Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Lesotho / Sani 8 to 10 Sept 2006  (Read 3115 times)

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
Lesotho / Sani 8 to 10 Sept 2006
« on: September 10, 2006, 11:10:40 pm »
What a weekend - we all have some stories to tell, those who came, post your pics and stories.  I will do the same once my feet are on firm soil again.  Thank you to all involved in the mean time!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline X Banana Boy

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:07:44 am »
Waiting with eager ears.

and  :useless:    :toothy7:

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:13:34 am »
I'm flippin tired - just got home an hour ago, so here are some pics that I uploaded quickly... a little teaser for what's to come  :D

What a weekend though!

Before:

After:

The staple-diet of the Anakee in the wild - number plates:

And then just thanks to Stefan AGAIN for a FANTASTIC job organising everything!
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 07:56:07 am »
Can,t wait, comon boys lets see the reports.

Welsh  8)

Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Leon H

• Pack Dog
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 08:33:42 am »
Bring it on!

I'm fired up about the prospect of seeing some KLE action shots.... 8)
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 08:46:47 am »
The suspense is killing me :bounce: , but I know we will be in for a good read :study: can't wait

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:52:27 am »
OK lads, take it easy - good things take time  :wink:
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:17:28 am »
:blob:  :blob2:  :blob3:  :blob4:  :blob5:  :blob7:  :blob8:  :blob:  :blob2:  :blob3:  :blob4:  :blob5:  :blob7:  :blob8:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 09:39:36 am »
F L U F F E R S!!!!! :D

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 09:52:56 am »
Hi All

Sorry no pics from me, but here is my trip experience.

Left Hilton at about 2:30 on Friday afternoon on my own, headed towards Richmond, then turned off to Hella Hella and up the spectacular Hella Hella pass to Donnybrook, then on to the Bulwer - Underberg Road and arrived at the Himeville Arms at about 16:30.

Checked into the hotel, shown to a fantastic backpackers room where I was allowed to park my bike right outside the room (great value at R110 per night), and headed for the pub for a cold one. In the pub I met up with a crowd of bikers who were all doing the trip, they were all from Durban and pmb and none of them had heard of the Wild Dog Forum, but that was soon remedied.

At about 18:00 SGB and the guys who had met at Harrysmith arrived with news that one of their group had fallen off his bike (nothing serious apparantly) and another had broken down en route. The guy who had broken down managed to fix his bike and arrived at Himeville at about 20:00 after riding the very twisty and rocky dirt road between Nottingham Road and Himeville mostly in the dark. Very sensibly he pulled out of the ride into Lesotho the following day as his bike was not 100%.

That night we had many beers and a great dinner together at the Arms and arranged to conregate outside the front of the Hotel at 06:30 the next morning as we had a long days riding ahead of us.

06:30 saturday morning there were about 12 of us ready to hit the road, with about 5 of us on KLR's SGB on his ultra impressive KTM 990, 3 KTM 640's a KTM 450 and a DR 350. The Gauteng crew were conspicuous for their absence, perhaps the Himeville Arms Pub got the better of them, but they can let you know what happened to them.

We then had a leisurely ride to Swartberg along the tar road, about 100 km, beautiful scenery and nice chilly weather. We then left the tar and headed on dirt towards the Ramatseliso Border post. On the way there we stopped and were met by our back-up vehicle where we all filled up our tanks.

The road up to the border post was pretty spectacular, great views and some nice tricky riding over rocks and gravel, but nothing too challenging.
Just before the border we had our first mishap, one of the KTM 640's getting a puncture. Anyway after a short delay we crossed through the border into Lesotho with great anticipation, it really is a spectacular country to ride in, the mountains in the distance over which we were to cross were covered in snow.

We then set off into Lesotho, riding fairly conservatively, with SGB on his 990 leading the way at a reasonable (for him at any rate) 120km/h. After about 10 km I caught up to the front group who had stopped at the side of the road and found them busy sorting out the 640's puncture which was still leaking. After 5 minutes or so I told the others that I was a bit concerned, as Jerry on the DR 350 had been right behind me up until about a km ago and then I had not seen him again. Anyway a few minutes later Alex came roaring up on his KLR and told us that Jerry had hurt himself in an accident. He had cocussed himself quite badly and had a suspected broken shoulder and collar bone.

We then sent Vic back to the others coz he had a first aid kit and we sorted out the puncture and joined the others, to find Jerry sitting at the side of the road in a fair bit of pain. Alex told us that if Jerry asked him one more time who he was and what he is doing in Lesotho he would punch him.

Anyway at this stage the decision was made to abandon the trip, as our number on priority was to get Jerry to civilization and to a doctor. It was great to see the support everyone gave to Jerry and getting him out of there.

We strapped Jerry's arm to his body and SGB took him on his 990 back to the border and we ferried Jerry's bike back to the border post. The problem we were sitting with was there was no cell phone reception in the area so we could not call anyone for help. There was an Eastern Cape Health official on duty at the border post who we managed to convince by offering him financial inducements, to take Jerry and his Bike down to Swartberg. From there the back up vehicle which was waiting for us in Mokhotlong was contacted and he met Jerry and took him and bike to Durban and hospital.

The rest of us made our way back to the Himeville Arms where we watched the Bokke thumping Ozzie, and then I made my way back to Pmb, arriving home at about 18:30 saturday evening.

This was a big wake up call for all of us. Ours is a dangerous sport and Lesotho is a rugged and inhospitable country where anything can go wrong. As one of the guys on the trip said who does a lot of riding with Alfie Cox, Alfie says that in his experience 9 out of 10 trips to Lesotho end with something going wrong.

Anyway it was great to meet new guys, put faces to names from the forum, do a bit of spectacular riding and see how the group reacted in an emergency situation. I would go back to Lesotho with these guys any day.

Jon
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 10:35:27 am »
Bad news man, and I was looking forward to this report.

Welsh  :evil:
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
Some piccies!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 10:38:33 am »
OK, so here goes…

Woke up Friday morning at 04:30, to try and be on the road by 05:00.  I’d arranged to meet Justin at the Star Stop in Midrand at 05:30, so we could take a leisurely ride down to meet Stefan and the crowd in Harrismith at 10:00.

Coffee at the Star Stop:

We had extremely thick fog on the way down, was soaked, freezing and miserable.  On the way to Villiers for juice:

Having a break to thaw next to the highway, first proper sun of the morning:

Then met SGB, ChrisD (or was it ChrisB?) and the rest of the gang at the Engen one stop in Harrismith, had quick breakfast, and we were off, first dirt of the day, to Ladysmith the LONG way round… :D

The Motley crew at the lookout point:

View was incredible, the photos just don’t do it justice (I’ll be saying that a lot…)

Schweet bandana buddy…

Then we lost Stuart and his XT to technical failure, an XT with technical failure???  :roll:

Some challenging twisty sections claimed a victim – Chris was luckily alright, and the KTM was too after SGB did his thing with an improvised gasket for where the fuel tap broke off…She’s broken:

She’s feexed:

Adam on his Katoom:

Anthony on his Beemer:

Break before the last stretch of dirt before Himeville – check how dark it’s getting, sun was setting and we still had about an hour to go, on VERY twisty dirt.  Check SGB’s KTM on the right, very nice!  Oh, and nice helmet too!

So then arrived in Himeville and checked in.  The backpackers rooms turned out to be a lot more than we had expected, not even needing sleeping bags, and even free coffee!  :)   Had a shower, and went up to the pub, had a few drinks, then had a GREAT beef and Guinness pie, which lined the stomach for the evening’s hard drinking…which caused us to miss the ride with everyone else the next morning.  In a way, a blessing, me and Justin had a fairly leisurely ride up the pass, puttered around up top, and then a leisurely ride down again…And apparently a rider in the other group fell, and they had to turn around.  Jerry was OK though, just a broken collar bone.

On the way up the pass – still before the SA border post:

Lookout point…

It really is breathtakingly beautiful…

Some friendly passers-by volunteered a photo…

There were two guys and a lady on the way up on mountain bikes – like the peddling type…it’s hard work on a motorbike, I can’t imagine what it must’ve been like on a bicycle!  The zig-zag part to the top:

At the highest pub in Africa – and I didn’t even have a beer!  :cry:

From the top – we came up all that way:

Spot the Justin between all the nothingness – the force is strong in this one:

Possible photo competition entry?

An ice rat supposedly:

This horse didn’t make it…I hope ours do…

Difficult concentrating on your front wheel and where it’s going with scenery this spectacular!

The long and winding road…to nowhere it seems:

If you could call this nowhere, that is:

Contemplating life, the universe and everything else.  Hmmm…42.

On the way back down – it’s actually quite easy to ride around this…  :twisted:
Justin rinsing off his bike:

And my turn:

At the SA border post on the way out…you’ll notice that the rinsing didn’t work at all.

Watching the Australians getting their asses kicked at Sani Pass Hotel (sorry LeonH  :twisted: ):

HEYYY!!! My first on the move photo, Justin’s silhouette and headlight:

The very friendly staff from the Sani Pass hotel, I blame them for my hangovers on both mornings…Here having a spot of lunch before heading back home Sunday:

Taking a break from the dirt on the way back home, this dirt road was a HELL of a lot more fun in broad daylight then it was on the way there in the dusk…

Justin was apparently singing the Long and winding road in his helmet the whole weekend  :lol: :

Just off the dirt, first bit of tar, and some awesome twisties ahead!

Stopped in Estcourt for juice, had a coke and a smile, and then pushed onto the N3 for the mind-numbing (and backside-numbing) ride back to GP.  KLE’s ran great at full taps, apart from Justin’s little sputter at the One Stop, maintaining 140 kph indicated with relative ease – top true speed 152 kph!!!  I arrived home at around 22:30, tired, hungry and cold, but satisfied.

LOTS of animals were hurt in the making of this presentation  :twisted: :

And the GPS trip details:

It was really an awesome trip – especially after reviewing the photos after the numbum had subsided - it was an honour and a priviledge to experience some of the most awesome scenery and absolute desolation I’d ever seen.  Whatever your persuasion, the Creator, be it your God, or the sands of time or whichever, has churned up something as awesome as the power that created it.  No photo would ever do it justice, which is just more reason for you all to go out there and experience it for yourselves!

Thanks once more to everyone involved.

shark_za

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 10:48:31 am »
All abourd, "Going up!"

Lovely guys, pity about all the falls and breakages, but this is Africa!

Offline Leon H

• Pack Dog
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 10:54:56 am »
Crikey that was worth the wait. :D  :D

Very cool report and very cool locations.  Did a good job conveying a feel of the grandeur of the place through the photography.  Nothing like the feeling of satisfaction like a ride like that.  No doubt you're already planning the next one! :twisted:

You guys live in one mighty looking country.

Thanx,

Leon
"I see a boundary, I eat a boundary...and wash it down with a cup of hot steaming rules!"

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 10:57:12 am »
Awesome photos R.
I wish I could have been there. :cry:
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline wino

• Old Boys Club
  • Race Dog
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 11:11:31 am »
well done on the sensibility of the group :wink:  
IDR, awesome pics and report! would you say that the 3 days were too much of a rush coming from valieland, maybe extend with another day?

Offline IDR

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 11:16:05 am »
Quote from: "wino"
well done on the sensibility of the group :wink:  
IDR, awesome pics and report! would you say that the 3 days were too much of a rush coming from valieland, maybe extend with another day?

No, I think 3 days was just fine - I wouldn't know what to do with an extra day with what we had planned.  In retrospect though, it's a pity that I didn't have a tent, would have LOVED to camp out in Lesotho for a night, in the middle of nowhere.  Wake up to that scenery, sit around the fire making coffee in the morning...sounds great!

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2006, 11:24:56 am »
I repeat, we are not worthy, great report, would have been fun on da pig.

Welsh 8)

Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself - Rita Mae Brown
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline Justin

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Bring it!
    • Sports Vision
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2006, 11:35:21 am »
Yeah

Great trip. Thanks 4 all who made it possible. So...where to next?
Carpe diem!

Offline droffarc

• Race Dog
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2006, 12:03:31 pm »
Impressive.

The KLE seems to have handled the trip very well. :wink:
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978