Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Dakar on TV  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
Re: Dakar on TV
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2009, 11:39:16 am »
O and there's a blond on a KTM as well  :ricky:

http://www.dakar.com/2009/DAK/RIDERS/us/equipage/93.html
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline EtienneXplore

• previously KnopKop
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
    • www.etiennexplore.com
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2009, 11:41:13 am »

Ok, to correct my earlier post regarding the Trans Orientale Rally:

Ullevalsetter, the friendly, green KTM riding Norwegian finished second behind the Slovakian, Katrinak. He was 25min 42sec behind Katrinak, but he got a 20mim penalty for speeding during a liason stage.
Simon Pavey on his X-Challenge finished 18th, 17h12m36s behind the winner. He had 3h20min penalties, I don‚??t know for what though.

Here is the results link
http://www.transorientale.com/news/classements.php?edition=2008&id_etape=38&search=overall

I hope Ullevalsetter does well, he seems like such a nice bloke, it looks like he never gets angry, and he seems to just love riding, and his interviews are very funny

Offline MrBig

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:00 am »
Faark but that 4th stage looked like AWESOME riding on a bike!
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2009, 11:58:20 am »

Ok, to correct my earlier post regarding the Trans Orientale Rally:

Ullevalsetter, the friendly, green KTM riding Norwegian finished second behind the Slovakian, Katrinak. He was 25min 42sec behind Katrinak, but he got a 20mim penalty for speeding during a liason stage.
Simon Pavey on his X-Challenge finished 18th, 17h12m36s behind the winner. He had 3h20min penalties, I don‚??t know for what though.

Here is the results link
http://www.transorientale.com/news/classements.php?edition=2008&id_etape=38&search=overall

I hope Ullevalsetter does well, he seems like such a nice bloke, it looks like he never gets angry, and he seems to just love riding, and his interviews are very funny

yep. on the second stage he commented about taking it easy in the beginning, and then opening up a little after seeing too many peeps passing him  :imaposer:

Offline ActionAnt

• Not so
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2009, 12:26:48 pm »
How much would it cost for a privateer to enter, prepare a bike, etc? Perhaps we can rally round and send a Wild Dog team next year :ricky:
You should watch Charley Boorman's Race to Dakar. That should give you an idea of what it actually costs the privateers to enter. It is way way way more than the 10000‚?¨ entry fee.
R1 000 000 is not a bad guestimate..
For dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2009, 12:32:49 pm »
on ADV rider, also check the "regular guy does dakar" thread in ride reports.

gives a good idea of what is involved. (if you dont have a tv series budget backing you)

The logistical costs and the cost of setting up the bike will eat up most of your budget.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »
on the transorientale website they have an example budget for motorcycle competitor for the transorientale race

http://www.transorientale.com/concurrents/budget-moto-course.php

Offline ActionAnt

• Not so
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2009, 12:37:21 pm »
on ADV rider, also check the "regular guy does dakar" thread in ride reports.

gives a good idea of what is involved. (if you dont have a tv series budget backing you)

The logistical costs and the cost of setting up the bike will eat up most of your budget.
here is the link
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209947&highlight=regular+dakar

Offline Panne

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2009, 12:40:07 pm »
How much would it cost for a privateer to enter, prepare a bike, etc? Perhaps we can rally round and send a Wild Dog team next year :ricky:
You should watch Charley Boorman's Race to Dakar. That should give you an idea of what it actually costs the privateers to enter. It is way way way more than the 10000‚?¨ entry fee.
R1 000 000 is not a bad guestimate..

Very close if you take all expenses (preparation etc.) into account.

Oz Bestel gave a presentation at the first Alfie Cox DS Festival about his participation in the 2007 event. He spent in the region of R600k.
"Daar is honde wat maar net hoef te knor. Dit is diť wat reeds tevore gewys het dat hulle kan byt." - C.J. Langenhoven

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2009, 12:43:56 pm »
Finding a reliable mechanic to prepare the bike and possibly come along on the trip is IMO essential, after a day of riding, the last thing you want to do is wrestle a wrench to make sure you can ride the following day. - fr the privateers that do this all out of a trunk, i have the utmost respect and think the works guys can take note of the dedication, and perseverance.

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2009, 01:10:13 pm »
The fairytale has come to an end...............KASTAN has withdrawn from the race  :-\

Here is what he said afterwards ( http://www.dakar.com/2009/DAK/LIVE/us/500/r7_4-portraits.html )

Gaston, my hero

The adventure of Ivo Kastan is over; it stopped on Tuesday at the start of Stage 4. His bike was just leaking too much oil. Shattered, he had to head for the assistance trucks, follow their lead and get to Neuquen at 60 km/h. "I was adding oil occasionally. A truck gave me some; it was oil for diesel engines," says the Czech who already participated in 8 Dakars and finished 6 of them, with a smile. This year, for his 9th participation, he had to have a new motivation. "Latin America gave me 50% of the motivation and the rest was given to me by my job: I am a small bikes dealer so I decided to build a brand new bike." So this is how this tall lean man decided to challenge the Dakar with a 146cc bike prepared by him and nicknamed Honda Rahier. "Gaston (Rahier) was my hero; he was not tall, he was always in a good moood and he won the Dakar." Ivo will be driving along, following the race on his bike using side trails to be able to be with his journalist wife every night at the bivouac. He is not disappointed at all. "With this bike, I finished fourth of the European Bajas Cup in the less than 250cc category. I think that a lot of amateurs are wrong on the Dakar: big bikes are too expensive and too dangerous. With my bike, I have found the true spirit of this rally again."

The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline MrBig

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »
damn,

RIP.

wonder what happened?

Offline Bakkie

• is not a
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »
Ag no man not good..... I wonder what happened maybe he fell and broke something?

Here's the story:

Neuquen - French motorcyclist Pascal Terry has been found dead while competing in the Dakar Rally, organisers said on Wednesday.

The 49-year-old Terry was found dead overnight after the fourth stage of the gruelling race which is taking place for the first time in South America. He had been missing since Sunday and the stage between Santa Rosa and Puerto Madrid.

"The motorcyclist was found in an area that is very inaccessible with very dense vegetation 15 metres from his bike," organisers said in a statement.

"He had taken off his helmet and had taken shelter with food and water next to him."

Police were carrying out an investigation to determine the cause of death.

Terry was the first fatal casualty at this year's race which started in Buenos Aires on January 3 and finishes back in the Argentine capital on January 17.
There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!
Performance is paramount, niceties only exist if it doesn't affect performance.

Don't rush it, it's helmet time you need, not a destination. Take it easy.

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2009, 02:15:47 pm »
maybe a heart attack, looking at this age (sorry ou ballies, but the stats are the stats)
or internal injuries from an off.

surely the fitted GPS tracking units on their bikes should make finding competitors an easy task?

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2009, 02:17:03 pm »
eish not nice

RIP.

Offline ActionAnt

• Not so
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2009, 02:18:42 pm »
I hate hearing when this happens.
RIP

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #97 on: January 07, 2009, 02:33:18 pm »
RIP brother
I love my bike..................

Offline ActionAnt

• Not so
« Reply #98 on: January 07, 2009, 03:26:21 pm »
What's happened to Cyril Depres today?
Has he even completed the 1st 31 Km?

Offline ActionAnt

• Not so
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:19 pm »
What's happened to Cyril Depres today?
Has he even completed the 1st 31 Km?
Nevermind.
there was an iritrack problem and he has arrived 3rd at Cp1.