1200 GSA - The OX Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OX

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
mg8693km4.jpg

mg8703fb8.jpg

mg8823ju6.jpg

crw8447bs2.jpg

crw8455vb6.jpg

crw8469uc1.jpg

crw8487mf8.jpg

crw8748fd0.jpg

dsc03536rp7.jpg

dsc03543ge4.jpg

Hey guys , below is my story on the 1200 adv enjoy !!!
I will sort out more pics later today.

Every so often everyone gets spoilt. You might be a beggar and a generous person buys you a meal from Mc Donald?s. You might be a middle class person and get given a weekend a way for you and you family form you employer. Even rich guys get spoilt with new Learjets now and again.

Well a few months ago I received and invitation to attend a new bike launch from BMW. The invite stated that I would need to be available from Wednesday 6 am till Friday 15h00 AND need a valid passport. I gladly accepted and was instructed to arrive at Grand Central air port at 6 am. On arrival each person was handed a small backpack with a polar fleece jacket, T shirts, beanie and torch. And the eating began in true BMW style, full on breakfast platters with fresh coffee for the icy morning. We were briefed and boarded on very fancy jet plane which had a big fan on each wing and also jets some where and pre packed brunch boxes just in case you didn?t get enough on the ground. Two hours later we landed at Springbok air port and you guessed it, more food, snack platters, juice and coffee to feed the whole of the Northern Cape.
Lined up in perfect precision on the runway were about 15 new R 1200 GS Adventures. After changing into our riding kit we were briefed and the fun began. We heeded out of springbok and rode north through Steinkopf and over the Orange river, into Namibia.
We completed the tar sections for the day and the dirt began, the roads are wide and in very good condition. A few hairy moments were experienced when the hard pack turns to river sand and you are flying along at 130 km/h!!! We arrived at the gate of the park where we were overnighting and yip more food. Platters of dry wors, dried fruit, cold drinks, chips etc. From there we had about 30 kms to do to the camp. But were no longer on easy roads , the track was now twin spoor farm road with a few sandy river crossings which made for entertaining viewing where some of us took a bit longer to cross. The 30 or so kilometres took us the good part of 2 hours and we arrived just be for sunset. The camp was on the fish river in the canyon and it was a 5 star affair. Built up from scratch for one night by the team from Felix Unite. The camp was complete with lamb on the spit, fully stocked bar and warm showers. After eating again we had a few drinks and retired to our separate tents for the night.

This is a glimpse of how BMW do things and it is a true reflection on their service and product. The new R 1200 GS Adventure is no exception, they have improved on the previous model, the 1150 with a long list.
The fuel tank which is the most prominent feature of this bike is now a huge 33 litres, they claim travelling at 95 km/h you can get close to 750 kilometres on one tank. They have also added a new wind shield for better protection. I was able to do 160km/h sitting up with my MX helmet on and my head didn?t look like a heavy metal fan at the Metallica concert. They have also added crash bars around the tank and motor. The seat is height adjustable so riding off road in the standing position was a breeze. The motor has seen a 15% increase in power and the new 6 speed gear box allows the big girl to travel at 160km/h with 2500 rpm in the bank before the red line.

The package weighs in at 223 kgs (dry) which is a bit on the heavy side. The lively 1170 cc flat twin motor is no slouch pushing out 74kW/100 bhp at 7,000 rpm, with torque peaking at 115 Nm at 5,500 rpm. The optional ABS breaks take the scare of grabbing a handful on the clamps away.
In the standing position at slow speeds the bike handles well , you can use the power on the back wheel to aid in tricky position and the immense power is great as the it can lug at low revs. We completed a river bed section of about 5 kilometres which comprised of very thick sand, rocks and sharp turns. Having spent a whole day getting used to the big girl, the technical bits were easily completed. However I think with a pillion and loaded panniers the challenge would be on, but then flying at 160 + is no problem.
The new model has the following advantages over the 1150;
Substantial reduction in weight.
? Significant increase in output (plus 15 per cent) and torque
(plus 17 per cent).
? New six-speed manual gearbox.
? New Evo-Para-lever with TDD spring struts.
? New Tele-lever.
? New instruments in digital technology with Info-Flat screen.
? On-board single-wire network using CAN bus technology.
? Electronic immobiliser.
Most of these bikes will spend 90% of their life?s on the tar or good gravel roads, the weight ads to the stability and the machine is extremely comfortable. JHB to CPT would be no problem with the advantage of being able to deviate via Poffadder!!
Retail Price: R117 500 (incl VAT)
ABS & Heated Grips: R8 400 (incl VAT)