Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: G450X noisy while cold  (Read 72 times)

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
G450X noisy while cold
« on: June 26, 2021, 05:43:12 pm »
I thought I had a valve clearance issue, but checked today and the valve clearances are pretty much spot on. The bike has a rather noisy clackity sound after starting, that disappears as it warms up.

Searching the webs yields possible clutch of big end bearing issues, but would these noises disappear as the engine warms up? Here's a vid of the startup, one can hear the clackity noise fading away and by the time I blip it the noise is pretty much gone.

Any ideas? Oil level is perfect, maybe this is the camchain tensioner that takes long t build pressure?

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Re: G450X noisy while cold
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 06:07:56 pm »
Pretty normal I think - timing chain clatter until the oil circulates and warms up.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: OomD

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
Re: G450X noisy while cold
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 06:23:39 pm »
Pretty normal I think - timing chain clatter until the oil circulates and warms up.
Well last weekend I took out the camchain tensioner and replaced the two o-rings in there. The tensioner goes into the new o-ring nice and snugly, it was quite loose. This tells me that higher pressure oil would've been needed to get to the right tension. I did notice the tensioner has a bit of a notch feeling at the beginning of travel when manually compressing it, not sure of this is normal?

Anyway the noise goes away much sooner now. Coupled with clean, new oil, filters and o-rings around the oil screens she's sounding much better. But then, eny engine sounds better after a service. :imaposer: