Bakkie & Thump's end of year ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bakkie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
An idea is born

After a crazy mid-week day I invited a few guys (Thump, Crab, Gromit) for a drink at Johnny Rockets. Immediately it all went wrongâ?¦..

I arrived without ATGATT
Thump arrived wearing his X-Mas present before X-Mas
Crab arrived in a Cage (See https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=15115.1900)
And Gromit arrived without drinking ANYTHING

While talking K@K I unconsciously mentioned that I want to do a trip, not just a trip a sleep over tripâ?¦.. so I convinced Thump (his shoulder was sore from a massive fall the weekend so it wasnâ??t too difficult to twist his arm) to join me. Anyway to make a long story short (too late) my mom phoned Thump's mom and asked if he can come and sleep at my house!!!! (PUI sorry)

After a few emails, 7 games of pool and 5 dart games (I got white washed or what ever you call it) we decided on the following route!

map-1.jpg

Day 1

I got a phone call at 04h45 checking if I was awakeâ?¦ by that time I already changed a nappy and made wildâ?¦ I mean kissed my wife good bye. I was On the bike and at Engen Linton Grange at 05h20â?¦.. I got a Red Bull and some Jelly Babies for Breakfast while waiting for Thump. Thump arrived at 05h29.5 

DSCN4153.jpg

Check What Thump can do at 05h30 in the morningâ?¦IMPRESSIVE LEG OVER

DSCN4155.jpg

Originally we decided to take the Elandsriver Rd but took the N2 instead to spend more time in the Baviaans.

I pushed  the go button on the GPS and it told us that we will be home 04h10 the next morning

DSCN4157.jpg

Our 1st stop after Thump lost 2L of Pepsi was ontop of the first pass so that he could put a back pad â??thingy heat padâ? on his back. (I knew lifting his leg so high early would cost him dearly)

DSCN4160.jpg

Then we carried on and the next stop was at the cable car. Thump took a walk and had a look while I watched the bikes and wrote my name in the sandâ?¦. Hehehehe

004.jpg

Then we made it down the first real pass and Thump tried his hand at some creative photography

DSCN4167.jpg

We heard some noise and a guy on a KTM 950 and someone on a Honda 650 pulled-up bitching about the tough terrainâ?¦.. we entertained them and left. Just after Rooihoek we got to the notorious water crossing at Smits Kraal. I walked through to check the lineâ?¦ thanks to a previous thread advising us to stay right we made it through with no hassle.

Thump crossing

Bakkie crossing (fast)

The KTM and Honda Gautengers (shame) caught up to us and I (with some hesitation) showed them the right line.. hehehe

Soon after Smitskraal we stopped just before Doring Kraal for a lekker swim!!!

Thump
DSCN4178.jpg

Bakkie
DSCN4180.jpg

Vaalies
DSCN4184.jpg

(Notice the bull fighter while his buddie's taking a piss)

Just after our goof two guys, also Gautengers on 1200GSAâ??s showed up from Willomore side. (nice friendly guys considering they ride BMWâ??s)
DSCN4187.jpg

We then headed towards the Baviaans exit and stopped at the Baviaans Curios Shop aka Annaâ??s Sexy Shop. We had a freshly braaied rooster koek and coeldrinkâ?¦. During this time the Gautengers on KTM and Honda caught us again.

DSCN4192.jpg

Thump was finding the BAviaans very boringâ?¦ or maybe it was the previous late night of pool and darts

DSCN4196.jpg

We then put foot and headed toward De Rust for a lekker midday breakfast

DSCN4199.jpg

From De Rust we went through the Poort and made a Bee Line for Price Albert. After scanning the GPS and following Wolweseuns recommendations we got a chalet at Olienhof. (S33 13.134 E22 02.078)

It cost us R120 per person and R1 for a piece of woodâ?¦. We took ten for the braai! We then made it to town and bought  beers (not enough), 2 x chops, wors, 4 x sweet potatoesâ?¦. Thump also bought milk for coffee which we discovered in the morning was AMAZIâ?¦. Sheez you guys see what I had to put up with.

29122008001.jpg

DSCN4203.jpg

Getting back to accommodation I made a fire while Thump fixed his puncture which I foundâ?¦. Hehehe

DSCN4213.jpg

I continued braaing and gave him 1 beer as motivation

DSCN4212.jpg

In the mean time I had a 5 min power nap and went for a shower.
When I got outside there was tent on the stoepâ?¦.. FOR ME!!!????!!!??? WTF
Ok so I snore a little

DSCN4214.jpg

I wasnâ??t worried about sleeping on the stoep cos my old man gave me a awesome blow-up mattressâ?¦
It was moertoeâ?¦ everything was vrotâ?¦ when I opened it the valves fell-out.

DSCN4216.jpg

Anyway I slept nice���

END OF DAY ONE�. Thump your turn and be gentle�� please.