Tyre pressure for R1200GS Adventure in soft sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedZed

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I am planning to tour both Namibia and Botswana and I will be experiencing soft sand roads at some point. Can you guys tell me what the ideal tyre pressure should be for soft sand?.

I will be running a TCK80 on the front with a Mitas E07+ Dakar on the rear on my GSA, I will be solo and the bike not over-loaded with luggage. The standard pressures for road riding on standard tyres are 2.9 bar rear (42 psi) and 2.6 bar front (36 psi).

I have read many posts on forums which contain many different opinions. Some say that airing down the tyres on a heavy motorcycle has no advantage? I could maybe see this point of view and if you did go over anything hard at low pressures then there is a great risk of rim damage.  I used to have both a Nissan Patrol and a Toyota Land cruiser, with their tyres aired down to 15psi the vehicles could reach the top of any major sand dune, with road pressure the cars would get stuck in the sand after 50 meters or less.

I am sure many of you will have done soft sand on a GSA with this combination of tyres, your opinions would be very much welcomed.