F800GS offroad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joggiej

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Hi all,

Has anyone added a steering damper to their F800GS. My bike's front feels verry loose in corrugation at about 80km/h. My friend Hoofseun says it's because I am hanging onto the steering bar. (And he is probably right but ... ) My Dakar is a lot more stable at speeds above 80km/h than the F800. None of the two bikes have a steering damper, and I've taken the Dakar up to 160km/h on dirt without any worries. I will not try this yet on the F800. Maybe I should add handle bar raisers to the F800, then maybe I will not be hanging on to the bar any more.

Maybe I must change my riding style, maybe clamp the bike more between the legs? Maybe I should let go with my left hand. I have seen on the dakar that when it starts to snake on high speed...above 150km/h if I let go completely with my left hand , put it behind my back, that the snaking goes away immediately. I later found that my front wheel was flat and that caused the snaking. (michelin anakees are great tires the seem to keep their shape if flat...at least on the front wheel)

Any tips regarding this will be wellcome.