Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Registering a bike for a foreigner  (Read 223 times)

Offline meteldog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
Registering a bike for a foreigner
« on: November 03, 2021, 09:02:00 am »
Hi, I have a friend coming out form Germany for a couple of months that wants to buy a bike here and tour Southern Africa. Can he register a bike in his name here or what is the process now?
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Online BuRP

Re: Registering a bike for a foreigner
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 11:50:53 am »
Noraly also bought one, didn't put it in her name, rode it all over and in different countries, and when she left she could have sold it again without hassles..... simple!
Perhaps your friend should do same, saves PT & general schlepp  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline TheBear

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Die Ruiter sal KilRoy regruk
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 01:04:18 pm »
If you are applying for a traffic register number as a foreigner who wants to buy or register a motor vehicle in South Africa, you must submit the following:
- A certified copy of your passport or a certified copy of your driver license and temporary residence permit or travel document
- Two black-and-white ID photographs (confirm with the RA or DLTC how many photos is required).
- Proof of address e.g. utility account. If the utility bill is not in your name, the owner of the bill must make an affidavit declaring that you live at the address and the utility bill must be attached to the affidavit.
- If you stay at an informal settlement, you must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor confirming your residential address"

quoted from:

https://www.gov.za/services/driving-licence-driving/apply-traffic-register-number

Noraly also bought one, didn't put it in her name, rode it all over and in different countries, and when she left she could have sold it again without hassles..... simple!
Perhaps your friend should do same, saves PT & general schlepp  :thumleft:

In Noraly's case the dealer was happy to leave it in their name and because it wasn't in her name, she couldn't enter some countries. 

The issue is, if you buy it, in whose name do you register it?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 01:08:14 pm by TheBear »
#BB33 #BRADICAL!
#DB40 #DIVEBOMB!
#SO4 #FULLGAS!

The following users thanked this post: meteldog

Offline meteldog

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Alive and kicking
    • Tankwa Biking
Re: Registering a bike for a foreigner and Visa issues
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 04:29:11 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far.

Does anyone know how the SA visa works now. I know it is only valid for 90 days. Ralf is wanting to spend 6 months in SA, Nambia, Zim and Botswana. I seem to remember that you could exit SA for a while to a neighboring country and then come back and get another 90 days, but they stopped that??
Cathsseta certified National Adventure Guide (WC9703)
it's all about the journey, not the destination
http://www.advbike.co.za
http://www.facebook.com/groups/111787138904704/

Offline JustBendIt

• Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
  • cunning linguistic afficionado
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 05:36:48 pm »
Hi, I have a friend coming out form Germany for a couple of months that wants to buy a bike here and tour Southern Africa. Can he register a bike in his name here or what is the process now?

Yes he can register a bike in his name once he has a Traffic register Number certificate and has been introduced on to our Natis system ...takes 1 week

I can do it all for him ...apply for Traffic Register Number certificate and walk the application through from start to end ...I am in lakeside in Cape Town and do all this kind of stuff for a living ...please contact me directly on 082 520 1762
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 05:37:43 pm by JustBendIt »
The older I get the faster I was

The following users thanked this post: meteldog