Leo and Excalibursâ?? summer Antics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
â??Zwa de Viâ? said the salesman as the two blonds looked at the little bottle of French perfume. â??Itâ??s French for â??Come to Meâ? said the salesman as he handed the small bottle to the one to smell the fragrance. â??It doesnâ??t smell like cum to meâ? remarked the second blond after a quick sniff.

We were standing at the Afri Ski resort in Lesotho after examining the suspicious looking white subsistence that was spilled all over Excaliburâ??s clothes inside his panniers. Well all I can say - it did look like cum to me, but he was claiming his Zwa de Vi shampoo bottle had opened and it was shampoo that had spilled onto his clothes.

As usual Iâ??m getting carried away, so let me try and capture the sequence of events right from the start. I went on leave one week earlier than the G/F and decided to do a tour down south to join with her in Danabay as she is old enough to travel down on her own and meet me there. The plan was simple, ride a distance of approximately 300 kmâ??s per day and be in Danabay one week from today.

A packed Honey ready for the upcoming trip.

Dec084.jpg

We set off early morning with our destination for the day being the Afri Ski resort in Lesotho where a friendâ??s lodge would house us for the night. We covered some back roads through the Freestate via Frankfort, Bethlehem, Clarens and entered Lesotho at the Caledonspruit gate. After recent rains the dirt roads were smooth dirt highways and by 12 pm we were sitting in Clarens at a well known establishment enjoying a good pizza and some cold stuff.

Smooth roads after good rains

Dec082.jpg

Locals were attending a church sermon and took little or no notice of the biker scum that were in the area.

Dec083.jpg

Apart from the officials, we were the only people at the border post and before one could say â??Lesothoâ? we were heading up the beautiful Moteng pass which was now covered in a lush green blanket due to recent rains and general warm climate. A quick Zamalek at Ox Bow, a few more photoâ??s passing the highest point on road in southern Africa and by 4 pm we parked our bike at the now snow-less ski resort that is absolutely packed between May and August. Apparently this joint is rented at R4500 per day between May and August with over 490 people being shown away last year due to no space!

Excalibur at the border post into Lesotho against the backdrop of sandstone cliffs and high mountains

Dec085.jpg

The magnificent Moteng Pass

Dec088.jpg

â?¦..where suicidal goats graze on the cliff edges

Dec087.jpg

��.and water tumbles over several meters of cliff

Dec086.jpg

This truck couldnâ??t make it up the Moteng pass and the only way of stopping it from runaway was to run it back into the mountain

Dec089.jpg

Excalibur displaying his â??Zwa de Viâ? spots

Dec0812.jpg

We were going to do the braai thing, but had not packed any firewood/charcoal - anyone whoâ??s been to Lesotho will know that above 3000 metres thereâ??s no trees to be found.

The Afri Ski Resort

Dec0810.jpg

The snow-less ski slope at Afri Ski resort

Dec0811.jpg

Our accommodation for the night

Dec0815.jpg

The caretaker promised to bring us some planks, but we soon realized that braaiing with those treated planks will cause severe gippo guts so we opted to cook the rib in the oven. Excalibur, being the excellent chef that is an essential part of being single soon provided us with a sumptuous meal accompanied by the best courtesy of the Richelieu brandy cellars. Supper was enjoyed inside a warm cabin with good music, lotsa B&C and laughter as the temperature dropped outside to levels I have never experienced in December in Africa. The next morning we were up bright and early and had quite a surprise when we stepped outside into an 8 degrees mountain chill. 

Supper at the lodge â?? notice us wearing fleece jackets.

Dec0813.jpg

It became quite obvious why the ski resort was built here â?? this high up it was always cold even in the heart of summer.

Early morning chill

Dec0814.jpg

The highest point on road in southern Africa

Dec0816.jpg

Water was aplenty in Lesotho and rivers were flowing while waterfalls were falling

Dec0819.jpg

Another beautiful setting

Dec0821.jpg

Water everywhere

Dec0820.jpg

Excalibur sorting his helmet against a magnificent backdrop

Dec0818.jpg