Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: registering an enduro bike  (Read 332 times)

Offline EssBee

registering an enduro bike
« on: October 30, 2021, 08:54:41 am »
Besides putting the necessary hardware on the bike, how does one go about getting a used enduro bike registered?

If the original owner bought it and never intended it to be registered, then it's not on the enatis system, right? Even though it has a vin number.

Is it a matter of taking it to a vehicle clearance center and then getting that enatis reg form.....then actually registering it in one's name?

Oops....I've posted this in the wrong section....how does one move it...can't figure.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:58:22 am by EssBee »

Offline jacques10

Re: registering an enduro bike
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 09:13:46 am »
I have done it here are the steps.

1. IF your enduro bike has a Natis papers in most cases will be on the Natis system for identification purposes but you don't pay a license disk fee.
2. Complete a blue form (Application for license)
3. Get your bike road worthy i.e mirrors, indicators, reflectors, chain guard etc.
4. Do a RWC and pay the license disk.
5. Enjoy

No natis is another story with police clearance , weigh bridge, long queues and time.
99 DR350SE,86 KLR250, 93 KDX250sr, 91 KDX250sr, 04 KLX300, 89 CRM250

The following users thanked this post: EssBee

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 09:40:43 am »
Enduro bikes most always are noted on Natis as for racing/offroad use and are not tagged for roadworthy and licensing for use on road. As such then it cannot be done. Yes you can register and licence it for insurance purposes but does not mean it will automatically be legal for road use and allocated a licence plate number. This is determined by the homologation when they are first brought into the country by the importer. Some KTM 6-Days for example can/could be done but most enduro bikes not. Your Natis document will disclose this info.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 10:20:14 am by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Aprilian

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • 1200 BMX
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 10:06:46 am »
Yip, Natis specifies. Recently registered my 2016 Husky 350 for road use - had to pay licenses and fines from 2016 and RWC

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…

Offline @VT

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 11:48:14 am »
Go to the licensing dept with engine and chassis number, they can tell you if it was ever loaded on ENatis, if it hasn't been you can follow the process and register it as a built up vehicle to get it on to the system, registered and licensed.
Biking history excluding project bikes - Yamaha's: DT50LC, DT250, XT500 & 1200 Super Tenere. BMW's: F650, R80G/S, K75, R100RS, 1200GS & 1200GSA, Triumph Tiger 885. Honda's: Africa Twin's x 3 & Varadero 1000. Now back to BMW 1200 GSA

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • + a few Honda CR500s
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 12:13:48 pm »
If never registered, go to Ktm and get the manufacturer certificate
1998 Honda XR600R
2018 Husqvarna TE 300
2022 KTM 500 EXC-F 6 Day

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 06:03:25 pm »

If it is a KTM  ;)   That would also tell one what category the Natis registration would be ie. if it can be licensed for use on public roads.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 06:59:04 pm »
Enduro bikes most always are noted on Natis as for racing/offroad use and are not tagged for roadworthy and licensing for use on road. As such then it cannot be done. Yes you can register and licence it for insurance purposes but does not mean it will automatically be legal for road use and allocated a licence plate number. This is determined by the homologation when they are first brought into the country by the importer. Some KTM 6-Days for example can/could be done but most enduro bikes not. Your Natis document will disclose this info.

Not really too sure about that.  My Honda CRF450X has a reg doc that states Offroad, but I have it on the road. .My KTM 300 XCW also were reg and licensed, but the disc was always withheld because I never roadworthied it.  I paid yearly license fees for it. I think its difficult to predict an outcome.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 08:33:57 pm »

Not really too sure about that.  My Honda CRF450X has a reg doc that states Offroad, but I have it on the road. .My KTM 300 XCW also were reg and licensed, but the disc was always withheld because I never roadworthied it.  I paid yearly license fees for it. I think its difficult to predict an outcome.

It depends as I say on how it is coded on Natis due to the homologation process. Go ask a dealer they will explain it. A KTM 300XCW is most unlikely to be able to put on the road - yes you can register and pay annual licences and documents will state that a roadworthy is outstanding but even with such if the Natis document is not coded for road use you cannot legally put it on the road.

Offline EssBee

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 08:43:40 pm »

If it is a KTM  ;)   That would also tell one what category the Natis registration would be ie. if it can be licensed for use on public roads.

Its actually a CRF. The dude selling it, albeit on behalf of a someone else, said something to the effect of Honda being "the most difficult to get the enatis from"   :-\.... it's all quite confusing to me. Then he got back to me afterwards and said "no...he'd done it before.....take it to the clearance center...and then get it roadworthied and then registered..."  ???

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 08:51:36 pm »

It depends as I say on how it is coded on Natis due to the homologation process. Go ask a dealer they will explain it. A KTM 300XCW is most unlikely to be able to put on the road - yes you can register and pay annual licences and documents will state that a roadworthy is outstanding but even with such if the Natis document is not coded for road use you cannot legally put it on the road.

The new owner has it on the road.  But we live in the Northern Cape - the land of the free  :imaposer: