Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NEW vs USED & LOADED WITH EXTRAS  (Read 759 times)

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: NEW vs USED & LOADED WITH EXTRAS
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 10:21:01 am »
Second hand, I also cant afford or justify spending over R300K for a New GSA LC.

I know of a dog who years ago bought a GSA from BMW, used,
After a few years of using it well he swapped it for a 1290SAR, had that for a few months then sold that and still sold it for R10k more than the original GSA that he paid for

:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 10:28:37 am »
Second hand, I also cant afford or justify spending over R300K for a New GSA LC.

In 2006  people said that bikes are getting expensive and you should be crazy to pay R125 000 for the
(then) brand new BMW 1200 GS Adventure.  :lol8:

Online Mikie

• Kyalami - Jozi
  • Grey hound
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 10:46:33 am »

In 2006  people said that bikes are getting expensive and you should be crazy to pay R125 000 for the
(then) brand new BMW 1200 GS Adventure.  :lol8:

In 2036, they might be laughing at R300K for a bike  :deal:
:paw:

Pronounciation:
M-aai-kie
My-Key

Offline Altie7deLaan

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Vroom vroom vroom blah blah blah
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 10:55:58 am »
You sleep well, if you buy a brand new bike or car, knowing you starting with a fresh canvas, with factory backing.
If you bought a 2nd hand one, loaded with farkles, at a fair price.....Only time will tell if you bought (and saved) well.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 10:56:38 am by Altie7deLaan »
xl185  cb750f  gsx600f  fz750  gsxr750  cbr600f2  cbr900rr cbr929rr  cbr954rr  vtr1000f  fzr1000exup  650dakkie gsxr1000k4  lc4 supermoto  bandit1200s   project fartblood (fireblade streetfighter)  f800gs 690 kaboem

"Choose a bike that will be the most fun in the challenging spots, not one that will be the most comfortable in the easy spots." Walter Colebatch

Offline Petrilkop

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2021, 12:45:22 pm »
I've only bought one new car and two new bikes in my life. I got tired of buying other people's problems.

To put it into perspective, the only two bikes I bought new were my KTM 690 and 790, widely regarded by many (non-owners) as two of the most unreliable motorcycles ever made. I bought them new and looked after them and they turned out to be the two most reliable bikes I've owned to date.

I did buy 20 odd second hand bikes as well but most of them came with varying amounts of neglect
If I recall correctly, that 790 did not look very very well, after you were finished with it :eek7:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2021, 12:50:56 pm »
I've only bought one new car and two new bikes in my life. I got tired of buying other people's problems.

To put it into perspective, the only two bikes I bought new were my KTM 690 and 790, widely regarded by many (non-owners) as two of the most unreliable motorcycles ever made. I bought them new and looked after them and they turned out to be the two most reliable bikes I've owned to date.

I did buy 20 odd second hand bikes as well but most of them came with varying amounts of neglect
If I recall correctly, that 790 did not look very very well, after you were finished with it :eek7:

I just tried to improve on the mantis front end look everyone likes to complain about
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2021, 04:10:53 pm »

The amount of good knowledge that one needs to possess in order to buy successfully, and consistently, on the 2nd hand market, makes it unattractive for many.

Them I'll tell you of an example where even having the knowledge on vehicles will help you nothing;

I have a friend that looks after his bikes so well that they often, after several years, look as good as new. Some years ago, his bike overheated in the Tankwa, faulty thermostat.

If you or me were to buy that bike 2nd hand, in pristine condition with low kilos, how are we to know that there is very probably long-term problems waiting due to overheating?

Or the guy that neutral-revved his new-ish K9 GSX-R1000 in 2011 at the Buffalo rally.......how do you tell?
Exactly

My previous 990 was bought from a so called reputable dealer/re-seller. On the surface, The bike was in pristine condition for a 13 year old bike. When the bike arrived I started picking up issues and I was chastised for posting my complaints about this seller who had lots of supporters on the forum. I owned the bike for about 6 months, put very little mileage on it. Sold it to a forum member with full disclosure. New owner has uncovered some major issues on the bike, confirming that in this case, beauty was only skin deep. He has spent nearly half of purchase price getting the bike sorted.

My pa het altyd gesÍ, bo bont en onder vol stront.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Edgar

• Local Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »

The amount of good knowledge that one needs to possess in order to buy successfully, and consistently, on the 2nd hand market, makes it unattractive for many.

Them I'll tell you of an example where even having the knowledge on vehicles will help you nothing;

I have a friend that looks after his bikes so well that they often, after several years, look as good as new. Some years ago, his bike overheated in the Tankwa, faulty thermostat.

If you or me were to buy that bike 2nd hand, in pristine condition with low kilos, how are we to know that there is very probably long-term problems waiting due to overheating?

Or the guy that neutral-revved his new-ish K9 GSX-R1000 in 2011 at the Buffalo rally.......how do you tell?
Exactly

My previous 990 was bought from a so called reputable dealer/re-seller. On the surface, The bike was in pristine condition for a 13 year old bike. When the bike arrived I started picking up issues and I was chastised for posting my complaints about this seller who had lots of supporters on the forum. I owned the bike for about 6 months, put very little mileage on it. Sold it to a forum member with full disclosure. New owner has uncovered some major issues on the bike, confirming that in this case, beauty was only skin deep. He has spent nearly half of purchase price getting the bike sorted.

My pa het altyd gesÍ, bo bont en onder vol stront.

Jou pa was n wyse man.

Meine Ehre heiŖt Treue

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 06:29:02 pm »
I have cracked a secret code to safe 2nd hand buying.

Buy Yamaha.

Online Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 06:33:36 pm »

Buy Yamaha.
Verseker
Jy kan maar weet vorige eienaar wou hom ook nie ry nie
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Online punisher

• Lolly LickerÖ i love to lick lollies
  • Grey hound
  • somph
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2021, 06:54:45 pm »

Buy Yamaha.
Verseker

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: skerp
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline BliknÍrs

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • I never finish anythÖÖ
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2021, 07:10:59 pm »
My pa het eenmaal gesÍ in die dag ry hy sy nuwe kar, in die nag ry die kar hom.
Ek het in 84 laas n muwe bike gekoop. XR500RE @ R5200.
Sedertdien is dit maar altyd 2de hands, en ek het OK gedoen, meestal met Suzukis.
OK soos in nie te veel moeilikheid nie, maar altyd vir minder verkoop.
YB100,KH100,XL250,XR500RE,TS400,IT495,KZ1000R,GPz1100,XL600,TT600,XT550,VZ800,CX500,TL1000R,YZF-R1,GSXR750,GSXR1000,DL1000,DR650,CTX200,1150GSA,1200GSA (RIP)
Current G450x & 1966 CT90 & XR650L

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2021, 07:48:56 pm »

Buy Yamaha.
Verseker

:thumleft: :biggrin: