Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NEW vs USED & LOADED WITH EXTRAS  (Read 781 times)

Offline NEON DEON

NEW vs USED & LOADED WITH EXTRAS
« on: June 30, 2021, 09:16:31 am »
I am well  aware that buying bikes is a personal experience and that taking the new bike home is very special . But with new bike prices where they are is buying new still the best option? or not . I was watching the BIKE SHOW and a new Triumph 650 was priced at R 175K most new superbikes are close the the 300k mark with small bikes touching 100k .
My last new to me bike was my 2014, 1190 KTM ,Paid 150k for it in 2017 bike had 12000kilos on the clock , but was fitted with 50k worth of KTM extras . to me a no brainer bargain , and it was taken home . Now I would not buy a 650 for close on 180 k , there are many bigger capacity bikes with extras to be had for less .
What is your opinion on this ?
For reference my first bike was a new 1981 DR400 ,  then a used XLR 500 with 23ks on the clock , followed by a new XT600 , then a SRAD 750  & K4 K6 1000 Suzukis . but in my defence the bikes were all under a 100k , now I would think hard to buy a new bike at 300k .
Maybe its just me  :ricky:

Offline punisher

• Lolly Licker… i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • somph
Re: NEW vs USED & LOADED WITH EXTRAS
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:18:33 am »
i have only ever bought 2 brand new bikes , ( and 2 brand new cars ) , i simply will not fork out the kind of money they ask for brand new , there is no point at all
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 10:29:49 am »
In 2011 I bought a 2nd hand R1200GSA with 5000km on the clock for R45k less than a new one, with panniers, GPS, lowered seat, Pannier liner bags (brand new, still in the plastic from BMW) - the extra's were R30k odd - I even stalled on the deal, I went to look, decided I really couldnt afford to spend R160k on a bike, a week later it was still there, went in and rode it home the next day....
At the time I was just about to sign an OTP for a 2011 GSA, new, with no extra's for R205K......
It was a no brainer....

The ONLY regret, was that I should have bought the HP2 standing next to it for R105k - now THAT is something I will always regret....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 01:19:50 pm »
Think this is bad, try looking for a car now.

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 02:04:24 pm »
If everyone buys second hand then who bites the bullet for new bikes?

Take one for the team! Just check with us before you spec it....
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 02:59:40 pm »
 :imaposer:
Truth is treason in the empire of lies

Tom Luongo

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 03:05:56 pm »
I sometimes look at Hiluxes and Cruisers for sale just for the hell of it. 

Dodgy dealers (not always Toyota) buy brand new, put some black mags and maybe a bullbar and sticker kit on a Hilux and advertise it for R1m (or as near as dammit is to swearing).  Somebody must be buying them because there are pages and pages of these bakkies advertised on AutoTrader.  But who can afford to pay that for a bakkie!?

To answer your question Deon, always 2nd hand.  First owner has already taken the depreciation knock, added some nice farkles and is now looking to "upgrade" to the new model with 4 rider modes rather than 3.

Bought my AT with 3300km on for R140k because the previous owner bought a 1250GSA.  My AT had h/l protector, crashbars, luggage plate, bar raisers, bashplate, centre stand, touring screen plus standard screen.

Bought my Hilux with 33000km on it after the previous owner traded it in on the new grill model.  For me 30000km is a brand new bakkie.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 12:40:47 pm by Dorsland »
Truth is treason in the empire of lies

Tom Luongo

The following users thanked this post: Master Beerkie, JIMMI

Offline JIMMI

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 05:38:51 pm »
I look at Hiluxes and Crusiers for the hell of it. 

Dodgy dealers (not always Toyota) buy brand new, put some black mags and maybe a bullbar and sticker kit on a Hilux and advertise it for R1m (or as near as dammit is to swearing).  Somebody must be buying them because there are pages and pages of these bakkies advertised on AutoTrader.  But who can afford that for a bakkie!?

To answer your question Deon, always 2nd hand.  Ist owner has already taken the depreciation knock, added some nice farkles and is now looking to "upgrade" to the new model with 4 rider modes rather than 3.

Bought my AT with 3300km on for R140k because the previous owner bought a 1250GSA.  My AT had h/l protector, crashbars, luggage plate, bar raisers, bashplate, centre stand, touring screen plus standard screen.

Bought my Hilux with 33000km on it after the prvious owner trded it in on the new grill model.  For me that is a brand new bakkie.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

Very wise words that many of us (including me) are aware of but seldon remember... Ha Ha..
May the best of today be the worst of tomorrow.
In the garage.
BMW R1150GS, BMW R80

The following users thanked this post: Dorsland

Offline punisher

• Lolly Licker… i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • somph
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 05:43:26 pm »
plenty of fools with money ..........sadly 

they keep the prices high
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline JIMMI

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 05:47:46 pm »
Regardless of how hard i am on myself, i'm a big advocate of buying used.  Low mileage, much depreciated vehicles with all the accessories are clearly the way to go.
May the best of today be the worst of tomorrow.
In the garage.
BMW R1150GS, BMW R80

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 06:57:28 pm »
Look, if money was no object then buying a new vehicle is no problem.

If you have the money, but not too much of it, then buying new is still good, IF YOU DRIVE THAT VEHICLE FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

It's the guy who buys new, and after a year or two his arse itches and he "trades up". Usually with some accessories, so double lose.

I have never bought any type of vehicle new in my entire life. [ OK, I bought a bicycle new in 1994] And I have only ever bought a vehicle on HP once in my life.

I have to add though, that I drive old cars, and while they serve me very well, a new bike/car is really nice.

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 07:29:50 pm »

The answer is a very simple one... you do it because you can.  :biggrin:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 07:33:20 pm »

Old braggart. :thumleft:

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 07:48:30 pm »

Old braggart. :thumleft:

:imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 06:10:15 am »
A brand new bike is simply not an option for me, as I just can't afford it. Buying second hand, you can sometimes get a very well kitted bike at an affordable prince.
Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2021, 07:27:43 am »
I've only bought one new car and two new bikes in my life. I got tired of buying other people's problems.

To put it into perspective, the only two bikes I bought new were my KTM 690 and 790, widely regarded by many (non-owners) as two of the most unreliable motorcycles ever made. I bought them new and looked after them and they turned out to be the two most reliable bikes I've owned to date.

I did buy 20 odd second hand bikes as well but most of them came with varying amounts of neglect
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 07:39:25 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 07:50:37 am »
I've only bought one new car and two new bikes in my life. I got tired of buying other people's problems.

To put it into perspective, the only two bikes I bought new were my KTM 690 and 790, widely regarded by many (non-owners) as two of the most unreliable motorcycles ever made. I bought them new and looked after them and they turned out to be the two most reliable bikes I've owned to date.

I did buy 20 odd second hand bikes as well but most of them came with varying amounts of neglect

The amount of good knowledge that one needs to possess in order to buy successfully, and consistently, on the 2nd hand market, makes it unattractive for many.

Them I'll tell you of an example where even having the knowledge on vehicles will help you nothing;

I have a friend that looks after his bikes so well that they often, after several years, look as good as new. Some years ago, his bike overheated in the Tankwa, faulty thermostat.

If you or me were to buy that bike 2nd hand, in pristine condition with low kilos, how are we to know that there is very probably long-term problems waiting due to overheating?

Or the guy that neutral-revved his new-ish K9 GSX-R1000 in 2011 at the Buffalo rally.......how do you tell?

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 07:58:12 am »
I’ve only bought 3 new cars in my life. 2 of them were very rare and sought after at the time and both were sold less than a year later for more than I paid for them.

Since then I’ve always bought low mileage cars at a fraction of the new price.

With bikes I’ve not been so disciplined though. Bought several new over the last 8 years. Lost some money on some of them, did ok selling others. Made loads of profit buying and selling sought after bikes and that has mostly covered the cost of the bikes I currently own.
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 08:04:17 am »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 08:04:43 am by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 08:09:26 am »

The amount of good knowledge that one needs to possess in order to buy successfully, and consistently, on the 2nd hand market, makes it unattractive for many.

Them I'll tell you of an example where even having the knowledge on vehicles will help you nothing;

I have a friend that looks after his bikes so well that they often, after several years, look as good as new. Some years ago, his bike overheated in the Tankwa, faulty thermostat.

If you or me were to buy that bike 2nd hand, in pristine condition with low kilos, how are we to know that there is very probably long-term problems waiting due to overheating?

Or the guy that neutral-revved his new-ish K9 GSX-R1000 in 2011 at the Buffalo rally.......how do you tell?
Exactly

My previous 990 was bought from a so called reputable dealer/re-seller. On the surface, The bike was in pristine condition for a 13 year old bike. When the bike arrived I started picking up issues and I was chastised for posting my complaints about this seller who had lots of supporters on the forum. I owned the bike for about 6 months, put very little mileage on it. Sold it to a forum member with full disclosure. New owner has uncovered some major issues on the bike, confirming that in this case, beauty was only skin deep. He has spent nearly half of purchase price getting the bike sorted.
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw