Botswana fence ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
So lets start this first with a little background.

Quite some time ago it all started with one of our members, Xpat who posted a ride report and photos of tracks along the Botswana fence. 
After that many hours have been spent dreaming about this ride and staring at google earth and T4A maps.

Another big dream of mine is the Kalahari Rally, yet rally racing is an expensive game and has always been on a back-burner dreamers list.  I then got an opportunity to get involved with KRXX and plans were falling in place to join a KR training camp. 
Arrangements were being made and even less sleep was to be had trying to research as much as possible regarding rally riding, roadbook terminology and navigation.

Then our fellow countryman decided to put a spanner in the works and postponed my KR dreams again.
BUT, Swambo has already given her permissions, the weekend has already been planned and set aside to go and ride bike and have an amazing time. 
Come hell of high water I will go on this weekend.  Permits was organized but now new routes and plans had to be made due to not going to the KR event.

Once again, more sleepless nights and reading old ride reports to plan a route.  There are so many amazing places our members have been that it took me ages to get a plan and GPS tracks.
I was planning on flying solo, due to being unemployed I may just have an extra day or 3 on my hands, just in case my handlebars pointed in a different direction.  ;D

Then, 1 day before my planned departure my, brother from another mother, [member=27385]Fielies_RSA[/member] called and said if I postpone my departure by 1 day he will come along.
And just like that it was time once again to restart the planning and changing routes.  We were now limited to a weekend ride and having to ensure that a heavy "tank" is able to join and complete the ride.

Now, once again enter Xpat and his Bots fence ride.  I asked Xpat to share his GPS track, so that I have a backup track to follow should we start running short on time.  I did not want to sleep outside in the winter. :eek:
Xpat's response was " I will send you my track on 1 condition, you share video footage of the GS attempting the route:eek: :eek:

So this triggered a few questions inside me.
1.The photos I've seen posted of this route did not look that hard??
2. Is it really that technical?
3. Should I warn Fielies before hand or just leave it as a surprise?
:imaposer: :pot: