Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: No Spills: Jubilee Tour (2 - 10 May 2021)  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Ri Bikermouse
No Spills: Jubilee Tour (2 - 10 May 2021)
« on: July 17, 2021, 11:42:46 pm »
Suddenly everything is different.

My friend hires a personal trainer for our group of ladies and arranges for sessions to take place in my garden. Most of the ladies promptly fade, but my next door neighbour's daughter and I are dedicated, and the personal trainer commits to continuing with the sessions for the two of us - without increasing his rate, a man of his word. He brings his equipment and his knowledge, his enthusiasm and his very loud voice to my garden or patio, depending on the weather, and jollies and bullies us to greater efforts. When we start to look complacent, he changes to slightly heavier weights or adds 30 seconds to the reps. He is surprisingly adept at the mundane torture of cardio, coming up with combo's like burpee star jumps, squat jumping jacks, apple picker suicide runs and the most dreaded, mountain climbers. Slowly but surely, unnoticed, he increases our strength and fitness.

We are somewhere between a soft lockdown and a hard lockdown when I turn 50. This is my jubilee year.

The big surprise is my hair. I used to wear it super short for reasons of practicality and helmet hair, and because the salt and pepper makes me feel I look old. My dad was snow capped by his 30th birthday; my mom showed her first grey hair only at age 60+. I'm in between, fine iron hair appearing from about 18... but in patches, like my mom. During COVID and working from home I let it grow, gathering it in a fist on top of my head and cutting whatever sticks out. It turns out I'm mostly snow capped too, toned down by dark strands, with a pure white Charley Weir streak in my fringe. In sunlight, unless I'm standing next to a real blonde, I could be mistaken for a real blonde :imaposer:

I visit my family the weekend before my birthday, and they book my mother out of jail the retirement home for the weekend. They bake me a chocolate cheesecake with silver dust on it, and stick silver "50" candles on it . They allow me on a DR200 and point me down an unknown gravel road towards the next farm where we're joining more family for tea. When we come back, Bro-in-law points me to another rough little 2-spoor track through the veld. It is an absolute blast and I arrive home with glowing cheeks and glowing heart.

Cape Town offers wonderful opportunities on birthdays and I take a day's leave for my two favourites: a free ride up and down Table Mountain with a long hike on top, and free entry into the Two Oceans Aquarium. It is the perfect day, beautiful and blue and warm, and by great fortune a week or so before the mountain shockingly burns down.

I'm invited to hike and wild camp at Wolfberg Arch at the end of April, and with no additional fitness preparation I manage to slowly but consistently hike/climb the 10 km up the mountain, and the 10+ km down again next day (took a wrong turn :imaposer:). It is incredibly beautiful. I'm not at the level of the trail runners running up and down in 2-3 hours for fun, but I'm chuffed with my stamina nonetheless. Photo's: https://www.facebook.com/Ri.Snyman/albums/10227695182744146/?refid=56

I am the first person to pay for the EC Bash, and take 2 days leave leading up to it to have a nice ride up. In the meantime, Ultraflight organises a group ride to Apollo de Karoo, a place I'm very keen to visit, and I sign up for that. Closer to the time, the weekend ride is moved out and I have to cancel due to work commitments.

Scottish Leader of the Postal Route contacts me; he'll be in the country for a short period around that time and would like to go for a weekend ride; would I care to join? Can I suggest some nice routes to ride?  I start looking at distances and my imagination fires up. Texts fly and soon Scottish Leader suggests that we make a proper long tour of it, from that weekend to the EC Bash the next weekend. I change my leave request for the umpteenth time and my patient boss duly authorises it. I get down to brass tacks and start setting down our route, rummaging through my bucket list for options. Suddenly Scottish Leader goes silent and I realise he won't be joining me. Relief lightly feathers through me.

I wouldn't have minded the company, but a week is a long time and I relish the idea of some alone time, of spreading my wings and falling further afield. I look at my route again with slight trepidation; there is some scope for falling. The thought pops into my head: why should I fall? I'm improving slowly but surely and becoming more skilled; if I don't expect to fall, maybe I won't. I optimistically name this my "No Spills" tour.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 12:22:48 am by Ri »

Offline skydiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • Free as a bird
Re: No Spills: Jubilee Tour (2 - 10 May 2021)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 01:27:26 pm »
Subscribed  :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 08:22:49 pm »
My friend hires a personal trainer for our group of ladies and arranges for sessions to take place in my garden. Most of the ladies promptly fade

Shame man......hy was seker 'n REAL looker gewees......??? >:D

Wat het gebeur dat you tjomme so fade?? Ons manne soek detail........ >:D
XT 600 Tenere

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 09:29:56 pm »
My friend hires a personal trainer for our group of ladies and arranges for sessions to take place in my garden. Most of the ladies promptly fade

Hy lyk soos 'n effens korter weergawe van Jason Mamoa, lang hare en al 8)

Hy doen nou op ander tye sessies met die ander dames. Ek vra nie uit nie...

The following users thanked this post: petri oosthuizen

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 09:39:01 pm »
Hoekom noem hulle dit n personal trainer?
Hoekom nie net n trainer nie?

As ek iemand my personal plumber, of personal mechanic noem, sal mense vir lag.

Ek subscribe solank hier.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 09:42:27 pm »

Klink na oulike seun............. >:D ;D
XT 600 Tenere

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 12:18:40 am »
Hoekom noem hulle dit n personal trainer?
Hoekom nie net n trainer nie?

As ek iemand my personal plumber, of personal mechanic noem, sal mense vir lag.

Ek subscribe solank hier.

As jy jou plumper of mechanic so gereeld sien soos wat ons die trainer sien, dan raak dit mos persoonlik, alhoewel jy dalk bekommerd moet raak as jou plumber vir jou sÍ jy lyk "tight", of jou mechanic nodig het om jou huis 2+ keer 'n week te besoek :o

Mooi kind.
En hy kan ook dooswyn bring as ons soek >:D :imaposer:

Offline ClemS

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Triumph 955 RSI
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 05:14:50 am »
Sub
 :sip:
The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 04:02:15 pm »
Ri is the 250 going to feature here ? Been looking forward to the RR
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 07:54:07 pm »

Ga! Het jy gesien wat hy met Kaleesi gedoen het?? Die vark. :biggrin:

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 08:53:20 pm »
Ri is the 250 going to feature here ? Been looking forward to the RR

Nope, sorry. I did want to take the 250 but he wasn't ready for the long road yet. Still isn't really - I need to do something about that seat :o

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 09:12:16 pm »
I packed most of my stuff on the bike during the week, but I'm not in a hurry to get away on Sunday. I snooze late and take my time strapping up the final items, and then leisurely roll in to die Boord Pick 'n Pay for some last minute shopping. I buy a few packs of premium dry wors and a few other snacks. It is surprisingly hot today, considering that it's winter and a few cold fronts and rain clouds are on the way. I check the weather again and I'm facing 27+ degrees heat in the Karoo for the next few days. How do you pack for +27 degrees to 12 degrees weather during a 10-day span?

I'm not traveling far today. My first overnight stop is Bike X Cape, and I take my time to get there, riding through Ceres, up Gydo Pass and then along my beloved Katbakkies Pass.

Gent recently had his oil rings and related parts replaced and serviced, and it changed his whole character. No longer the purring smooth ride of before, he is now full of vim and vigour.

The following users thanked this post: stcomza

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 09:43:35 pm »
I zip past Tankwa Padstal without stopping in, and arrive at Bike X Cape expecting to have the whole camp to myself, but there's a couple sitting in the shade of a tree sipping wine when I roll in.

Turns out there was a huge party at Tankwa Tented Camp and the couple didn't feel in condition to drive all the way home to Cape Town afterwards, and decided to recuperate at Bike X Cape. They go to bed early, as they have to leave at about 4am to be in Cape Town in time for work and stuff. I smirk to myself. I'm on leave, I have all the time in the world.

I park my bike next to the tent of my choosing, and go in search of Michelle. At the house, I peer over the closed bottom door and seen an unknown young man sitting there, and ask him where Michelle is. She isn't there, but Rael is, and he kindly comes out to say hello. Soon he and the lad, son of Rael's best friend who is visiting for a week, are adjusting and lubing the bike's chain and sorting out any little niggles that catch their thorough eyes. I take a walk about to catch up on all the changes that's been made since my previous stopover here.

New arrival at Bike X Cape: One mare that Michelle got arrived pregnant, and here is the mare and her offspring, walking towards their camp for the night.

I enjoy the mood of this place, and the odd decorations. I wonder what it must be like to visit in the rain

I'm amused to see the little mossies pecking at the burnt offerings on the braai grids. Unwitting carnivores or BBQ connoisseurs?

I would love to have something like this beautiful specimen in my little home.

This looks different. It dam must have been here but maybe they fixedit? Or planted the trees? The platform is new.

The area to the back of the camp where there are some lekker enduro tracks to race around, apparently.

These huge blue gum trees catch my eyes every time. They are simply majestic.

The young man joins me at the bar while I wait for Michelle to come back, and we start chatting about bikes, etc. He points out something he only learnt at the end of his visit, what the "pis lelies" are for. These are basically pipes planted into the ground, with a wider receptacle for those with poor aim, in case both the ablutions are engaged and a guy needs to take a leak. I am stunned. All this time I've been visiting Bike X Cape and I never knew... :imaposer:

Spectacular sunsets

The lad is celebrating his recent 21st birthday with a trip to Cape Town to visit mates. What a coincidence, I say.

Michelle arrives and promptly starts pouring the lad Jagermeister shots - she can't send him away without tomorrow without a hangover :lol8: We visit late into the night over an excellent braai.

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2021, 08:55:43 pm »
Day 2 and I take my time getting ready. Rael kindly sells me some fuel, which means I don't need to fill up at Sutherland today. I pay my dues and wave a cheerful goodbye as I head out the gate. Adventure awaits!

I head in the direction of the R356 and then turn towards Sutherland. I am a little nervous and excited - I'm heading up Ouberg Pass today. Last time I came down from Sutherland side, the bike took a nap in the first hairpin bend, but I don't plan to fall today. The area is dry and although it is hot, it is bearable. I don't come across any traffic all the way to Ouberg.

That funny little koppie on the front of the mountain on the right marks the spot where my handlebar broke on a trip once. Whenever I see it I am overwhelmed, "And I find myself here on my knees again caught up in grace like an avalanche."

Gent is behaving impeccably, not missing a beat.

Following my track on the MapOut app. It shows the turn-off left towards Ouberg Pass.

The road to Ouberg Pass. I wonder whether I should have turned off later, because as soon as I turn off, I come across a closed gate into someone's farm yard. The gate is open though, and no one shouts at me for passing through. The beef on the hoof regard me with some distrust through.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:11:43 pm by Ri »

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2021, 09:22:47 pm »
This is another road I still want to take some day, the back entry into the Tankwa Karoo National Park. It should end up at the Tankwa Tented Camp, if I'm not mistaken. My only worry is a loose sandy surface, but I guess I can paddle it if I need to, humiliating as that would be :lol8:

The road beckons, and I carry on.

Attempted panorama shot. I don't think I have the hang of it ::)

An almost illegible board showing the way to Ouberg Pass. @Trygve Roberts , when are you planning to refresh this sign? ;D

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 10:10:40 pm »
Such awesome pics and you sure do have a way with words. It has been way too long since I visited the Tankwa
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

The following users thanked this post: Ri

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 10:13:37 pm »
.... My only worry is a loose sandy surface, but I guess I can paddle it if I need to, humiliating as that would be :lol8:

If a rider paddles their bike through a sand patch and there is no-one around to see it ...did any feet ever touch the ground ? ;)
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2021, 07:47:48 pm »
.... My only worry is a loose sandy surface, but I guess I can paddle it if I need to, humiliating as that would be :lol8:

If a rider paddles their bike through a sand patch and there is no-one around to see it ...did any feet ever touch the ground ? ;)

:laughing4:

Thanks McSack :)
Clarens must have some heavenly roads as well, surely? And you have that great little Tornado to play with? When are we reading about that?

Offline Ri

• Race Dog
  • Ri Bikermouse
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 08:06:50 pm »
The road becomes noticeably steeper and the surface becomes a looser. For some reason my memory has edited out a bit of the Ouberg Pass. Quite a lot, in fact, like the length of it, and how many little switchbacks it has, and how it just goes up and up, steeper and steeper. I crawl up it at barely more than walking pace, wondering where all the road came from.

So far so good - no spills yet!

I slowly head upwards, getting up on the pegs when the road surface resembles a temperamental child's Lego project. Carefully crawling around another hairpin, I find a white Hilux pulled to the side of the road. The driver and his passenger are peering down, waiting patiently for me to pass. I smile and wave my thanks, and they wave back. As I pass the bakkie, the driver leans over his passenger and enthusiastically waves two thumbs-up at me, grinning hugely.

Ek verkneukel myself. I adore these kinds of interactions. One or two last bends, and suddenly my efforts are rewarded with unmistakable views.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2021, 08:10:53 pm »
Baie mooi. Nous ek sommer lus vir ry.
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef
Most people say "Be like Elon" or "Be like Bill". I say "Be like Pablo" :biggrin:

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits