TE 610, spares and getting work done, recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR600
Hi All.

Would appreciate any input!

So I bought a 2009 Husqvarna TE610 even though it had a bit of unusual knocking sound which I thought was due to the valves needing adjusting.  Adjusted valves, revs lower, but still there (audio file attached).

I checked the tensioner which is at 6 or 7 clicks so I don't think it's that.

So I brought the bike to a mechanic someone recommened in Pretoria, where it's been sitting (about a month) awaiting word on what's wrong (I guess they have a long queue). 

Ok, the question is ... I know the TE-610 is a great bike (I can only think a KTM 690 would be it's successor but that's much more  $ as well), but is it realistic for a non-mechanic to own one these days considering parts (un)availability?  Am I going to get stuck without a necessary part necessitating throwing the bike away (or parting it out) eventually? 

I suppose I can order the odd ebay / oversees part from time to time if necessary (when available in this manner) -- but would love to know if there's a local wizard mechanic(s) who knows this bike in particular and who have experience in "making a plan" to get it sorted, which may include knowing where there are perhaps some local spares sources?    I can wrap my head around basic things like checking valves and such, but tearing into the engine isn't necessarily where I want to go.  The bike is parked at a suggested place, but perhaps the mechanic is just so great that there's a month to wait before it gets looked at -- so looking for alternatives for future reference in the Gauteng area.

Just wondering if I made the right decision to get this TE (which looked to be in good condition, 23,000km) or if the potential of being unable to get it fixed one day is looming for every TE610 owner? 

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210813-004407.wav
    800.9 KB