Infernal Interlude: Crazy Glue Family Ride (December 2020)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ri

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Ahhhh... these crazy COVID days... the new normal has arrived.

In between the school holidays and trying to recoup my mental health, I sneak in a Thumper Bash ride in November of 2020. I join the ultraflight band and manage to fall on almost the first turn, which is that nasty steep and loose little hairpin that turns from the ex-plantation road onto Du Toitskloof Pass road.  We are only on that plantation road because I insisted :imaposer:

Thankfully it is my last fall for the ride, and I meet and ride with a bunch of lovely people. I share digs with Odd Dog and Tony the Boney, and couldn't wish for 2 more gentlemanly housemates. The Bash is lovely, as always, and the food is divine; I cherish the small penknife I "win", and the red print on the back of the Bash T-shirt now stains all my riding jackets.

Then December rolls around and any plans for a relaxed, restful, easy holiday disintegrates when my brother sends word that the family rented the Gifberg holiday farm for a week and we are summoned: all their in-laws in one idyllic space. I have just enough leave to comply. The adventure bug bites my sister and she decides she wants the family to ride there from Fraserburg in a motorbike cavalcade, something crazy the family will look back on and laugh about....eventually.

My 2 x DR650s are commandeered, along with my bro-in-law's 2 x DR200s. We'll take turns to ride the bikes (except me) and drive the car with the non-bikers which includes Ouma, packed to the hilt, with the trailer as back-up. The DR200s aren't road legal and one of the teens aren't legit but we'll get around that one way or another.

My sister wants this and my bro-in-law is determined to make it happen for her. True love :love6: or true madness... :eek:

Nephew drives home on Friday in my car, towing my trailer with one DR650 on, carpooling my niece and other "koshuisbrakke", to allow time for the Great (Over)Packing. I will ride up on Saturday on my other DR650. On Sunday morning at sparrow's cough we'll hit the dirt on our great family massacre adventure via a route my bro-in-law has been scoping and researching for minutes weeks.

Ri-sistance is futile. I stoically submit, load my bike, and hit the road.