Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Waterproofing kit  (Read 381 times)

Offline NEON DEON

Waterproofing kit
« on: October 19, 2021, 08:18:36 am »
Rain season upon us again and have been giving the idea some thoughts again . Products that are availble is mostly used in the hiking sector and for camping , but I am sure that it could be used to make riding kit more water proof ,/ resistant,
 Nikwax  seems to be a popular product . They make a wash in solution , and then a spray on as well . thought of using the wash in solution on my jeans and jacket , and they adding a extra layer with the spray on product , in order to make it as water resistant as possible.
I am aware that riding actually forces the water into the fabric making it not easy to keep the water out . Another option is to use candle wax , one waxes the fabric and then used a hair dryer to heat the wax in order for it to penetrate the fibres  big job , but could work .
I have used tent waterproofing spays on my kit , seemed to work , but on a trip my jacket was not that waterproof  , I have a rain liner , keep me dry  , but the outer layer , gets soaked and this is what I would like to have the water just bead off .

Offline Tampan

Re: Waterproofing kit
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:32:07 am »
Wax can work, but if you get it wrong, your clothing might be ruined. Happened to me trying to re-wax a Drisabone jacket. Other than that, I'm not sure if you'll find anything that will make clothing 100% waterproof?

I have an Oxford rain suite that can be worn over the riding suite. It's a bit bulky and can get quite hot, but it keeps just about all water out and your riding suite will stay dry. IIRC, it was not that expensive.

The alternative, of course, is to get a Klim suite. It ticks all the boxes and is 100% waterproof, without a liner. BUT, the price is rather eye watering ...

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 11:03:27 am »
.... BUT, the price is rather eye watering ...

As in Monsoon on the Ganges plains  ::)
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 11:09:10 am »
I have a rain liner , keep me dry  , but the outer layer , gets soaked and this is what I would like to have the water just bead off .

I could never understand the purpose of a rain liner while the whole jacket gets soaked.  Outer lightweight rain jacket works for me.  Combined with a semi waterproof riding jacket it is the best of both worlds.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Splash!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:31:57 am »
I can STILL not find a rain suit that will keep my crotch dry while riding in rain.  I am convinced such a thing doesn't exist.

Offline GhostSixFour

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 11:50:28 am »
I can STILL not find a rain suit that will keep my crotch dry while riding in rain.  I am convinced such a thing doesn't exist.

Stop pissing yourself on wet roads then?

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Vespa (all models)
  • Splash!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 11:54:33 am »

Stop pissing yourself on wet roads then?

Was waiting for that comment.  >:D

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 03:08:28 pm »

It is called a diaper, and yes you can get it in an adult size  :thumleft:
Check out Fortnine's review of the adventure bike specific brands before you rush out with your cash
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 03:11:14 pm by MildlyWild »
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline funduro

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 07:16:13 am »
This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't slow me down.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 08:56:27 am »
Wax products help keep the rain out but attract dust. No good for adventure riding.

My best combo was a light summer jacket with a rain jacket on top. Keeps the wind out, too.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Dunnes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Name: Dickie Talma
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 04:46:16 pm »
Deon, I have used the Nikwax products on some hiking gear. It only works on clothing that has a waterproof and breathable material. You cannot wash in or spray on waterproofing.

I have used wax on hiking boots on all the stitching and it works brilliantly. I dont have a problem with dust.