Where ...? To Hoedspruit...? Why there ...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
This was Allen's response when I first mentioned it. Why indeed.

I woke up one morning some months back with this thought going around in my head, closely followed by more important items that was conveniently pushed to the side but kept re-emerging. But yes, Hoedspruit.

In 1982 I found myself (and 1400 others) in Valhalla Pretoria at the SAAF intake base for national service. It was all an adventure to me so no real idea but what was soon made clear was I had 2 choices; 4 years short term and I might fly a transporter or 10 years PF and if really good, I might fly something somewhat faster and more exciting. That time frame did not suit my conquer the world plans. Yet somehow 45 of us got chosen for a unit called 250 ADU. ?? ... or Anti-Aircraft Defense Unit Hoedspruit in real language. Even sooner it was made known that is was a real "paraat" unit, no skebengers; "julle gaan afkak daar."
So, I joined the SAAF Valhalla Soccer team, got Northern TVL colours and 250 retreated into the dark depths of my mind ... but for 40 years I have wondered what might have been. I should at least go have a look even thought 250 ADU no longer exists.

So we start planning, it's clear the ride will not be to Namibia this year, everything is so mixed up so let's stay in SA, what can go wrong...? Right?

3 days before I depart GBR, Allen informs me he will not be able to make the trip this year due to a family emergency. Blixsem! Another solo trip looms.

So I head for the Klein Karoo ...