Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Roof of Africa  (Read 340 times)

Offline GRIM

Roof of Africa
« on: November 10, 2021, 05:13:48 pm »
Is anyone going to the Roof this year?
I'll be there seconding for a friend of mine.
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline DR BIG 750

Re: Roof of Africa
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 05:41:58 pm »
what dates this year
twin shox, twin drum air cooled

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 11:56:44 am »
I think the 24 Nov.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Odd Dog

If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 08:36:44 am »
Its in Examn Time for my youngest Son......but Jomar (my eldest Boy) and a couple Friends may shoot through, if only for one night.

Maybe I'll also sommer take the old XT and join them.....missed Roof , I think must be almost my 20th time attending. ::)
XT 600 Tenere

Offline OomD

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • #imstayingpositive
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 03:37:23 pm »
Noob alert...

How does it work to go and spectate? Is some kind of permission needed, or tickets to be bought? Or do you just rock up and watch? And then, do you camp wild or how do you do the accommodation thing? And how do you know where good spots along the route are to spectate from?

Offline petri oosthuizen

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 04:06:25 pm »
Noob alert...

How does it work to go and spectate? Is some kind of permission needed, or tickets to be bought? Or do you just rock up and watch? And then, do you camp wild or how do you do the accommodation thing? And how do you know where good spots along the route are to spectate from?

Basically you just go OD.

We usually try not to miss the "Round the Houses" race on Thursday, VERY nice, all the competitors get together in town at a spot, and they race through the streets of Maseru.
Lately they have started gathering near a mall in Maseru, this has replaced the traditional "round the houses" with a custom track, also VERY nice to see.
At the Maseru Sun you get to see the bikes, pit crews, etc etc.
Accommodation?? Stay in the Sun (we never have), or numerous other options available near Roma/Ramabanta/etc etc
We always camp at Trading Post near Roma......nice and open, lekker "gees" there.
LOTS of riding around there.
Starting and Finsh Points are obviously bug spectator attractions - you will get the final Route around the Wednesday/Thursday, but it doesnt really differ that much each year...if you in the vicinity of Roma/Ramabanta you're good.
All in all a laid back, kuier weekend, lekker camping and kakpraat. We almost never make it to the Finish Points each day - never mind the Starts >:D
XT 600 Tenere

The following users thanked this post: OomD

Online BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2021, 08:50:18 am »
Riders and crew will need vaccine passports. Spectators will need a negative PCR test 72 hours before entering and will be valid for 14 days in Lesotho. Check entry points as many border posts like Tele Bridge still closed.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

The following users thanked this post: Odd Dog, OomD

Offline onderbroek

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • not a GLOBAL MODERATOR
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 04:45:19 pm »
Any updates?

I see a lot of silver guys still on the track?

I take it it's very wet
hak vrystaat

Offline GrantMcD1

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 08:33:54 pm »
Roof is very very wet. Bronze, Silver and Gold was cut short at the refuel. Apparently only 36 guys odd between both the gold and silver classes made it to the refuel. Even more rain is expected tomorrow so it will be very interesting to see what the organizers do as I don’t see the classes being able to finish a full day after 2 days of rain.

I’m riding the Iron class and our route wasn’t cut short and it was overall very lekker, even with the rain. It would probably have been a bit easy had it not rained but even so I would’ve enjoyed it regardless. I really think the organizers got the route spot on for us Wobblers. It was probably one of my most enjoyable rides ever despite being cold and wet throughout. If you’re considering doing a Roof because you just want to have a great ride in Lesotho but Bronze may be out of your league then I’d highly recommend considering Iron class.

The following users thanked this post: exkdx, Odd Dog