Overberg to Cederberg and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challa

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
It had been almost three months since my Baviaans excursion and the only riding I managed to do was the occasional dirt roads around Wellington and Malmesbury. A longer trip was due to get away from the city and smell the flowers, so to speak. [member=8769]Vulcan[/member] recently acquired a DR250 Djebel and after some much-needed TLC (forks, tires, and a not so pretty luggage rack mod  :) ), we decided it was time for an Overberg and Cederberg jaunt.

Thursday was filled with the usual humdrum of work and things to do around the house before I set off to Struisbaai at 16:30. Daylight was not on my side as I head out the Nothern Suburbs towards Sir Lowrey’s and Peregrine farmstall for some coffee to fill up my “tank”. I hit Napier at dusk and the road from Bredasdorp to Struisbaai is ridden in the dark. This is not a fun exercise, there are tons of visible roadkill and plenty of nocturnal animals scurrying about.

I manage to arrive in Struisbaai without incident and welcomed by the Vulcans with food and drink. We go over our planned route for Friday and Saturday with some assistance from team Speyside. Vulcan is slightly nervous about the trip as the shakedown run for the Djebel was only 40 km. Time will tell if his nervousness is warranted.

The next morning we prep the “recovery” vehicle, by removing the bakkie’s canopy just in case we need to bring the little Djebel back. We fill up the bikes and head out towards Protem and Stormsvlei via the dirt roads just outside of Bredasdorp. The Overberg canola is in full bloom and we are treated to some spectacular views of the canola fields.

80km into our trip I discover that I don’t have my backpack with me… What a dumbass! We phone back home and true as nuts, the backpack is on the patio table next to where I parked my bike the previous evening. The backpack stores my water bladder, rain suit, and first aid kit. After a quick deliberation, I decide against turning back. Onward!!!!!

From Stormsvlei we hit tar via Bonnievale to Montagu and hit the dirt via Ouberg pass to Touwsrivier. The landscape sits in stark contrast with the pretty Overberg canola. It is a different kind of beauty altogether, but still a worthy mistress. At Touwsrivier we take a break to fill up on fuel and food. We head out towards the R355 and Tankwa Padstal. The road is very dusty, dustier than I remember, but the open road is good for the soul. The occasional maniacal 4x4 speeding down the R355 provides even more dust. A beer would be so good right about now, I keep on thinking. We rode at a very relaxed pace with the Djebel taking the lead, but we are chasing daylight and decide against a cold one at Padstal and head straight for Oasis.

We reach Oasis without incident and Vulcan is immediately greeted by another fellow Djebel rider from the neighbouring tent. The evening is filled with the usual strontpraat as I listen to “die manne se army stories”. Ek was nie in die army nie, so ek hou my bek.

Saturday morning I am rudely awoken, by the sound of bikes starting up. It’s time to get up as we have planned to ride to Eselbank and Wupperthal. Eselbank and Wupperthal might be old hat to the seasoned adventure riders, but it would be my first time there on a bike. (Rode it many moons ago with a 4x4). The road to Eselbank is a helluva lot of fun, with plenty of water after some seemingly good rains. At Eselbank we meet up again with our neighbours with the Djebel and KTM 690. The setting is plain, but the coffee is good. From Eselbank it’s onward to Wupperthal. The dreaded sandy section before Wupperthal provides a nice little challenge for Vulcan’s Djebel. The little bike handles it with ease. No duck walking, no spills, no fuss for the little mighty mouse! From Wupperthal, we head out via the Biedouw valley and Pakhuis pass.

Just before the exit out of Biedouw we bear witness to a nasty accident. A bakkie landed up in the left-hand ditch, the canopy popped off and there seem to be some injuries to a couple of youngsters. On Pakhuis pass we pass a number of oncoming rescue vehicles; a grim reminder to take it easy when in remote areas. Help is often miles away.

We reach Clanwilliam, fill up the bikes where Vulcan vents his frustration with an idiot parking in the disabled bay. It is apparently one of his pet peeves. The idiot decides to leave after the tongue lashing, but another idiot soon takes his place, his only disability being the oncoming type 2 diabetes from the 2 ice creams he is scoffing down. I mention something about witnessing a miracle as the man can walk again. My attempt at humour is wasted on the folks in the queue… Tough crowd.

We head back to Oasis via Clanwilliam and Algeria, feeling quite accomplished about the days riding. A very enjoyable day, with great views of the Cederberg area, and some much-needed distraction from city life. We settle in at the bar to watch the final match of the Lions tour finish up our drinks and head back to bed relatively early as the next day will be another long day in the saddle.

On Sunday morning, we settle our bill, say our goodbyes, and take the shortest route back to Struisbaai. The wind is terrible as we slab it almost all the way from Ceres to Struisbaai. After battling the wind for several hours we reach home. Vulcan parks the little Djebel with a huge smile on his face. The little mighty mouse performed flawlessly. Not a single hiccup. Plenty of thrills with no spills.

Final thoughts. Although my F800GS performed flawlessly and I had zero issues with the pebbles, rocky bits, water, and sand as with a lot of German engineering, it is devoid of personality whilst the little 250 was a hoot barring the lack of speed on the open road.

Is open road flat-out speed such a big deal? I hear a lighter Japanese dual sport calling my name…

Attachments

• overberg.jpg
    overberg.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 324
  • wupperthal.jpg
    wupperthal.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 325
  • sofarsogood.jpg
    sofarsogood.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 322
  • tankwa.jpg
    tankwa.jpg