Honda NC750X Suspension upgrade options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Please be cool now and only participate if you have knowledge and advise on suspension options.

I know this bike was bashed as the granny bike, the ‘corolla’ and absolutely non adventure bike.

However; mine is six years old and around 40k km and in beautiful condition.
She has taken me up and sown Sani when I was cautioned that the road is washed out and terrible condition, she has taken me up Swartberg pass and down Gamkaskloof and back.
She has taken me through Prins Albert (or is it Alfred?) pass twice all the way through the Knysna forest.
3 x to Cape Town and surrounds and back to Brits (no sleep over)
Augrabies, Riemvaamaak and even the famous Brakpan  :lol8: (for real, ask Woody1) but even Breeds nek n couple of times and endless trips on the canal roads around Brits.

So I do not try and convince anybody that the NCx is a adventure bike bit adventures can be had ok  ???
It is my only vehicle in my name and I love it to bits

So my dilemma is that the bike is in perfect condition bit the suspension is bad
Rear is rather hard and not much is going on there and front is pap

So will it be wise to look at an upgrade to Wilbers shock and progressive fork springs at my combined us price of $900 or R13k or am I trying to ‘polish a turd’ ?

Regardless, with or without an upgrade I am keeping the NC.
Or:
Will it be better to get a more adventure focused ‘adventure bike’

See I want to fo ride a lot on my next break if I so not get a job in SA and will have to come back to continue with agri work in the States. A lot I really mean a couple thousand kilos mostly on dirt roads like the Karoo, some more passes and just a whole lot more off the beaten track but not like enduro goat trail sort of riding.

The way I look at it, R13k suspension upgrade may be a cheap option but only if it works.

Lastly: Because I work in the States some thing wtf, get a new adv bike  :lol8: but truth is that I am only an agri worker like cleaning shit, scooping grain and do manual labour. So (unfortunately  :deal: )I am Not rolling in the $$$$$ ok  :imaposer:
I am still living a normal live, nothing bling.
Just try and get some sanity here but the OEM suspension is less than ideal on my bike for the type of riding I want to do.

Just hoping someone else has tried an upgrade and can advice on what to accept with such upgrade, worth it or wasting time and money?

Attachments

• 2DE70926-388F-458E-A1B1-6962A3B9032C.jpeg
    2DE70926-388F-458E-A1B1-6962A3B9032C.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 295