Thumpers playground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
At half past three I made up my mind, I'm going riding ! Armed with a Google earth roadmap in my head I went out in search of the quarry where Shark, Welshman and co. went riding a week before. I found the dirt road straight away, in fact I have ridden this route a number of times usually turning left and heading towards the Bronkhorstpruit direction. Searching for the quarry I took a right and promptly rode past the quarry without even noticing  :? I kept looking and found zilch that resembled the pics I saw. Eventually beside the road between some trees I came across a mini me quarry. Surely It could not be the place  :evil: Well I could see some quads and 4x4's rode here so I decided to play around as well.

Inside the playpen

DSCF6007.jpg

And by now I've discovered my camera's video function  :D
A fun little hill for going up and down

https://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/mordies/quarry/?action=view&current=climb.flv

I backtracked knowing that the area I'm looking for should be before the railway line and not after it. Eventualy I spotted the quarry to my right, don't know how I missed it !

In the Moroccan desert .... er ok somewhere near Petoors  :D

DSCF6012.jpg

DSCF6014.jpg

DSCF6016.jpg

Like Welshman mentioned there is not alot of really deep sand so if you can't go through it ride over it to make it more interesting

DSCF6015.jpg

There is one small little patch on the far side that had some fun sections, I went through the section trying out various gears and sitting and standing. Second gear on the pegs worked for me. The little hills and bulldosed mounds made for some lekker play time  :D

DSCF6023.jpg

And another vid

https://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/mordies/quarry/?action=view&current=playing.flv

I also saw a track from the main dirt road and remember the other guys talking about it. I rode around the outside of the quarry and found it going up into the hills. I think this track was used for an enduro or mountainbike ride as it had some stickers hanging from the shrubs surrounding it.

DSCF6020.jpg

It was pretty rocky and it's easy to get a puncture if you hit the rocks at a wrong angle. Easy does it and it's not too difficult.

DSCF6018.jpg

Selftimer on and run !

DSCF6019.jpg

Ground clearance is your friend, prime area for a GSV to lose a bashplate  :wink:

DSCF6021.jpg

It was getting late and I brought nothing to drink with me, with no crystal clear mountain streams nearby I decided to hightail it out of there and go and look for a cafe. Well deserved Coke at the end of the day.

DSCF6024.jpg

All in all I'm glad a decided to go riding, my Z will get a couple of weeks of rest, but when I'm back the fun starts all over again. Magoebas, Molopo route, Mpumalanga they are all waiting. Also really keen to go on another group ride, see ya soon !