Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Honda Quest: True Adventure 2021 is on  (Read 3503 times)

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
Re: Honda Quest: True Adventure 2021 is on
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2021, 12:57:03 pm »
Hi Kamanya, what is the gender and age make-up of the selected contestants?

Bootcamp;
One female.
28 in total, 30'ish to 70.

Thanks for the 70, but I was not asking your age .....   >:D

I was being serious. I hope I am half as keen at his age and able to ride like he does.

Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline BuRP

Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2021, 12:09:53 pm »
Work has just been a bit crazy.. Ill share some of the prep and packing next week
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2021, 11:03:25 am »
In between the commitments of business and family life it was awesome to finally start prepping

Because I do a lot of adventure riding it was simply a case of opening up a drawer and throwing things in piles on the floor.. I generally have 4 piles that I attend to

1. Medical & hydration - Full medical kit with all your hydration requirements
2. GPS and electronics - GPS with backup GPS, batteries, cell phone charger, headlamp.. that kind of thing
3. Tools - -healthy set of tools with spare tubes
4. Gear - warm weather gear, cold weather gear split into riding gear and camp gear.. done.

I really need some new gear.. mine is falling apart a bit

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Sandban(g)k

« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2021, 11:18:10 am »
Ek het nog n ekstra heavy duty 18 duim tube wat ek gekoop het vir Quest - eerste Quest contestant in Pretoria by my huis kan hom kry...

(PS hy is splinter nuut, en die kans is baie goed dat jy kan punte wen by n instrukteur - dis net hulle wat pap wiele kry  :pot: )

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2021, 11:53:38 am »
Ek het nog n ekstra heavy duty 18 duim tube wat ek gekoop het vir Quest - eerste Quest contestant in Pretoria by my huis kan hom kry...

(PS hy is splinter nuut, en die kans is baie goed dat jy kan punte wen by n instrukteur - dis net hulle wat pap wiele kry  :pot: )

Says he who modified the whole rear of a brand new Africa Twin :biggrin:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 11:54:08 am by Kamanya »
Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Sandban(g)k

« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2021, 12:25:51 pm »

Says he who modified the whole rear of a brand new Africa Twin :biggrin:

:imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

At least the tyre was still fine and dry  :deal: :pot:

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2021, 02:10:34 pm »
In between the commitments of business and family life it was awesome to finally start prepping

Because I do a lot of adventure riding it was simply a case of opening up a drawer and throwing things in piles on the floor.. I generally have 4 piles that I attend to

2. GPS and electronics - GPS with backup GPS, batteries, cell phone charger, headlamp.. that kind of thing
4. Gear - warm weather gear, cold weather gear split into riding gear and camp gear.. done.

Drop the medical kit, there is a medic to attend to you. 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2021, 05:57:23 pm »

Drop the medical kit, there is a medic to attend to you.

I generally will  take my med kit on every ride I go on, no matter if its a planned funduro with medics or an rally with life support medics around.

The reality is that sometimes all you need is a pain killer for a headache or a burn shield for a burn.. no need to wait for the medic to catch up, he may be an hour behind or has to go attend to another rider.. you never know.

Being prepared is what adventure riding is all about, I don't like relying on other people because I am not prepared. If need be ill visit the medic at camp, or if its serious then sure , we will wait for the medic but IMO there  no reason why we cant prevent the medic from being stretched thin by being sorted ourselves.

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2021, 09:01:08 pm »

I generally will  take my med kit on every ride I go on, no matter if its a planned funduro with medics or an rally with life support medics around.

The reality is that sometimes all you need is a pain killer for a headache or a burn shield for a burn.. no need to wait for the medic to catch up, he may be an hour behind or has to go attend to another rider.. you never know.

Being prepared is what adventure riding is all about, I don't like relying on other people because I am not prepared. If need be ill visit the medic at camp, or if its serious then sure , we will wait for the medic but IMO there  no reason why we cant prevent the medic from being stretched thin by being sorted ourselves.

Understand your point, but you will understand my point once you completed the quest.    :thumleft:
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2021, 08:37:34 am »
1st day back behind the desk after 10 fantastic days that was the Honda Quest

I have literally hundreds of photos to go through and I need to step back and just process it all but keep your eyes peeled for a ride report. :ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Africamike, hartebees

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2021, 11:10:12 am »
Understand your point, but you will understand my point once you completed the quest.    :thumleft:

With all due respect, pack the medical kit, an emergency response needs to be conducted in minutes.

It is so part of my kit that I will feel at a loss without it.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Vis Arend

• Grey hound
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2021, 11:43:12 am »

With all due respect, pack the medical kit, an emergency response needs to be conducted in minutes.

It is so part of my kit that I will feel at a loss without it.

Depending on what emergency, for the untrained it can be more harmful than any help at all.  If you ask me I will most probs kill you within a minute.    :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong, we also pack a medical kit, at all times.   :deal: 
I was just remarking on additional "luggage" on an event like this.  As far as I know the medic is at all times in close vicinity to the contestants and then the instructors, who at all times are with the contestants, do have radio coms with the backup/medic vehicle.     

Some would like to carry their medical kit along, I for one would only carry some pain killers and rennies along.   :thumleft: