Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Getting bike (trip/race) fit?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
Re: Getting bike (trip/race) fit?
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2021, 11:25:20 am »
doing rally on 990.

I just find the 300 more tiring in a shorter time, especially on the forearms.
so I use it for 'bang for back' for my time vs getting fit.

and I plan to sell it after rally, so getting last use of it. (I am not a scrambler kind of guy)

My 2c - I will stop hounding you now. I'm quite curious how this is going to turn out.  8)

I have ordered a new FJ Cruiser timed to arrive just after I have repaired that 990.  I'll give him 48 months to pay.

Offline Brewed_Coffee

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2021, 03:23:01 pm »

so now thats out of the way, what else can one do if you are the average father and have limited time to ride, but have a big trip or race coming up?
I can go to gym at 5 to 6am but cant ride bike at that time. So exercises I have focused on is some  spinning/bicycling(I hate it, so this is capped at 5minutes  :patch:) At least I have moved to a bicycle without back support  :-\
something else I do is farmers walk with dumbbells. To work my shoulders and forearms. But other than that I just train faster to get some fitness back.

"Fit"  and "Riding Fit" are entirely different.

But what stops you riding at 5am?
R1200GSA
F800GSA
Previous:- R650GS, R1100GS, R1150GS, R1150GSA, R1200GSA,R1200GSA,K1200LT

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2021, 08:02:23 am »
zero road book training, but I am riding Gold class which is with GPS. (I just got my second GPS, just need to still buy a mounting.)

I do believe you can make a difference in 3 weeks. Even if it is just to learn to ride more efficiently. Not starting the thread wont highlight or reiterate that.

And I am already going to gym each early morning, replacing one set of benching with 5 minutes on the rower will help, 1 or 10% focused fitness gain is better than nothing.

(but no jokes, I am also curious how this will turn out, with myself as guinea pig.)

Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2021, 08:43:11 am »
I will try not to be sponsoring that FJ!  ;D

5am riding will be a bit of a stretch to do it every morning. I dont stay on a farm.
Aware of riding fit being different, doesnt mean I am not going to do what I can to prepare myself.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:46:14 am by m0lt3n »

Offline PHILIPKUHN

• Maak a stoffie!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2021, 08:43:24 am »
Ek sal ook hier iets tik, ek ken die omstandigheide en vir Kathu.
Tyd op die bike (990) is wat gaan werk, glo nie die grond paaie hier rond is van hulp, ek sou se meer soos tyd op a MX track, waar mens se lyf hard werk om bike te hanteer. a goeie begin is elke middag a uur en die naweek teminste 4ure.

Dit is sad, dat ek nie op die stadium daai ou kan wees wat jou met die 950 jaag nie, want dit klink soos fun.

Sterkte.
Groete
Philip Kuhn
tel: 0824155625
Email: philipskuhn@gmail.com

Offline chopperpilot

• Afrikaans...Dis my taal! Engels...Dit verstaan ek ook!
  • Grey hound
  • "Jack of all Trades... Master of Some."
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2021, 08:50:06 am »
Jy's nog jonk, en ek glo nie dik nie, en kan bike ry. Jy sal fine wees.

Hou aan met die gim sessies, as dit al is waarvoor jy tyd het. Het jy ń personal trainer? Indien nie, kry een, ons druk onsself nie hard genoeg nie!

Ons wag vir die ride (race) report!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current Bikes : KTM 990 R, Yamaha T7 Tenere

End of an Era : Suzuki DR 650 SE, Husqvarna 610 TE, KTM 500 XCW

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2021, 09:01:08 am »
But what stops you riding at 5am?

A coffee sponsor    :P
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2021, 09:20:19 am »
Crossfit

hak vrystaat

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2021, 10:16:04 am »

Look at this dude! Am I understanding it correct that he actually won? What class?

I did Bill's suggestion yesterday, riding bicycle with the family but never sitting. Worked nicely, you support yourself on your hands as well so even that is working. This morning gym was plenty wall sits, some farmer walks and some cycling. Tomorrow will be core focused.

Now I need a route for this weekend, tough but not to remote. Going alone I tend to forget to check my speed, either go to slow or to fast.

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2021, 10:37:13 am »
As they say "strength is specific" and so too is cardio so bike riding would be top of the list. 

I find just being generally fit and fairly strong helps though (Ive never done anything like what youre attempting, just multiday riding trips.).  I'd keep doing the squats and deadlifts to keep the ass and back strong, add some HIIT cardio I reckon....Firstly it takes less time than hours running or cycling, and 2 for me it kinda emulates riding...short burst of intensity with "rest" in between.    I guess also trying to ride smart and conserve energy would help.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 10:37:55 am by Roadhawg »
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Xpat

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2021, 11:10:11 am »

Look at this dude! Am I understanding it correct that he actually won? What class?

I did Bill's suggestion yesterday, riding bicycle with the family but never sitting. Worked nicely, you support yourself on your hands as well so even that is working. This morning gym was plenty wall sits, some farmer walks and some cycling. Tomorrow will be core focused.

Now I need a route for this weekend, tough but not to remote. Going alone I tend to forget to check my speed, either go to slow or to fast.

I believe you are busy shooting yourself in the leg with daily gum. You are going to overcook and be fatigued for the race - you are too late for that. You are also putting too much focus on strength - especially arms which I think is completely wrong focus. If I look at some of the best rally riders in the world - Coma, Cyril Despres, Chris Birch or that Yamaha Pol Pot dude, you are probably stronger than any of them. Or do you think that Laia Sainz has stronger forearms than you?

If you look on your body as employed on the bike - legs, torso, arms - the arms are clearly the weakest link. But trying to make them stronger is fool's errand IMO for your purpose. Instead learn to ride so that it is the legs and torso that take the strain and arms are loose most of the time. And the only way you will do that is riding. I even don't like the bicycle riding as it seems from your description that you are using your arms again - might be wrong though - if you keep your arms loose during all this (i.e. your weight sits squarely on pegs while standing then it definitely will be worth it.

But the best IMO is riding 990 in technical terrain - shot loop through sand or rocks will do (don't go wasting time on dirt highways) and focus strongly on  riding with your arms loose as much time as possible - that is the key indicator for me of correct body posture and most effective riding.

I would find some close by loop (e.g. that sand loop you did some time ago with plastics - if that is close enough for quick get away) and rather ride it number of times as often as possible. And not trying to be fast or  exhaust yourself, but to get to the point where your technique is good enough to do it whole day.

I have ridden past weekend 900 km loop again along Bots border in a terrain you will see in Karoo and was able to handle it fine applying the above principles. I also didn't exercise prior two weeks (apart from running) and felt much better than before when I usually throw some kettles bells around and then get fatigued for the weekend ride which then doesn't go that well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 11:13:06 am by Xpat »

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2021, 11:29:51 am »
Is your bike race fit? Just did about 600km of gravel and the bloody zorst on my 990 snapped at the 1st weld after the rear header;( Very dangerous as the link pipe is now hanging from the lamda sensor wire between the swingarm and the tyre - could have been ugly.
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline Fransw

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2021, 11:43:19 am »
Goeie advise sover! Gym is vir moffies ;). Fokus op interval cardio oefeninge, google dit as jy nie weet hoe. En natuurlik core..

Maar dit gebeur ongelukkig nie oornag..

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2021, 07:13:05 am »

But the best IMO is riding 990 in technical terrain - shot loop through sand or rocks will do (don't go wasting time on dirt highways) and focus strongly on  riding with your arms loose as much time as possible - that is the key indicator for me of correct body posture and most effective riding.

I would find some close by loop (e.g. that sand loop you did some time ago with plastics - if that is close enough for quick get away) and rather ride it number of times as often as possible. And not trying to be fast or  exhaust yourself, but to get to the point where your technique is good enough to do it whole day.

The best advise IMHO, and I don't even need to type it with one finger, I can just quote.

This and stretching.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2021, 07:34:37 pm »
The best advice I can give is to rent my Honda