Namibia Tour Dune Riding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha TW200
I have enjoyed this RR enormously and a trip like this remains on my bucket list but,unfortunately,I have to comment on some of the practices shown on this report.
The "dune"you guys were riding up with great enjoyment is not a sand dune,it is sand that has been blown from the valley over centuries by the prevailing winds and has accumulated against the surrounding mountains and koppies.As such,it is an extremely sensitive and delicate eco system that will take years to eradicate the tracks made.These tracks will cause serious erosion in heavy,abnormal rain.A dune field is not a static system and the crests are constantly moving and will quickly cover all tracks made.You were riding on a static sand plain bordered by mountains.
I went through that valley a couple of years ago with a convoy of 12 vehicles,all under strict instruction from the concession guide to not stray from the existing track.
Imagine if the 4x4 guys decided to tackle that sand field every time they came through that beautiful valley.
There is talk that the Namibian authorities are considering a ban on motorbikes in their sensitive conservancy areas,I am not surprised.