Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: tankwa rally - 1; 990 - 0  (Read 1082 times)

Offline ETS

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • Die Punda van Prieska
Re: tankwa rally - 1; 990 - 0
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2021, 10:04:05 am »
Mmmmmmmmmmm--- Twister kom ons ry op 500's
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2021, 05:15:50 pm »
Hi Martin,
Great to meet you, must say you are made of steel, you showed a lot of calm determination with that beast - super well done !!!
We love to read and receive feed back, from our side this was with out a doubt the toughest Tankwa XC.  Just to give readers an idea of the orga reasoning's during a race, we look at riders position on the track vs time left, we also consider how fast a competitor is moving, maybe he/she stopped for a mechanical and is moving well/fast again but catching up or slowing down with a mechanical or injury, also considering temperature and day light etc.
Great read, keep it up, if we host a training camp 2022 it is worth it for everyone to sharpen up and get a real taste.
Love the pictures but do think it is a good idea to stay moving  ;)   
Kind regards
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2021, 06:49:54 pm »
Doing Tankwa Rally on a 990 is madness!! :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

But I might just join you on my 950 next year :ricky: (I've already ridden it around the block twice in preparation...)

Seriously, looks like there might be a few big bikes in 2022, and I am keen :thumleft:  Training starts with bike maintenance this week...
  Super Enduro - 2019 (before covid) we had around four Honda 650 enter - they did very well, BUT this year was tough as advertised ...
No Road like Off-Road

Offline Pietsjiet

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Ry net teerpad tot by volgende grondpad.
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2021, 07:02:51 pm »
Martin. Jy is 'n yster! 
Dit was jou eerste "race" .  Dit gedoen met jou  Adventure  mindset.
Dit kan net verbeter ...
 8)

Ek raak aan die slaap op die saal as ek teerpad ry.

Offline mike gs

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2021, 09:32:42 pm »
Well done meneer. Big respect!

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Love life!

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2021, 10:06:56 am »
Well done.

Taking a 220kg bike into 110kg bike territory takes balls.
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 11:11:02 am »
Well done on at least giving it a bash. As anyone who's ever done a Rally before will attest, half the battle is just getting to that start line  :thumleft:

I knew you were going to be in for a very hard time on that big girl but I didn't want to dampen your spirit before you got there. I think the event is totally doable on a big bike but then the rider and the bike need to be very well prepared. I watched Rudi attempt it on his KTM950 and even as a very experienced big bike rider, he took a beating, as did his bike.

Now that you know what to expect, you can come back and slay the beast next year. The Tankwa sure gets into your blood  :thumleft:

Haha I had a good idea that it will be near impossible for me on the other thread, and actually thought you were very "politically correct" in your tips!

But indeed. I will be much better prepared for the next one. Not only the riding, but understanding the setup will also make for more confident riding.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2021, 11:16:09 am »
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.

I am very very undecided whether I should do it again, and if I do, if it should be on the 990 or just buy a dedicated 250 kind of thing to get it done, or 500 to get a lot of things done.
I am also longing for a modern bike again, and if I havent spend so much on the 990 already, it would have been gone already. So undecided/uncertain and deurmekaar does not begin to explain my thought on my bike setup...

but
if a number of 990 class bikes do decide to go, I will definitely do my utmost to also be there again on the 990.

my wife would actually prefer me to go on the 990, as with something smaller racing becomes an option and not just finishing.
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2021, 11:24:32 am »
Jy het guts Martin, en gawe geskrewe report ook. Jy kan maar volgende jaar weer doen. Die tipe ding byt soos n gogga mens kom elke jaar weer terug. Dit gaan oor die ry, maar ook die interaksie tussen die mense deur die naweek. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Noneking

• Ugly
  • Grumpy Mutt
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R Rally
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 12:54:21 pm »

I am very very undecided whether I should do it again, and if I do, if it should be on the 990 or just buy a dedicated 250 kind of thing to get it done, or 500 to get a lot of things done.
I am also longing for a modern bike again, and if I havent spend so much on the 990 already, it would have been gone already. So undecided/uncertain and deurmekaar does not begin to explain my thought on my bike setup...

but
if a number of 990 class bikes do decide to go, I will definitely do my utmost to also be there again on the 990.

my wife would actually prefer me to go on the 990, as with something smaller racing becomes an option and not just finishing.
I would be keen to do it on a big bike with a bunch of like minded guys…….
2021 KTM 890 R Rally
2007 KTM 990 S

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0
YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaEGQBgLPqOXz6oGUsauaXw

The following users thanked this post: ETS

Offline Offroad2

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2021, 12:58:14 pm »

but

Martin you will more fun on a 450 or 500 (even 350) half way between DSP3 & DSP4 there was some serious tech stuff to link two valleys
No Road like Off-Road

Offline XT JOE

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2021, 08:46:16 pm »
Well done on at least giving it a bash. As anyone who's ever done a Rally before will attest, half the battle is just getting to that start line  :thumleft:

Now that you know what to expect, you can come back and slay the beast next year. The Tankwa sure gets into your blood  :thumleft:

Agreed-just giving it a bash and on a monster 950 as well-bucket list stuff!!
When life gets to hard to stand. kneel

Offline met eish

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2021, 11:09:05 pm »
Well done, respect  :thumright:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 09:05:09 am by met eish »
KTM 950

Offline JACOVV

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2021, 01:23:46 pm »
Respect.   :deal:

Thanks for sharing.
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.