Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First Maiden Ride  (Read 449 times)

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Soli Deo Gloria
First Maiden Ride
« on: September 27, 2021, 09:05:11 pm »
Destination: Disakloof Betty's Bay
Route: 174km

To give some context, our church was holding a men's camp and we decided to make a trip of it with the bikes. Neither I nor @ravingDIODE tackled such distance and Raving's gear was itching to be tested!

We were both excited for the trip - I could not wait to test out the 'new' bike and see how she handles, let alone carrying luggage as well. I was a bit nervous since I would rate myself as a beginner rider with only 500 odd kilometres on the bike, which was previously my G450X. Raving on the other hand has more experience along with a motorcycle license, growing up with bikes in his younger days.

Packing was also new for me, to optimise the space you have. Raving blessed me with two bags for my birthday which was perfect timing before our adventure. The plan was to try and pack light - I only used the Nomad bag and my trusty Cape Epic backpack. The zips on the Nomad bag impressed me a lot because I fully stacked it with my gear: clothes, toiletries, cutlery, towel and sleeping bag. Maybe it does not sound like a lot on paper but I was aroused by the packing space of the little bag. On top of it, I fitted my pillow in a black bag to keep out dust for the gravel riding we were planning to do. More valuables, chargers, drinks, snacks and loose ends I kept in my backpack.

We covered the distance fairly good and the roads weren't too busy. In the beginning, I was greeted with my reserve light, so we filled up at Engen Kraaifontein before stopping at the top of Franschhoek Pass for a quick photo and to take in the beautiful view. My last time was on pedal-power back in 2019. Next up we passed Theewaterskloofdam followed by Van Der Stel Pass. This is where I soon realised I am not yet so confident on gravel roads, more specifically tight hairpin turns...

I should probably also note that I recently got riding boots before the trip, so was also getting used to standing while riding but everything was going smooth until one turn caught both of us off guard completely. Raving recovered good but I on the other hand froze and locked my eyes forward instead of looking out of the turn going straight into the soft rim. My front wheel sunk into the sand and I knew I wasn't able to keep the bike upright and moved my left leg out of the way and dropped it. Luckily no damages on me or the bike and but only a bruised ego, looking completely like a noob. To make things worse, I tried to get out of the sand in 2nd gear the whole time, resulting in the bike stalling three times before finally getting out. Raving was showing 1st gear with his hand but I kept replying I am already in first.

We made our way to Ou Meul Bakery & Farmstall Botriver for a quick refuel before stopping in Onrus for lunch at my grandmother. The wind was completely insane at Ou Meul, it looked like a dust storm and locals said this wind was abnormal. It was interesting to ride in those conditions but a good learning experience.

Arriving in Onrus, I only had one thing on my mind - FOOD! My grandmother made us her legendary frikadeller and potato salad. There was even pudding, waffles with ice cream and honey. Not in the mood for the wind, we headed onwards to Betty's Bay for our final stop. It is amazing how fast one cover distance on two wheels, even with a headwind tackling us from in front.

Reflecting on the weekend's riding, I can see I am not bike fit yet. My whole body was quite sore and my wrists are untrained, especially on the throttle side of things. My bum was also bruised due to the flat seat. It isn't a super big deal to me since I was a road cyclist for 3-years, so I am used to hard seats. All things aside, the bike handled well and will gladly take her on the next adventure. We are already planning a ride for this coming Thursday - tackling Riebeeck Kasteel and Wellington in search of some dirt roads.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 09:12:23 pm by Andrew_Smith »
2009 BMW G450X w/ Factory Replica Sticker Kit (Sold)
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

The following users thanked this post: GeelKameel, RobC, Jamaj, ravingDIODE

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: First Maiden Ride
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 09:11:04 pm »
Lovely route.. :thumleft:

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith, ravingDIODE

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 09:13:28 pm »
Lekker! Hope you do many more rides.

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith, ravingDIODE

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 09:21:22 pm »
And here I thought you had an iron butt with that hard seat  :ricky: Nice write up! Was plenty of fun and you told me we must stop for photos often yet I still forgot as I just wanted to ride  :peepwall:

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Smith

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 09:27:10 pm »
And here I thought you had an iron butt with that hard seat  :ricky: Nice write up! Was plenty of fun and you told me we must stop for photos often yet I still forgot as I just wanted to ride  :peepwall:

Hopefully, we can stop more on the next adventure.  :)
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Offline ravingDIODE

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Armed Preacher
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 09:28:49 pm »

Hopefully, we can stop more on the next adventure.  :)

Will make a plan :-P

Offline Sheepman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 06:51:14 am »
Great write up of your first trip  :thumleft:

Offline Rooies

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 07:49:27 am »
 :thumleft: :thumleft:
Current:     BMW R1150GS -> "Die Waterbuffel"
                  Honda XR650L
Previous:   BMW R1200GSA
                  Honda XL700V

Offline skydiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 08:00:36 am »
Thank you for the RR
Knobblies like TKC80 or Anakee Wilds on that front rim will give you much more confidence on the gravel

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 08:03:17 am »
Thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciate it.

Disakloof also boasts a beautiful camping spot under the trees and a striking mountain in the backdrop.

https://disakloof.co.za/

2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 08:06:53 am »
Thank you for the RR
Knobblies like TKC80 or Anakee Wilds on that front rim will give you much more confidence on the gravel

I got the following with the bike as well:

But they are off-road orientated since the previous owner said at 80kph, they get a bit wonky. Keeping them in the garage until @ravingDIODE and I take on the Tankwa when we are big.  :pot:

With that being said, I believe the dual sport tyres at the moment is totally fine for the gravel we are facing - the problem lies more with me as the rider. I still need to work on those confidence levels and technique, trusting the bike to the rest as well.
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 08:11:15 am »
Lekker. Hope it's the first of many reports :thumleft:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 09:06:51 am »
Lekker RR!
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 09:27:18 am »
Thank you for the RR

But they are off-road orientated since the previous owner said at 80kph, they get a bit wonky. Keeping them in the garage until @ravingDIODE and I take on the Tankwa when we are big.  :pot:

With that being said, I believe the dual sport tyres at the moment is totally fine for the gravel we are facing - the problem lies more with me as the rider. I still need to work on those confidence levels and technique, trusting the bike to the rest as well.

That's more like it! Looks like a 606 up front?

Remember it's not about how fast you go, but how good you look going slowly 😂

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 09:32:55 am »
Lekker reading about the enjoyment noobs get out of riding and doing trips, it ignites the flame again. :thumleft:

Thanks for sharing, hope there's many more to come. And enjoy!

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 09:34:18 am »
Thank you for the RR

That's more like it! Looks like a 606 up front?

Remember it's not about how fast you go, but how good you look going slowly 😂

Michelin Desert. Great in the dirt but also not great for a beginner on tar. It can squirm a little
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2021, 09:35:39 am »
They are also quite pricey. You can probably sell that second hand set for close to the same price as a set of new 606's

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 09:43:56 am »
Lekker Andrew! And congrats on the bike - these X's really are do it all bikes, and eventually you'll be able to take it places where you cannot imagine now. And with a bit of getting used to riding even a 620km-day ride is doable.
Welcome to chat to me if you need any advice concerning the bike - tires, gearing, possible issues, suspension, servicing
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 04:34:12 pm by MildlyWild »
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 10:20:41 am »
And for some encouragement - my dad starting riding a motorbike for the 1st time Nov last year, at 70, and he recently did a 3 day 1000km trip with us, which included some serious mud and water, some sand, Swartberg pass and another pass which makes all the normal gravel passes in WC seem like a highway. Was around 700km gravel/offroad.
Between 6 riders we had 9 falls / bike drops on the trip - it happens (mud, sand and terrain more technical than most guys are used to will always increase the odds)

Keep at it, ride lots and explore much :ricky:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 10:26:12 am by MildlyWild »
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline Andrew_Smith

• Pack Dog
  • Soli Deo Gloria
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2021, 01:26:23 pm »
And for some encouragement - my dad starting riding a motorbike for the 1st time Nov last year, at 70, and he recently did a 3 day 1000km trip with us, which included some serious mud and water, some sand, Swartberg pass and another pass which makes all the normal gravel passes in WC seem like a highway. Was around 700km gravel/offroad.
Between 6 riders we had 9 falls / bike drops on the trip - it happens (mud, sand and terrain more technical than most guys are used to will always increase the odds)

Keep at it, ride lots and explore much :ricky:

Wow, hats of to your dad! I am hoping that I will be blessed and able to ride a bike if I get as old as that. Thank you for sharing your story, sounded like an awesome adventure on two wheels - dad & son tackling it together.

I'll keep in touch if I need any advice/input with the G650X.
2007 BMW G650X Challenge

The following users thanked this post: MildlyWild