G450X w/ Factory Replica Sticker Kit (Sold)
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2021, 02:21:55 pm »
Fuelling/throttle issue may be a dirty injector, also not uncommon on these bikes. Also a relatively easy DIY fix or can have it professionally cleaned.

Battery - I would normally guess that it is not charging properly but you have redone the stator ... so yes maybe just battery is old or regulator. Mottobatt are very good replacements.

Exhaust mid-pipe normally needs an asbestos gasket for a good seal.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 02:26:10 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2021, 04:27:04 pm »
Fuelling/throttle issue may be a dirty injector, also not uncommon on these bikes. Also a relatively easy DIY fix or can have it professionally cleaned.

Battery - I would normally guess that it is not charging properly but you have redone the stator ... so yes maybe just battery is old or regulator. Mottobatt are very good replacements.

Got a new replacement battery today. When we put it in, it measured 12.8V. Not sure what "full" voltage would read. Either way, switched on the electronics, voltage dropped to 12.4V. Then we started the bike and voltage slowly went up to 13.2V. When I rev the engine quite a bit, it goes up to 14-14.2V.  (Didn't rev it harder to check beyond that). Before thebattery change, it wouldn't go over 12.4V while revving the bike. So hope it was just a faulty battery.

As for the exchaust, it is more like a third up. there is the break at the rear leg with wide big clambs and then as the pipe comes past the right calf, as it bends upwards at 30-40 degrees where the baffle is, about 20cm before the baffel it has another section/break in the pipe. The baffle side of the pipe has 2x stubs where a spring can be hooked onto but on the engine side of the pipe, there is no stubs or clips where a spring can be attached to. So it looks as if a slip on exchaust was put over a cut off piece with nothing there to keep it held together... unless something was there and fell off but don't see any marks.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2021, 07:50:28 pm »

As for the exchaust, it is more like a third up. there is the break at the rear leg with wide big clambs and then as the pipe comes past the right calf, as it bends upwards at 30-40 degrees where the baffle is, about 20cm before the baffel it has another section/break in the pipe. The baffle side of the pipe has 2x stubs where a spring can be hooked onto but on the engine side of the pipe, there is no stubs or clips where a spring can be attached to. So it looks as if a slip on exchaust was put over a cut off piece with nothing there to keep it held together... unless something was there and fell off but don't see any marks.

Yes the bottom join in the midpipe is a slip fit but often requires an internal graphite gasket as ID's are different with aftermarket pipes like Akra and Remus unless you are using their larger header. That join uses an exhaust clamp - which this bike has ... or had according to the photos. The OEM clamp is the proper meneer.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2021, 08:06:02 am »
Went to @ravingDIODE over the weekend for assistance with a new spark plug and in-line petrol filter for the bike.

We struggled at first to remove the spark plug of the bike due to the lack of the correct spark plug tool but we got sorted at Spiro's with a tool that could do the job perfectly.

I then noticed that my rear blinker is faulty and what a missing to find the correct bulb for it... We tried Spiro's and Durbanville Auto Spares with both purchases not being correct, but we saw online that we need to get the Osram H6W 12V 6W G64132.

The bike still had the throttle issue with the new spark plug so we got some fuel injection cleaner as well, so will monitor it and hopefully, it can clean out all of the gunk.

The bike was running fine until Sunday afternoon when it decided to die on me, we suspect it is a short somewhere on the bike when you try to start it. Wasn't a pleasant experience, luckily our friend could bring the trailer to take me back home. I will need to get someone to check the whole bike's wiring for me, so the bike will be standing in the garage for a time.

2007 BMW G650X Challenge

The following users thanked this post: ravingDIODE

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2021, 08:41:42 am »
So last weekend, 2 Sunday's ago, when the bike kept on dying and wouldn't start up we tried jumping it with a portable jumper pack. At one stage, as soon as we connected the power bank to the battery, the terminals got extremely hot within seconds. We suspected that there is a short somewhere.

Push start the bike and it get's going again. Got home and replaced the battery with a new one.

When the bike died last night again, I noticed when we try to start the bike it makes a loud clicking clicking sound to the left of the engine. Battery is still fresh and given no issues starting few minutes before when we left my house.

I am now fairly certain that there is a short somewhere but have no clue as to where to start looking.

I was also wondering whether if one plugs the bike into a computer, whether those tools will be able to show if there is a malfunction or short somewhere??

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2021, 10:42:25 am »
Clicking will be the starter relay. A diagnostic is unlikely to show where a short is. You need to go through it methodically. Very often shorts are at the steering head where the loom is often under stress with lots of bending from turning and cables being zip tied too tightly. On the 450 the battery is also there up front so I would start in that area. I would also check the voltage regulator - they normally require greasing underneath as well. Blow out all switches with compressed air and spray with switch cleaner - check as many connectors as you can for clean contact and no corrosion - again use a contact cleaner.

Re the cleaning of the injector - while a fuel additive can help you may need to pull the injector and reverse flush it and clean. YouTube has good vids on this to DIY. Start by checking the spray pattern.

Good luck - dig away, that is how you learn about bikes.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith, ravingDIODE

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2021, 11:05:59 am »
Clicking will be the starter relay. A diagnostic is unlikely to show where a short is. You need to go through it methodically. Very often shorts are at the steering head where the loom is often under stress with lots of bending from turning and cables being zip tied too tightly. On the 450 the battery is also there up front so I would start in that area. I would also check the voltage regulator - they normally require greasing underneath as well. Blow out all switches with compressed air and spray with switch cleaner - check as many connectors as you can for clean contact and no corrosion - again use a contact cleaner.

Re the cleaning of the injector - while a fuel additive can help you may need to pull the injector and reverse flush it and clean. YouTube has good vids on this to DIY. Start by checking the spray pattern.

Thanks Dom! The starter relay, could that result in a short if it fails?

Would a short result in the bike just dying suddenly? Even while keeping the revs up slightly at idle it still just cut out or died.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 11:11:25 am »

Would a short result in the bike just dying suddenly? Even while keeping the revs up slightly at idle it still just cut out or died.

A short could result in bike dying, yes. Relay can stick open or closed more common, but if clicking then it is working. Other possibility would be fuel pump but my money would still be on a dirty injector.

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2021, 12:07:33 pm »
A dirty injector is what caused the same symptoms on mine, dying shortly after starting up. As BiG DoM says, check out the youtube vids to clean the injector manually. Worked for me.

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2021, 12:53:24 pm »

A short could result in bike dying, yes. Relay can stick open or closed more common, but if clicking then it is working. Other possibility would be fuel pump but my money would still be on a dirty injector.
Okay so if I understand you correctly, somewhere there is a short preventing the bike from starting but dirty injector is the result of it dying and sucking or dopping power momentarily while riding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2021, 02:10:48 pm »

Okay so if I understand you correctly, somewhere there is a short preventing the bike from starting but dirty injector is the result of it dying and sucking or dopping power momentarily while riding?

I would say it does sound like you may have two problems but difficult to diagnose definitively from a distance. Does the bike turn on the battery but not fire up or just clicks? If the latter normally a battery/starter problem - batteries can fail erratically (sometimes 100% then not). Starter motor could possibly be binding - may need a service? I would also start by checking the battery terminal connections and that there is no obvious short there to the frame. Always a game of elimination.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: ravingDIODE

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2021, 04:06:33 pm »

I would say it does sound like you may have two problems but difficult to diagnose definitively from a distance. Does the bike turn on the battery but not fire up or just clicks? If the latter normally a battery/starter problem - batteries can fail erratically (sometimes 100% then not). Starter motor could possibly be binding - may need a service? I would also start by checking the battery terminal connections and that there is no obvious short there to the frame. Always a game of elimination.  ;)

Yeah when it died, while making a u turn, it immediately does a click sound. Sometimes multiple clicks after one another if I wiggle the starter button but electronics comes and and when I push and hold the starter, it does one or two clicks and the electronics of the odo resets and goes off.

The battery I bought from Trac Mac last week Monday and we had it on charge for 2-3 days after it was installed just to make sure it is 100. We'll put some time out and work through the wiring and check what we can get our hands and eyes on.

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2021, 04:43:39 pm »
"Yeah when it died, while making a u turn...."

The above tells me changes is good there are a issue with the wires by the steering neck. Check for any damage to the isolation of the wires, any kinks in the wires and that there are enough "play" in the wires to move freely when the steering is turned.

If possible lift the front wheel of the bike from the ground and turn the handlebars and check if you can pick up any issues with the instrument cluster and other electronics. You can do the same when the bike is started and see if it cuts out when the handle bars are turned.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1984 Honda XL600R

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2021, 05:57:45 pm »
"Yeah when it died, while making a u turn...."

The above tells me changes is good there are a issue with the wires by the steering neck. Check for any damage to the isolation of the wires, any kinks in the wires and that there are enough "play" in the wires to move freely when the steering is turned.

If possible lift the front wheel of the bike from the ground and turn the handlebars and check if you can pick up any issues with the instrument cluster and other electronics. You can do the same when the bike is started and see if it cuts out when the handle bars are turned.

Yes - as I noted earlier the wear in a wiring loom very often at the steering head where it gets continually bent backwards and forwards and is often tied too tight.  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2021, 11:32:49 am »
Have a look at this thread on the G450X on fb page. Joris bought my Speedbrain in pieces last year BTW (his bike not the one that gave shit). Anyway note the observation on wiring and checking all the connectors for corrosion etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/269581596549945/user/1617651542/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:34:19 am by BiG DoM »

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2021, 11:46:26 am »
Have a look at this thread on the G450X on fb page. Joris bought my Speedbrain in pieces last year BTW (his bike not the one that gave shit). Anyway note the observation on wiring and checking all the connectors for corrosion etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/269581596549945/user/1617651542/

Saw it this morning and saved it to show to @ravingDIODE, thank you for the link. Should most definitely be a wiring issue from the looks of it.
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2021, 12:29:54 pm »
It seems that the starter relay is the culprit that is preventing the bike to start.

Now to source a new starter relay, any ideas where to source this? Generic also welcome.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 12:34:29 pm by Andrew_Smith »
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2021, 03:18:29 pm »
Hmmm - was a first suspect of mine. Ideal is if you can get someone you can borrow one from - it always helps of you can swop parts over to help diagnose issues. I will PM you the name of someone in CT who should be able to help and has three G450X's and parts.