Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: tankwa rally - 1; 990 - 0  (Read 1081 times)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
tankwa rally - 1; 990 - 0
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:11:04 am »
Yes I did it.
sort off
And came back in one piece
sort off.

Sometimes one has to put your money where your mouth is, stop saying you want to do something and then grab any small excuse you can to not do that thing. That was the approach I took.
So I committed.

Stuff I had to address was making the 990 as best suited for aggressive terrain as I can, and get myself fit, without spending tons of time on the bike as I simply did not have time to spend.
(In hindsight, I should have put more effort in to get more riding fit.)

So, I started upping the cardio at gym and started a thread on how to get more fit for riding/racing/trips. Got some good feedback there which helped.

Then focused on tyres.
most aggressive but durable rear I know off is the MotoZ dessert H/T. But no one had stock of the 150. The 140 was also close to a R1000 cheaper so I bought and fitted that.
Not so sure if the size change was a good idea on the stock rim but the tyre was. Its only when I put the new MotoZ next to my fairly new Battlax that I realized how much more aggressive it is. I am now of opinion that this aggressive MotoZ rear is a non negotiable for something like this. This tyre saved my bacon plenty times. The grip in loose sand between the rocks was awesome, those moments where you expect to struggle up an embankment but then you dont.

On the front tyre I had more drama. They send me the wrong tyre, something with thread similar to TKC80 and I wanted more aggressive tread. So I took the tyre of my 300 and fitted that. Again an odd size, a 100/80 and not the normal 90/90.

This will also be here where you ask me why I went with the 990 and not 300.
I got the 300 to teach myself to ride better on the big bikes. but a 2T does not translate so well. I also dont trust it, the carb isnt that lekker and I simply dont feel at home on it. I have zero 'small' bike experience, and only done probably 8 hours on the old-ish 300. Also decided I need to sell a while ago.

Packed everything in the landy, matrass included and left. I wanted to keep it simple and one thing was to sommer sleep in the car. next time I would do it the same way. Had more than enough space in the car.

I did cringe having my bike on the trailer on a gravel road. Some serious dust there. Which also reminds me I need to service my airfilter.

anyhow, some pictures

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:14:20 am by m0lt3n »
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline JohnB

Re: tankwa rally - 1; 990 - 0
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 10:56:05 am »
 :sip:
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 11:02:30 am »
:sip:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:14:18 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 11:26:11 am »
Did you do an adventure class?

This is the 1st year I wasn't at Tankwa. Covid budgeting blues  :sip:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 11:29:32 am »
My idea with the ride report is to clarify the unknown stuff others, who has also never done a race don't now.
So I got there, went for the scrutineering, got the gift pack, (wondered if there was any influence from Nelspruit when I saw the sponsored toothpaste), got riders briefing at 8pm and slept early. Come 5am I was long since awake and excited for the unknown.

Rally class lined up at 5:30 and was off an hour later for their long liaison to Sutherland. Our offroad class line up was at 6:30 to be off at 7:30. I actually thought earlier would be better, but thats the adventure rider in me speaking, earlier start gives more day light. Thinking of day light riding hours should probably not be what you do in a race.

At the start line I met a Belgium that was going to do it on an 890 Rally. It made me feel less stupid for trying this thing on the big bike. Also had more chats with some of the other riders and you quickly realize there is some hardcore riders here, guys with tons more experience, senior guys you just know will be riding circles around you.
ahh well

pic one my bike with the murder of off-roaders. (or is that a flock, or congregation?) This is also where you start to doubt your sanity
pic 2 the fuel arrangements which also gives an idea of how the setup works. You supply fuel to the fueling point you think you will need fuel from/at.
     also note silver class only had a different route on day 2 with gold being an extension on silver. so you could stop early and drop a class if you were such inclined. a nice setup.
     (for reference, I made day 1 up to the Kosie Burger stop where I was stopped, more on that later...)

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 11:31:09 am by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 11:33:59 am »
Did you do an adventure class?

This is the 1st year I wasn't at Tankwa. Covid budgeting blues  :sip:

Dont think there was an adventure class. I did/attempted the main route.
There was Rally (roadbook), and then Offroad gold and silver classes (GPS)

Correct me where I get detail wrong?

And let me know if I should rather not share certain stuff (politics and sensitivity not always my strong points)

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 11:45:45 am »
Na.. share away.. politics and sensitivity is not my strong point either. Being critical of an experience helps the organisers do things better in the future IMO. Clive appreciates all feedback.

I was just asking what class you did, I heard that there would possibly be an adventure class for big bikes this year, I thought you may have done that when i saw the big bike.

So you did the silver class? that is actually not exactly easy on a big bike.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 11:49:11 am »
Na.. share away.. politics and sensitivity is not my strong point either. Being critical of an experience helps the organisers do things better in the future IMO. Clive appreciates all feedback.

I was just asking what class you did, I heard that there would possibly be an adventure class for big bikes this year, I thought you may have done that when i saw the big bike.

So you did the silver class? that is actually not exactly easy on a big bike.

my plan was to do Gold, but I ended up with nothing.
and no, 'not exactly easy' is putting it mildly  >:D

Offline hartebees

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • https://www.onanysunday.co.za
    • On Any Sunday
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 12:02:48 pm »
Following. I was there on a WR450 and would like to know how you got up and down certain parts of the track. I would never have even tried it.

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 12:29:44 pm »
Sub
Was very tempted to enter on my 890. Maybe next year….. depending on your experience doing it on the 990
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 12:38:08 pm »
2 weeks prior I did a quick ride (the open road long distance incorrect type) where I got 350km on a tank, so I reasoned in a race I should get 220km easy and put out 10liters for DP3. Turns out I was reasoning like my arse

Anyhow, day 1, flag lifted and I was off. Riding fairly aggressively I was doing okay. Aggressive off course a relative term, I was slow.... but trying to push it.
we soon got in a kind of riverbed embankment setup with bushes all over and this tunnel you have to ride in...and I was pushing my limits.... and came down hard.
I was rider 17, nr 18 came passed (had a good laugh later, in good spirits, but pretty sure he must have thought what-a-chop!) I picked up my bike and took a moment to remind myself of my battle plan.

You are not here to win, but to finish.
I am slow, slow, slow and have never raced. But I like technical stuff. And technical stuff will be the biggest challenge but also my biggest strength.
Turns out the distance and the continuous never ending semi-tecnical stuff will get me.

Anyhow, I continued. Nice varying terrain, maybe 20% in1st gear and 70% in 2nd. I was still in the bundle and it was nice to ride with Howard on his 500 a bit (sorry, dont know your forum name). He had a little less technical riding experience than I did so it helped my confidence a little. we eventually met riders from the front, we had missed a turn-off, and I did 30km extra, others even more. I immediately knew exactly where the bugger up came in, I had it right, but returned when other guys said that the tracks were not going that way.

on we went.
the riding was a lot like going over a farmers field, on a single track, or two spoor farm track, or sommer over the bushes. Nice thing about this was you know there will be an end to a specific type of difficult riding, bad thing is going over large black boulders between thick sand was crazy tiring on the big bike. Also got lekker gatvol of purple flowers when we rode over a field of the stuff with lots of uneven terrain. Imagine 5km in first gear, fighting the bike all the time, it was crazy tiring. Got to DP1 and got told they think the 890 rallye is out, continued with the loop back to DP2 (same point) and got more and more tired. I started taking more and more breaks and met the sweepers. I was officially last, the 500 also quit.

So, during this time I did take some pics. Almost rode over a tortoise as well. I started pacing myself but was soldiering on. Remember I am an adventure biker, not racer. I have no qualms with riding at night and I enquired the day before on this. "When will they stop you if you are to slow", the answer was never, you stop when you give up. Turns out there is degrees of slow haha!

anyhow, I was tired and tacled the stretch to DP3, the roads opened up and I started to feel good again. Problem up to there was all the technical riding was tiring, but then when small open stretches come it was an opportunity to rest and not to open up. (remember where I said I was slow...) so now there was more open riding, I could actually spend some time in 3rd and touch 4th....I took one or two jumps/erosion berms and then my fuel light came on!
it was a big bummer, my bike must have been doing roughly 10kmpl, by far the worse its ever been. I had to slow down on this faster stretch, even try to conserve fuel on the technical bits. I did 40km with the reserve light on up to the next DP3 where I proceeded to fill the 10l I had into only one tank.
When I got to DP3 the first words to me though were that they are going to stop me. I was to slow and going to be stuck riding at night.
I think if I put up a scene I could have convinced Clive to let me at it, but I also realized my fuel was a bugger up.

imagine fighting to continue, and then getting stuck without fuel in some remote mountain. I was also holding the sweepers up which could be a safety risk for the rest of the riders.

That was my day one. I sucked. The first fall stole my mojo and I didnt do all that well there after. I was also not fit enough made worse by riding slow which is actually harder work.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:42:29 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 12:45:19 pm »
If Clive saw this ride report he will be saying "Plaas ry die tokker meer en neem minder fotos" translated to english....

some more:
pic 1 and 2...going over that on a big bike is incredibly tiring. Terrain like that on day one was my biggest challenge.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:46:31 pm by m0lt3n »

The following users thanked this post: ButtSlider

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 12:51:13 pm »
Following. I was there on a WR450 and would like to know how you got up and down certain parts of the track. I would never have even tried it.

think you are talking about day 2...story coming soon...
Sub
Was very tempted to enter on my 890. Maybe next year….. depending on your experience doing it on the 990

I believe you (and Xpat on 690) would both be able to do better than me and bar some drama will be able to finish.
Both bikes more nimble for the parts that was most tiring for me, and both riders riding at least 5 times as much as I do. (not exaggerating)

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 02:10:31 pm »
Something else I havent mentioned. with a previous ride I felt the knocking of loose neck bearings. So I tightened them...a lot.
It was a screw up, I really struggled to turn. This with the odd tyre sizes (I think it has an effect) really made it difficult to change my line in semi sand.
Later in the day I either got used to it or the bearings loosened up a bit, but it got better.

So, whatever I was doing on day one wasnt working. But with my day (kind-off) looking better later on, I felt a little bit better about day two.
I also made a decision to have less mechanical sympathy. This sounds horrible, but going slow over bad terrain takes forever, you fight the bike and get tired. I had to push harder.
Day two I was also putting out more fuel, and with the option of silver to fall back on, I was fairly positive when we set off after a short liaison.

I set off last, but it was nice to keep the dust of the next rider in sight. For riding confidence and for knowing you are still on the right track.
This until I reached the guy I was chasing. He had had a fall and hurt his shoulder a little. Hurting but still able to ride. I stalled with my dodgy clutch and fell over like a real chop, before I rode on and we got to some technical bits again. I was slow again and he wasnt far behind me so I pulled over for him to pass.
Then the track opened up and it was dusty. I detest riding in dust and fell back, very bummed with myself for trying to be nice.
We then got to refuel where he had a quick refuel and I continued on, glad to be finished with dust.

Then I got to a lekker steep rocky climb. Pretty rough, worse of the (my) rally so far. One of those where you realize halfway through that if you stop, you will have a hell of a time to get going again. It was gnarly but I made it to the top in one go, although I did stall on the last step, but fortunately on top of the step and I could just ride off.
I felt pretty chuffed with myself. (plenty people said later they did not think I will be able to get up there)
Anyhow, mojo growing I continued on till I got to a bad rocky descent. It was also gnarly but I now had another challenge. .
My clutch master cylinder was fubar and leaking. I did send it off to be resleeved but the toppy thought he was smart and made some other plan, a plan that did not work.
I did carry some hydraulic oil with and have topped up/bled the line twice already on the day but it now started acting up bad again. Going down this crazy descent with a non functional clutch was not cool. But I managed.

Halfway down I saw 3 more guys catching their breath. Having an audience I proceeded to drop the bike twice in the rocks. stage fright but going okay i made it without to much drama till I felt the all-hated-feeling of a flat debeaded rear. I was so chuffed with myself but so bummed with the turn of events.

I was carrying a can of sealant as well as only on 21 extra tube.
I used the sealant and saw it was a big gash, about 4cm in the middle of the tread. A rock cut right through. The sealant was not doing its thing.
Last rider came, said hi, and became the second to last rider
Then after that I again met up with the friendly sweepers while busy putting in the 21 tube.

At this point I was dragging my feet, I knew the reality of it all. A 21 is a very short term solution in a rear tyre. I knew my day was over.
It also turned out that the heavy duty rear tube wasnt cut, but had plenty punctures close to each other. Only later I figured out it must have been small rocks worked its way into the tyre and through the tube.

I set off.
Riding wasnt to bad. we did some super flat (still rocky) barren camps as well, riding up a fence and back by the next fence.
I started to feel the rear hopping, sign off the tube crumbling in one area. I stopped where the sweepers could not see me and inflated some more. Did not want to be pulled just yet.

I got to the last DP3 refuel of silver class and refueled. but about 5 to 10km into the last leg the tube was done.
Arrangements were made for pick up and my day was over.
Eventually I got tired of waiting so patched the heavy duty rear....but was picked up just as I was refitting it. I could not patch it earlier as the tyre was very wet because of the sealant.

Had a long ride back in the FJ with Clive as company. Was actually very nice to hear the history of the tankwa rally and his future plans with it. I also decided I wont be doing day 3. It would just be wrong to be credited with a finish (there is some 75% completion rule thing) if I did not finish day one or two. But I also reckoned the tyre is pretty much a time bomb with the gash, pebbles will just cut a new tube up as well.

I was very disappointed, Day one I sucked, but day two was just bad luck.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 02:12:33 pm by m0lt3n »

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 02:16:16 pm »
Damn,I have to much to say.

Here is some pics of the ascent and descent with the photo making it look like it was a Sunday fun ride

The following users thanked this post: husky, hartebees

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 08:22:10 pm »
You did bloody well!

It was heartbreaking to time-bar you, but we all knew you had little chance of finishing and the sweepers had to move on.

Sorry to have left you so long alone out there while Clive and I wrestled with our own comedy of errors!

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2021, 06:45:40 am »
Goed gedoen op daai fiets. Daai tegniese klim moes ‘n uitdaging en ‘n half gewees het

Enige iemand wat al rally gedoen het sal vir jou sê dis nooit so moeilik nie, dis net so donners aanhoudend
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2021, 07:28:08 am »
Yaaaaay! Great to see the big beasts being put to good use.

Take it again next year. You now know what not to use and what to prepare for.

That you got there and did it that far is 100% further than any other Lc8 owner.

Next year I might join you.

Somedays, life's like a middlemannetjie.

Offline Buff

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2021, 08:59:59 am »
Well done on at least giving it a bash. As anyone who's ever done a Rally before will attest, half the battle is just getting to that start line  :thumleft:

I knew you were going to be in for a very hard time on that big girl but I didn't want to dampen your spirit before you got there. I think the event is totally doable on a big bike but then the rider and the bike need to be very well prepared. I watched Rudi attempt it on his KTM950 and even as a very experienced big bike rider, he took a beating, as did his bike.

Now that you know what to expect, you can come back and slay the beast next year. The Tankwa sure gets into your blood  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2021, 09:37:20 am »
Doing Tankwa Rally on a 990 is madness!! :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

But I might just join you on my 950 next year :ricky: (I've already ridden it around the block twice in preparation...)

Seriously, looks like there might be a few big bikes in 2022, and I am keen :thumleft:  Training starts with bike maintenance this week...
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...