Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Does using a GPS affect your brain ?  (Read 1262 times)

Offline surf

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Eks in...
Re: Does using a GPS affect your brain ?
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »
Ek kan nou al die nuwe borde sien:

This is a Private road.

Doesnt matter what your GPS tells you...

:deal:
"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them..."

Disselboom

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2008, 01:29:01 pm »
Or: TRESPASSERS WIL HAVE GPS INSERTED ANALY.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2008, 02:05:14 pm »
There is also the problem of false signs.  This was on a certainly public road, I had come in from the other side & saw this when i exited the other side.  The gate was open when we got there.  I am afraid that I don't believe many of the signs I see.

EDIT:  This is on the road XT660R is discussing in his current post 'WC Cederberg Trip"
About 1 km up the road there is a turn off to your left called ` Moodverloor and this takes you along The ROOIBOS HERITAGE ROUTE.
Wow , what an awsome ride , plus minus 117 km later we got to Nieuwoudsville.
There are a lot of gates to open and close , but a beautiful route to travel.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 10:31:05 am by tok-tokkie »

Disselboom

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2008, 02:08:21 pm »
How can you tell which ones are legitimate and which are not?
Not sure if a load of buckshot is worth finding out.

Offline keithk

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2008, 05:36:53 pm »
Possibly a little "pre planning" before a ride will assist with the GPS in confirming correct legal access roads.  :)
ROUTE DIFFICULTY:1 = tar
2 = good gravel /pillion friendly
3 = interspersed with sand, mud, sand , bush / not pillion friendly
4 = lots of sand, technical riding
5 = expert only (we are not worthy, still to meet one)

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2008, 05:58:41 pm »
Also Google earth has a road layer where someone has gone and vectorised anything that looks like a road. A few of the roads on my place show up on google, looking exactly the same as public roads. My road is so kak though that only  the most intrepid adventurers make it to the end.....  :laughing4:

Offline Hagar

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2008, 09:27:10 pm »
I hate it when public roads are simply locked. (It is actually an offense to block a public road)  As a mountainbiker I have seen how roads we always used are closed of. Around George we lost a lot of tracks where we had historical rights.

The so called private towns and closed roads in the Gouritz area paricularly frustrates me.  (Where they would not even allow a local fisherman to walk through the town)  If you start complaining and make a big fuzz they reluctantly open the gate and let you through as they know they are technically in the wrong. 

We will have to start looking at working together to preserve our right to ride certain places.  Often the local farmer(s) and municipality simply decide that the municipality will no longer maintain a  road and next time you find that it has been locked up and the owners of the surrounding land will tell you it is a private road.  At no stage are the vested rights of all other users considered.   Once a certain link is lost, a whole route becomes unrideable.   In the Uk it seems from what i have read that historical access is taken very seriously. 

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2008, 09:50:44 pm »
Also Google earth has a road layer where someone has gone and vectorised anything that looks like a road. A few of the roads on my place show up on google, looking exactly the same as public roads. My road is so kak though that only  the most intrepid adventurers make it to the end.....  :laughing4:

More so on Google Maps than Google Earth.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • What me worry?
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2008, 06:35:20 am »
Hmm another point... I wonder how and why your road got on the GPS?

Often a public road gets de-proclamated, meaning it is now private. So because it was on maps etc way back it might be on the GPS map.

How does this happen and how often does it occur?

WF, if those roads were public at some point how were they made private ....by fencing off a road does not make it private...there is a legal process that needs to be followed.
Born to lose, live to win!!

Offline lecap

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2008, 07:31:40 am »
LoL le Cap it would really be funny if someone pressed the button

+1  :laughing4:

It actually did happen although only to a limited extent and it might happen again. All users of precision GPS applications will know. The yanks obviously don't want any missiles to home in on their own nav. system.

WF: How do I actually know that I am trespassing?
Not that I can't read but on above mentioned Biedouw Valley Road you eventually reach an (unlocked but closed) gate with a sign in Afrikaans which amongst some writing depicts a fire arm. As the road is drawn in various maps and according to my research is public (or open to the public?) I assumed the fire arm is depicted in connection with some bozo not closing the gate after passing through / littering / stealing lifestock? Does anyone actually remember the sign and is able to enlighten me about the Afrikaans inscription?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 07:56:28 am »
Hmm another point... I wonder how and why your road got on the GPS?

Often a public road gets de-proclamated, meaning it is now private. So because it was on maps etc way back it might be on the GPS map.

How does this happen and how often does it occur?

If the authorities don't maintain the road, and less people are using it, the owner of the surrounding land through which the road runs can apply to the relevant local authority to have it done. It is a process as you said. They might have to publish for public to object etc.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline WF

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 08:26:14 am »
In our case its never been a public road.The original farm roads do show on the maps.Many of my internal farm roads also show up,not sure how or why.Some of my internal roads are pretty wide as they serve as fire breaks during the winter months and thus seem to be put onto the maps.How do we correct this ?
So now Wally looks at his GPS , the shortest way to A is along this road, zoom in and he will see that the road ends 3 mm from A, it equates to 1,2 km and the road does not run through. To make matters worse he now argues and gets aggressive with me.

Now when a sub division happens the farms register servitudes for access, these are not necessarily the same as the original internal roads.This is a legal process.
On entering our area, you firstly travel along a servitude road and then the road across my neighbours farm is actualy only a right of way for us, definitly not a public road.
So we have public roads, servitude roads and on most of the big farms right of way access.

So i guess its pretty difficult not to make a mistake , but atleast accept that if confronted the land owner has a pretty good chance of been right no matter what the GPS says and dont become too arogant unless really sure of yourself.

Cutting locks, climbing over fences and so on is looking for trouble.

Everyone dies, not everyone lives !

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2008, 08:39:32 am »
Maybe put up a sign that says: "If your Garmin brought you here, you are lost", or "You got lost WITH your Garmin"   :imaposer:

Offline Fenderbender

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Robertson
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2008, 09:26:40 am »
This problem will get bigger and bigger. Bottomline, if you get to a gate with a private sign on it, you respect that and find another route. Your gps cannot be trusted , no matter what it tells you. Its only a electronic device to help you , not  decide for you .
Here in my area people are also getting gatvol for guys with the mentality of "but the gps says I can ". Respect other peoples private property. You cannot freeroam just because you have a gps on your bike. :thumleft:

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2008, 10:32:55 am »
I posted a picture of 'false' warning on a gate.  XT660R went on that very road in his current thread 'WC Cederberg December' where he wrote this:

About 1 km up the road there is a turn off to your left called ` Moodverloor and this takes you along The ROOIBOS HERITAGE ROUTE.
Wow , what an awsome ride , plus minus 117 km later we got to Nieuwoudsville.
There are a lot of gates to open and close , but a beautiful route to travel.

Offline Carlos

• Bike: Yamaha XT660
    • Design
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2008, 04:05:19 pm »
I would put up a toll-road sign get a guy to open and close the gate and charge R50 a car

Offline Stirrr

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 05:04:33 pm »
Maak n sign, "STOP JOU twatwaffle!!" :laughing4: :laughing4: Dalk verstaan hulle dit!!!

Offline Deon

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »
Dis hoe dit werk.  Boere is gatvol van die (mense) wat skaap steel.  Dit is hoekom hulle alle ingange of deurgange wil blokkeer.  Ons het nie plek op ons bikes vir skape nie, nie eens 'n klein enetjie nie.  Meerste boere sit borde op wat sÍ privaat, al is dit 'n openbare pad.  Die boere in die Caledon area sit meestal die bord net langs die pad.  Boere in die Karoo sit dit op die hekke.  Die boere moet besef dat ek op my bike aan sy kant is.  As ek op 'n skaapdief afkom sal ek reg in eie hande neem.  Ek gaan defnitief nie saam met ta braai nie.  Ons sit mos letterlik nie om dieselfde vuur nie.  Bikers ken ook die plaashek reŽl.  Jy los 'n hek soos jy hom gekry het.  Die boere wat openbare paaie as hul eie ein maak dit vir almal moeilik.  Later gaan ons nie meer weet wat is privaat en wat is nie.  As ek 'n private pad teken sien aanvaar ek dat dit 'n openbare pad is.  Dit is weens die tale onwettige borde.  As ek 'n roete beplan op openbare paaie en ek kom by 'n geslote hek aan, en ek het nie genoeg brandstof vir omdraai nie, dan het ek mos geen ander keuse om die draad te knip nie.  Ek sal egter die draad weer regmaak.  As die boere my samewerking wil hÍ, sal hulle hul kant ook moet bring.

XR500, DR600, TT600, XT600, XR600, XR650R,
Goldwing 1000, CBF, CBX, Varadero *2.

Offline Crowley

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »
Unfortunately I also have to say that there are a lot of private property road signs out there that are completely bogus.

There is a specific road that I know of that you enter from the one side with no gate nor fence on it but when you get to the other end of it, it says private property for the road that I just travelled on. What do you do in a situation like that?

It obviously cast serious doubts on any signboards legitimacy of this nature.

I agree if you ride on a road and get to closed gate by all means donít go through it if itís got a private property sign on it. But unfortunately there are a bunch of farmers that do think they can do whatever they want to do the same as there are guys on bikes that think they can ride on any road that they see.

As to GPSís making us stupid, itís the routing that is created by the Garmin/Tom-tom or whatever brand of GPS manufacturer. They do make mistakes in their mapping software and the only way of them correcting it is if you send the information. If you let them know that the road is private/old/not accessible they eventually do something about it. It takes time though as it only changes with their software releases, so donít expect results the next day. 

Offline Dustdevil

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 07:42:19 pm »
Hi WDs.
This is something i just have to get off my chest. The GPS is an amazing and very usefull tool ,it gives us freedom and confidence to explore unknown areas.BUT does it make people stupid ? When you enter a road which has a PRIVATE PROPERTY, NO THROUGHFARE SIGN and a closed gate does your inteligence not say, ok the GPS shows this road runs to oom Koos but maybe its outdated or wrong in some way ?
Well obviously in many cases NO.Ive just had to chase after the 2nd moron today and convince them that no you cant ride through my property, past the signs and closed gate just because your GPS shows a road.

Guys please we need to respect peoples private property and use our heads.Not all secondary and gravel roads on your GPS are public .
This may sound very petty but i for one have this every weekend and even more during holidays.In the present situation we as farmers find ourselves we are very aware of strangers entering our property { isnt everyone ? } and although i try real hard to be nice it gets a bit much by the 10 th time in a day.
And when im told that im wrong because the GPS says i can , i really loose my sense of humour !

Lastly i must add that so far this holiday all the morons have been in cars !   

Don't worry some of us hardcore explorers have also been loosing some of our sense of humor. Many farmers have taken the liberty to lock gates on what is still considered public roads. Just because a road does not carry any traffic anymore and the town council have stopped the maintenance on it years back does not give farmers the right to block access. Now I know the government have been de-proclamating some secondary roads but even here there is suppose to be proper signage provided at the start of the route to indicate that at some point there will be no further access.
When I get blocked with a road that did not warn me at the start of my proposed route I will take the liberty to open that gate and continue if the road is a through road.
More so if no signage is provided at all.

I believe in any case that in this rotten capitalist society there is to much emphasis placed on ownership of land. I believe land ownership should reside with the communities or people living on the land. NOT GOVERNMENT OWNED OR RUN but if you live on the land and work the land you are part owner but with no individual right except for the prescribed right allowed to you by the greater community through a forum of collective participation in the running, management and utilization of the land.
When you decide to leave the land you automatically loose your part ownership and there is no profit or gain that can be made from such a choice. Land should have no commercial value, period. (You first have to get the chiefs permission before you can ride through :thumleft:, but the chief must carry the communities general sense of approval.)

Tell me truthfully, on what basis do you really think that that should be called your land? because you paid some money for it and the government give you the right through a piece of paper called a title deed ::) That title deed is not worth the paper it is written on, and this rainbow chicken government is still going to proof that >:D
BUT if you and a group of like minded people from one or different races were collectively making a living on that there land, no government can remove you or your community otherwise they are simply repeating the "atrocities" of the past "regime". At least they won't get you of without using violence and force.

I come from a farming background and our farm bordered a large dam loved by the weekend fisherman and hengelaars. Most of my dad's aggravation and performing was unfounded and he never bothered to put up a clear sign explaining that access is limited and that the land was private.
Farmers in general just tend to be difficult especially if they come across you after the trespass have been committed whether you were aware of it or not.
Just ease up a little there and after making an assessment of the kind of people that are crossing your land you will know if they are sheep thiefs or murderers. And if you still in doubt call the police. But stop harassing the people crossing your land as long as they do it in a orderly manner and behave themselves sticking to the roads.

Farmers are also isolating themselves with this kind of behavior making it easier for criminals to target their farms.