Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Motorhome Advice/Adventures of Betsie the L300  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Etienne2T

Motorhome Advice/Adventures of Betsie the L300
« on: July 28, 2021, 12:35:10 pm »
Hello people of the internet,

Quick background, we (myself, wife, 2x dogs) find ourselves with some excess free time on our hands and an equally hungry appetite for adventure before entering our dreaded 30's. We've been waiting for the embassy to allow us into the country we're emigrating too however covid has dealt its fair share of blows so last year I bought a Defender, kitted it out and we spent about 6 weeks touring as off the beaten track as possible - then the embassy said come along we're open, sold the landy only for the embassy to close the gates again leaving us in limbo until the gates eventually open.

I've been eyeing the market for a little motorhome for us to tour around SA for 2-3 months, but have little to know knowledge aside from renting one of those Maui campers for a few weeks.

With an old motorhome like this you could potentially be looking at old vehicle problems as well as old caravan problems bundled into one - which is a concern. Can anyone with some knowledge in the field weigh in on what potential problems there are with a 20 year old caravan/motorhome, is this a potential black pit or are they relatively straight forward?

Looking specifically to get a Mitsubishi L300,  and tow the 990 behind it, they seem to have quite a strong following in SA

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:29:53 am by Etienne2T »

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
Re: Motorhome/Caravan Experts weigh in please
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 12:47:57 pm »
A lot of privately owned motorhomes are older, but not high mileage... You'll probably have to  some maintenance on a used unit, but  it'll more than likely be plastics and rubber parts. :thumleft:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

The following users thanked this post: Etienne2T

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 01:01:54 pm »
I wanted one of these very badly - then I went to the Kruger with some mates who have one - thank goodness I took my caping trailer....

The resulting thoughts on my behalf is that you have a caravan that you have to take everywhere with you - so you stop at a camp in the Kruger and you want to go on a game drive..... You have to pack everything up, leave, come back to someone else on the site you thought you had......
And you cant go down some roads because they are too narrow.....
And the fuel costs are the same as a car & small caravan....
BUT - no trailer with a 990 on it.....

My mates eventually bought another BIG Venter trailer to leave at the camp - they have a scooter in it, washer, dryer, another fridge/freezer, work-bench etc., but they also travel for 4-6 months a tear as well.
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline DapperMuis

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Royal Enfield (all models)
  • Be the Lion
    • merctravels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 04:40:34 am »
Rent a few options on kampi.co.za before committing,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
merctravels.com
New travels in an old car

PistonPete:
 ''Your RE would have been at the thin edge of the wedge that made the British Empire. There's no where where that bike would not have been!''

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 09:44:10 am »
Meet Betsie, a true barn find one owner 60k km 1994 model, as original as the day it left the WJ factory and the last edition of the WJ Mitsu's to be made.

Same age as the wife, both have questionable handling and performance but gets the job done.

Offline Psycho Porra

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Sworn To Fun and Loyal To Rum
Motorhome/Caravan Experts weigh in please
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 09:55:19 am »

Same age as the wife, both have questionable handling and performance but gets the job done.

Brave man you are

Great looking motorhome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:56:11 am by Psycho Porra »
KTM990, DRZ400E

"The brave do not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all"

Offline Buff

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2021, 11:47:41 am »
 :laughing4: Very cool looking old rig (the Campervan)  ;) :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline Chukudeer

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 11:51:17 am »
Looks like plenty fun  :thumleft:.....the caravan  ::)
KTM 990R
Gas Gas 300 now we cooking
Lisdectia rules ko

Offline RyanI

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 03:58:47 pm »
Keen to hear how your adventure travels go. Maybe keep a thread going on it? also keen to hear about life in a camper van as we are renting a caravan next month to see how that goes - as opposed to normal camping.
BMW850GS (2018)

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 09:01:34 am »
Made it back to Hermanus with Betsie, picked it up in CPT and had it serviced, carb cleaned and reset and all the bits that a 27 year old would need.

The 990 is riding on the back as emergency tow vehicle  :imaposer:

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 11:07:24 am »
Made it back to Hermanus with Betsie, picked it up in CPT and had it serviced, carb cleaned and reset and all the bits that a 27 year old would need.

The 990 is riding on the back as emergency tow vehicle  :imaposer:

Nice. I tried convincing my wife to try living in a camper permanently but she didn't bite so we moved down instead. I'll still do it someday
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 08:40:43 am »
Few updates on the old girl, we’re doing the month of October on the road, 990 on the back, wife and dogs on the inside, so updated and brought the inside into the 2020’s a bit.

Bathroom before and after

Had a bed made to spec from swissmate, no sleeping on the cushions

Updated the flooring, changed the cupboards, took all the old 12v fluorescent lights out and replaced with LED’s, as well as a small kitchen update

Lastly for now added a small projector cinema setup in the back for F1 Sunday's when we’re on the road and occasional movie night if it’s storming outside. The screen rolls away into the curtain corner and the project shines out of the cupboard above.

We spent a few nights next to a river last week living out of Betsie

We’re waiting to hear if we can leave SA at the end of Oct, if our paperwork comes through then this old girl will go for sale.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 03:22:57 pm by Etienne2T »

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 01:58:03 pm »
Great job Etienne! The "old lady" looks quite sexy.
Ek sal laaik van n prentjie hier sit, maar is te f0kken onnosel...

Online Knucklhead

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 04:03:24 pm »
Few updates on the old girl, we’re doing the month of October on the road, 990 on the back, wife and dogs on the inside, so updated and brought the inside into the 2020’s a bit.

Updated the flooring, changed the cupboards, took all the old 12v fluorescent lights out and replaced with LED’s, as well as a small kitchen update

Lastly for now added a small projector cinema setup in the back for F1 Sunday's when we’re on the road and occasional movie night if it’s storming outside. The screen rolls away into the curtain corner and the project shines out of the cupboard above.

We’re waiting to hear if we can leave SA at the end of Oct, if our paperwork comes through then this old girl will go for sale.

leaving, the dogs too ? mooi campervan that  :thumleft:

Offline Etienne2T

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2021, 04:16:08 pm »

Thank you  :thumleft:

Quite a process getting them across the pond as most Airlines don't want to fly the breed..but they're coming, their crates are ready  :3some:

Online Knucklhead

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 07:49:30 pm »

Thank you  :thumleft:

Quite a process getting them across the pond as most Airlines don't want to fly the breed..but they're coming, their crates are ready  :3some:

Legend  :thumleft:

Offline Karoo Rider

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1100L Africa Twin
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 09:29:36 pm »
I like these - my dad had a Mishu combi in the mid 80's which serves us well for many years. Never had a day's problem with it.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2021, 11:10:08 pm »

Online DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2021, 07:20:18 am »
Wow, love the van looks like a comfortable place to take a long break

Offline Black_Hawk

• BackroadRiderZA
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com
    • My Towns A to Z
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2021, 08:10:37 am »
I think you found a gem in both of the '94 models. Great looking camper and I like the "renovations" that you've done.
Follow our blog: https://mytownsatoz.wordpress.com

2010 F650GS (Sold), 2009 BMW F800GS, 2002 BMW F650GS (Sold), 1982 Honda XR200R, 1984 Honda XL600R