Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BigBoy 250 Mustang or similar?  (Read 351 times)

Offline Imran

BigBoy 250 Mustang or similar?
« on: November 09, 2021, 02:46:29 pm »
Good-day
A newly graduated and beginner biker is considering the BigBoy Mustang as his first bike (likes the cruiser look), this will be a daily commuter. He also has a very limited budget, about R17K.
What are your opinions/suggestions?
He wants something reliable, cheap to run and maintain and at least buy from someone reputable, he doesn't want to be ripped off, it's his savings!
Any dealers/sellers out there have something in this price range?

Appreciated :thumleft:
Some say I lack ambition,
I say I value my freedom.

Offline Karel84

Re: BigBoy 250 Mustang or similar?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 03:03:08 pm »
These BigBoy/Bashan bikes are hard enough! If looked after, they'll go for years, so money well spent.

Just be sure to keep it serviced, and you shouldn't have an issue.

Sent from my SNE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Offline stcomza

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda CTX200
  • Bazinga!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 03:22:49 pm »

Soon, the big dog's will be around to tell you how bad the Chinese bikes are yada yada blah blah blah...

Suitable Japanese alternatives will be thrown in the hat, with links for bikes to look at...

The thread will be derailed...

Sad, but true!

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound...

Wynand Steyn

Offline AfricaOffroad

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • + a few Honda CR500s
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 05:16:24 pm »
They value for money if there is post sale back up.
How good is Big Boy in that respect?

Sym is an alternative worth looking at and I know they are backed by Kawa and their dealer network
1998 Honda XR600R
2018 Husqvarna TE 300
2022 KTM 500 EXC-F 6 Day

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 09:34:03 pm »

Soon, the big dog's will be around to tell you how bad the Chinese bikes are yada yada blah blah blah...

Suitable Japanese alternatives will be thrown in the hat, with links for bikes to look at...

Sad, but true!

Come now, be a Big Boy!

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 06:46:42 am »

Sad, but true!

There are good alternative brands from China/Taiwan and India like Sym, Kymco, Hero, and KTM. I have owned Sym scooters and am now an owner of a Hero Xpulse and have had years of trouble-free ownership.

BUT...I will not group Big Boy under the same umbrella. From my experience, only as a friend of owners, they are way under par when it comes to any form of QC or build quality and sadly reliability.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 07:34:51 am »

Sad, but true!

There are good alternative brands from China/Taiwan and India like Sym, Kymco, Hero, and KTM. I have owned Sym scooters and am now an owner of a Hero Xpulse and have had years of trouble-free ownership.

BUT...I will not group Big Boy under the same umbrella. From my experience, only as a friend of owners, they are way under par when it comes to any form of QC or build quality and sadly reliability.

None of the bikes you mention are from China. Sym and Kymco are Taiwanese, KTM and Hero Indian.

I am hugely suspicious of anything coming from China.

Offline Vintage_Mania

• Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 07:41:31 am »

Sad, but true!

None of the bikes you mention are from China. Sym and Kymco are Taiwanese, KTM and Hero Indian.

I am hugely suspicious of anything coming from China.

Not sure I said any of the brands mentioned are from China? I listed better alternatives, that's all.

I am also hugely suspicious of my Chinese bakkie. I park it so that I can keep an eye on it through the window from my home office, just in case it tries soemthing.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 07:55:29 am »
Some of my mates have bought these over the years and without fail, they have been relegated to garage ornaments, if your mate doesn't want to swing spanners, rather look at a CBR150 or XR150L, not the style he's looking for but they won't fail on him.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/sunninghill/2015-honda-xr150l-dual-sport/10010092919451010031148409
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 07:56:26 am by Blikkies1 »
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 08:23:04 am »
Some of my mates have bought these over the years and without fail, they have been relegated to garage ornaments, if your mate doesn't want to swing spanners, rather look at a CBR150 or XR150L, not the style he's looking for but they won't fail on him.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-motorcycles-scooters/sunninghill/2015-honda-xr150l-dual-sport/10010092919451010031148409

I agree, and it is a pity that when one tries to point this out to would-be buyers, you get made out to be anti-whatever.

A secondhand Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki is still much, much better than a brand-new Chinese cheapie.

Offline Blikkies1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2021, 10:20:13 am »
Yeah Dan, my mate bought his two laaities the little 150 scramblers brand new, he was all excited the 1st day we took them for a ride, that until all matters of shit including canisters and covers started emancipating themselves from the bikes. This is how I'd spend the moola:

https://www.olx.co.za/item/2011-honda-cbr-250-with-good-mileage-reliable-and-fuel-efficient-neg-iid-1066360187
It's the end of the road as we know it and I feel fine.

Online Vulcan

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2021, 12:25:19 pm »
Good advise is free, Chinese bike parts are not.
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can