Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Old School vs newer Tech......which One??  (Read 868 times)

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
Re: Old School vs newer Tech......which One??
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2021, 12:27:27 pm »
800GS of 990 of 660XT
En voeg hom by, dan het jy n ou bike om heeltyd aan te werk en n ander om die oor te draai.

NS
Kan ons asb ophou praat van n KLR as new tech? Netnou sien iemand buite SA die draad en dink nog minder van ons?
:laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer: :lol8: ;D
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2021, 12:57:17 pm »
My comment is nou nie noodwendig relevant tot die twee modelle wat hier bespreek word nie, maar relevant tot die topic van old tech vs new tech.

Ek ry op die oomblik met n 2003 Djebel met 53000km op die klok en geniet die bike verskriklik omdat dit so lig en maklik is om te gebruik. Kom ons noem dit old tech.
In die ander hoek eye ek n nuwe CRF300L iewers in die toekoms. Ook lekker lig maar meer modern met fuel injection ens. Kom ons noem dit new tech.

Nou wat my keuse moeilik maak is dit feit dat albei min of meer dieselfde krag maak. Volgens https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/, maak die Djebel 21,6kW @ 8500rpm en 24,5Nm @ 7000rpm terwyl die CRF300L 20,25kW @ 8500rpm maak  en 26,6Nm @ 6500rpm - nie n groot verskil nie. Die Suzuki is 118kg droog en die Honda omtrent 130kg (ek kry net wet weight vir die Honda so dis calculated).  Die Djebel het Showa suspensie voor en n 17liter tenk So much for progress...

Nou, sal die Honda'tjie so goed loop soos die Djebel na 18 jaar en 53000km sonder om enige olie te lek of te gebruik?

Ek diss nie die Honda nie, dis bloot n vraag?
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2021, 01:07:51 pm »
Nou, sal die Honda'tjie so goed loop soos die Djebel na 18 jaar en 53000km sonder om enige olie te lek of te gebruik?

Ek dink die Honda sal goeie diens gee nes jou Djebel het. :deal: :thumleft:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2021, 01:35:22 pm »
My comment is nou nie noodwendig relevant tot die twee modelle wat hier bespreek word nie, maar relevant tot die topic van old tech vs new tech.

Ek ry op die oomblik met n 2003 Djebel met 53000km op die klok en geniet die bike verskriklik omdat dit so lig en maklik is om te gebruik. Kom ons noem dit old tech.
In die ander hoek eye ek n nuwe CRF300L iewers in die toekoms. Ook lekker lig maar meer modern met fuel injection ens. Kom ons noem dit new tech.

Nou wat my keuse moeilik maak is dit feit dat albei min of meer dieselfde krag maak. Volgens https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/, maak die Djebel 21,6kW @ 8500rpm en 24,5Nm @ 7000rpm terwyl die CRF300L 20,25kW @ 8500rpm maak  en 26,6Nm @ 6500rpm - nie n groot verskil nie. Die Suzuki is 118kg droog en die Honda omtrent 130kg (ek kry net wet weight vir die Honda so dis calculated).  Die Djebel het Showa suspensie voor en n 17liter tenk So much for progress...

Ek diss nie die Honda nie, dis bloot n vraag?

As Chris says, I recon the Honda will give you the same  great service. I also strongly suspect that this has a hell of a lot to do with how you care for your bike. I doubt there are too many Djebels out there that compare to yours.
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

Offline Clockwork Orange

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 01:40:32 pm »
Petri, Is there is a chance that you can keep the XT and get another bike. I have seen pics of your XT and it looks pristine. If it were me I would do all I could to keep the XT in the condition it is and only use it for the odd fun ride. Don't get me wrong....the bike is capable of doing proper adventure trips but there are so few of these great bikes in this condition that its worthwhile preserving.....As to the second bike....well that's entirely down to the type of riding you want to do and what puts the biggest grin on your dial. :ricky:
When in doubt...grab throttle!!!

The following users thanked this post: petri oosthuizen

Offline the ruffian

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 02:47:50 pm »
Obviously if you can afford newer tech and if you donít do your own maintenance you should buy that.

But if you canít ( like me) then old tech is fine, since in real terms ( assuming average riding skills-level) the difference in what you are going to pay far, far exceeds the joy you are going to get in your riding.

For context I own two old school thumpers, a DR 650 with close to 40,000 on the clock, and a first generation KLR 650 with 98,000 on the clock. Justinís experience of KLRís isnít close to mine, except for his opinion on the brakes. Both are relatively light (165 and 172 kg respectively - dry that is). Neither uses oil, nor have they ever given me trouble on trips - and in that respect I prefer self -supported camping trips, 80% on gravel.

I would love a Honda 300, and donít doubt that it would be reliable to similar mileage as I have on my old thumpers. But to get one I would have to sell both my bikes and still fork out another 30k plus another 10k for a bigger tank ( both my old thumpers have big tanks), plus another 4-5k for an upgraded rear shock.

Even better, an adventurised KTM 500/525/450, but that would be even more expensive...

So, for now, as a pensioner old ballie, who can change his own oil, iíll Stick to old tech, thanks.

The following users thanked this post: Sabre, petri oosthuizen

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2021, 02:56:47 pm »
Petri, Is there is a chance that you can keep the XT and get another bike. I have seen pics of your XT and it looks pristine. If it were me I would do all I could to keep the XT in the condition it is and only use it for the odd fun ride. Don't get me wrong....the bike is capable of doing proper adventure trips but there are so few of these great bikes in this condition that its worthwhile preserving.....As to the second bike....well that's entirely down to the type of riding you want to do and what puts the biggest grin on your dial. :ricky:

My Bettie makes me feel good :3some:
XT 600 Tenere

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2021, 05:29:17 pm »

My Bettie makes me feel good :3some:
Then a XT660R will feel just as good. Fi the only ďmodernĒ gadget needed on a bike.

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

The following users thanked this post: petri oosthuizen

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2021, 05:32:59 pm »
 XT660R

Both the 660R en Z will be tippy toe tall for Petri, if he gets a second bike it needs to be a comfortable height. :deal:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2021, 05:35:29 pm »
XT660R

Both the 660R en Z will be tippy toe tall for Petri, if he gets a second bike it needs to be a comfortable height. :deal:
The R is a quite a bit lower than the Z ?
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2021, 05:42:35 pm »
XT660R

The R is a quite a bit lower than the Z ?
I don't know buy how much but the Z is tall for me. Have ridden a R long time ago and is was tallish but not as tall as the Z yes.
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline mark250gp

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2021, 05:44:29 pm »

This, if you can.

It does get expensive though, licensing, insurance, they do actually cost money even if they dont move unfortunately.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2021, 05:57:57 pm »
XT660R 865mm
XT600 Tenere 34 L 890mm
XT660Z 895mm
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2021, 05:59:49 pm »
XT660R 865mm
XT600 Tenere 34 L 890mm
XT660Z 895mm
660R for the winner then!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
info@dustriders.co.za
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2021, 06:20:20 pm »
Maak soos oom Dan.
Hou die Xt en kry n 701 by.
Verstaan nie die saal hoogte issue nie.
As die wielle rol maak dit nie saak nie.
Ek balanseer my 701 met een bootpunt op terra firma.
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Psycho Porra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2021, 06:25:57 pm »
XT660R

I had a 660R and am same height as Petri, will suit him well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KTM990, DRZ400E

"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline Psycho Porra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2021, 06:26:32 pm »
XT660R

KTM990, DRZ400E

"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2021, 06:39:52 pm »

Check out the dismount from the guy (Klein Jan apparently) on the GayLR at Atlantis around 8:55  :laughing4:

Really enjoy their channel :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 06:48:26 pm by Noneking »
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2021, 06:40:58 pm »
XT660R

R is my next bike when I cant get a leg over the Z anymore  :lol8:
J.R.R Tolkien