Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lane splitting & the South African Road traffic act  (Read 527 times)

Offline Jonathan

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Lane splitting & the South African Road traffic act
« on: August 15, 2021, 01:44:56 pm »
Hi, i am hoping that someone can help with the regulations in the South African Road Traffic act , specifically with regards to lane splitting by motorcyclists.
I am having a huge argument with my friend who considers himself somewhat of an expert on the Road Traffic act, he says it is illegal for a motorcyclist to split lanes, however i remember a few years back there was a huge challenge by South African bike magazine ( Bike SA) , and that at the end of the day it was declared legal ?
Can anyone help ?
I would love to win the bet & put this argument finally to sleep.
Thanks,,,,
Jon

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

The following users thanked this post: Jonathan

Offline martin90

Re: Lane splitting & the South African Road traffic act
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 03:47:57 pm »
Well, I have bookmarked 2 websites for this very sort of discussion:
Arrive Alive and some insurance article that lists the actual government legislation:

https://www.arrivealive.co.za/Lane-Splitting-Advice-and-Guidelines-for-Bikers-from-the-Experts

https://carinsurance.arrivealive.co.za/what-are-the-rules-of-the-road-on-lane-splitting-by-bikers-motorcyclists-in-south-africa.php

Very contentious debate and a lot of opinions thrown around. Only way is to read through the nitty gritty black and white stuff, but also be sensible and conscientious to those around you :)

Martin
'94 DR 650R, '13 Ninja 250 SE, '12 Street Triple 675, finally back to DS with a '12 Tiger 800 and '97 XR400R

The following users thanked this post: Jonathan, Ri

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 04:50:12 pm »
Hi, i am hoping that someone can help with the regulations in the South African Road Traffic act , specifically with regards to lane splitting by motorcyclists.
I am having a huge argument with my friend who considers himself somewhat of an expert on the Road Traffic act, he says it is illegal for a motorcyclist to split lanes, however i remember a few years back there was a huge challenge by South African bike magazine ( Bike SA) , and that at the end of the day it was declared legal ?
Can anyone help ?
Thanks,,,,
Jon

Lane splitting is not mentioned by name in the NRTA.  If you read the specific article (I cannot for the life of me remember the number ... maybe 197?) on overtaking it is clear that sharing a lane under certain conditions is legal.
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

Offline SwartBlackie

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 08:40:01 pm »
Wrote my learners again the other day.....It is legal but there's a "but" to it in terms of speed. Can't remember the T's and C's though

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 09:01:34 pm »
Here we go again... :sip:

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 01:10:17 pm »
Raising and discussing subjects like this in the public domain only serves to draw the attention of of the 'ban it' brigade.

Carry on doing it in a sensible low profile manner and keep shtum. That's my opinion.  :deal:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 01:38:40 pm »
Can anyone help ?
Thanks,,,,
Jon

Just post his e-mail address here.. trust me, you will win the argument

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Sabre

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 07:44:05 pm »
Can anyone help ?
Thanks,,,,
Jon

Just post his e-mail address here.. trust me, you will win the argument
:laughing4:
"Riding a motorcycle is technology's closest equivalent to being a cowboy. Our modern horse has two wheels instead of four, but it's nervous system is appropriately rated in horsepower" Robert Edison Fulton jr. From his book "One Man Caravan"

Kawasaki 650 Klein Land Rover
BMW 1150 Groot Seun

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 10:24:25 pm »
It all boils down to the white line, if dotted you may split, if solid no. :sip:

The following users thanked this post: Beserker, Jonathan

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2021, 01:34:44 pm »
Can anyone help ?
Thanks,,,,
Jon

Mention lane “sharing” not splitting. It seems that makes more sense wrt “the act” as it’s written.
Something about 2 vehicles may occupy the same lane if there is space to do so.
Stu
1290 SA-R

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Jonathan

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2021, 01:56:51 pm »
It all boils down to the white line, if dotted you may split, if solid no. :sip:
You may split irrespective of the line type, splitting does not require you to cross the line. The idea is that you're sharing a lane with another vehicle. Well, that's how I have it at least. :sip:

Offline Fudge

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2021, 03:19:25 pm »
According to the Motorcycle Safety Institute of South Africa, this is the Status Quo:

"What does the law say?

This topic comes up all the time. It’s completely legal for a motorcycle to pass another vehicle travelling in the same lane and in the same direction. Said vehicle (which includes motorcycles), however, may not travel alongside another vehicle though. Refrain from referring to the annulled Road Traffic Act, 29/89.

National Road Traffic Act 93/96 applies now.

Regulation 298 states – Passing of vehicle (1) Subject to the provisions of sub regulation (2) and (4) and regulation 296, the driver of a self-propelled (emphasis added which includes motorcycles) vehicle intending to pass any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction on a public road shall pass to the right thereof at a safe distance and shall not again drive on the left side of the roadway until safely clear of the vehicle so passed: Provided that, in the circumstances as aforesaid, passing on the left of such vehicle shall be permissible if the person driving the passing vehicle can do so with safety to himself or herself and other traffic or property which is or may be on such road and— (a) (b) (c) (d) (e) the vehicle being passed is turning to its right or the driver thereof has signaled his or her intention of turning to his or her right; such road is a public road in an urban area and— (i) is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction; and (ii) the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles; such road is a public road in an urban area and the roadway is of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles moving in each direction; the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction and is divided into traffic lanes by appropriate road traffic signs; or he or she is driving in compliance with the directions of a traffic officer or is driving in traffic which is under the general direction of such officer, and in accordance with such direction: Provided further that in no event shall any passing referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (d) be done by driving on the shoulders of the roadway or on the verge of the public road concerned. (2) The driver of a vehicle shall not pass other traffic proceeding in the same direction on a public road when approaching— (a) (b) (c) the summit of a rise; a curve; or any other place, where his or her view is so restricted that any such passing could create a hazard in relation to other traffic which might approach from the opposite direction, unless— (i) he or she can do so without encroaching on the right-hand side of the roadway; or (ii) the roadway of such road is restricted to vehicles moving in one direction. (3) The driver of a vehicle on a public road shall, except in the circumstances referred to in the first proviso to sub regulation (1), upon becoming aware of other traffic proceeding in the same direction and wishing to pass his or her vehicle, cause his or her vehicle to travel as near to the left edge of the roadway as is possible, without endangering himself or herself or other traffic or property on the roadway, and shall not accelerate the speed of his or her vehicle until the other vehicle has passed. (4) When about to pass oncoming traffic, the driver of a vehicle on a public road shall ensure that the vehicle driven by him or her does not encroach on the roadway to his or her right in such manner as may obstruct or endanger such oncoming traffic. (5) The driver of a vehicle intending to pass a stationary bus on a public road shall do so with due care for the safety of persons who are approaching or leaving or may approach or leave such bus.

In addition, Regulation 309 (6) (a) states – Persons, other than traffic officers in the performance of their duties, driving motor cycles on a public road, shall drive in single file except in the course of overtaking another motor cycle, and two or more persons driving motor cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time: Provided that where a public road is divided into traffic lanes, each such lane shall, for the purposes of this paragraph, be regarded as a public road."

Here is a link to a comprehensive overview of the art of lane splitting from their site - https://www.msi.org.za/lane-splitting/
Honda XR125L
Honda XL600R
Honda XR600R
Yamaha TW200