What Bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
Evening,
I have an itch that wants/needs to be scratched and have being looking at various bike options and what is available.
I was at a place today and if conditions had been slightly more favorable, I would have pulled the trigger.  But I spoke to a wise man on the way home and he gave me some additional points to ponder and now I have even less idea as to what to go for...
I eventually sat down and made a list of what I think I would like in a bike, but I might be (most probably) blinkered into thinking a certain way.  So I pose the question to the Forum as to what bike would satisfy the following criteria?
I plan to use the bike for:
- Commuting (25 km a day)
- Car replacement transport
- General run around
- Medium distance touring and other buggering around
- Light to mediocre off road capability
- Occasional pillion
I have listed my critical criteria in order of criticality and those areas that are not too essential in italics.
  • - Seat height up to max of 795 cm (Seat/suspension lowering option but at no extra additional cost). I have God given short suspension (Short legs) and while I am aware that there are plenty of shorties riding tall bikes, I might need to get other novice riders a chance to learn and gain experience as well as confidence.
    - ABS and other safety features
    - Reach at least 150 kph and maintaining it
    - Good local support and range of spares and accessories
    - Elements of self maintainability
    - Cheapish spares (Relative, I know.  What is cheap for you might not be for me)
    - Light to Medium weight
    - Fuel economic
    - 2013/4 model or later
    - The less Kms the better
    - 600 - 800 CC
    - Preferably a model still in production
    - Manual

• Someone told me that buying a bike was an emotional choice and I tend to agree.
    Budget?  Under 100K
    I am also aware that some of my criteria might be contradictory so please excuse that.
    Looking forward to responses