Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Gas Bomb Tap  (Read 493 times)

Offline Lakey

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Gas Bomb Tap
« on: November 15, 2021, 08:44:40 am »
I am so pissed off with this type of crap. Bought this some time ago and only needed to use it this weekend for the first time.
As my mate was attaching the bomb the brass connecting ring blew out of his hand.. Scary to think what damage it could have caused.
How the EFFING hell can this kak even be made let alone be sold to an unsuspecting public

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: Gas Bomb Tap
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 09:08:36 am »
never heard of that, we sell a SIMILAR one (yellow know, slightly different finish, too...) and we also sell an ALL METAL one, BOTH are out of stock (at us  :patch: ), but will watch this thread - that IS unusual...

for your confidence, maybe go for a ALL METAL one, but to repeat, sold hundreds, never had an issue, suspect your one may have been defective.
Cheers
Chris
DYLAN 021 510 6455        bike@flyingbrick.co.za  
NICKY 021 510 6455            service@flyingbrick.co.za JAN 021 510 6455             web@flyingbrick.co.za
BEN 021 510 6455           sales@flyingbrick.co.za 
WERNER 021 510 6455   orders@flyingbrick.co.za
WHATS APP:                    067 278 1893

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 09:25:41 am »
I am so pissed off with this type of crap. Bought this some time ago and only needed to use it this weekend for the first time.
As my mate was attaching the bomb the brass connecting ring blew out of his hand.. Scary to think what damage it could have caused.
How the EFFING hell can this kak even be made let alone be sold to an unsuspecting public

I've got one that looks exactly like that - have used it on the mtb quite a bit, no problem so far.  Maybe you just got a dud
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 09:42:02 am »
I've got a couple. Never had occasion to use them and never thought to check their country of origin........ :deal: :pot:
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Lakey

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 10:41:26 am »
never heard of that, we sell a SIMILAR one (yellow know, slightly different finish, too...) and we also sell an ALL METAL one, BOTH are out of stock (at us  :patch: ), but will watch this thread - that IS unusual...

for your confidence, maybe go for a ALL METAL one, but to repeat, sold hundreds, never had an issue, suspect your one may have been defective.
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for that. As I said , a year or 2 old but never been used. Just grateful there wasn't an injury.

Offline Lakey

• Race Dog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 10:45:48 am »

I've got one that looks exactly like that - have used it on the mtb quite a bit, no problem so far.  Maybe you just got a dud

Just a question. Do you insert the bomb before connecting to the valve or connect tap to valve first ?
After all , it has a tap to control the gas so why not attach bomb before connect to tyre?

Offline MildlyWild

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 10:58:49 am »

Just a question. Do you insert the bomb before connecting to the valve or connect tap to valve first ?
After all , it has a tap to control the gas so why not attach bomb before connect to tyre?

Ive always done the canister to regulator 1st
As a man thinketh, so he becomes...

The following users thanked this post: Lakey

Offline Wayne

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 02:08:36 pm »
Only used these things on my MTB. Have always attached the cannister then attached to the valve.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

May the best of your today be the worst of your tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Lakey

Offline met eish

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 08:45:51 pm »
That was an operator problem I am afraid  ::)
You have to screw the canister in very toyt with the tap closed.
Then once in place on the valve you open tap.
Practice practice.... its the bomb, no pun intended  :biggrin:
KTM 950

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 12:47:14 am »
I've used mine a million times, never a problem. I've screwed the bomb in first, and also had it connected to the tube when changing bombs. Stuck my fingers to a few. You name the mistake, I've made it ..........................  :biggrin:

And there's no way that can be operator error, no matter how you connect things. That shouldn't have separated, yet it did.

I reckon you bought a dud, but looking at your pic, I can't see how the plastic can hold the brass ring with much strength. Looks like a push-fit to me.

Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline tinusvdb

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2021, 07:36:37 am »
The exact same thing happened to me a couple of years ago with a tap that looks the same as yours.

The gas canister shot past my head and landed 100m away, leaving me stranded.

Luckily a farmer came down the road an hour later and gave me and my bike a lift to Riversdale.

Offline Lakey

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2021, 09:07:12 am »
I've used mine a million times, never a problem. I've screwed the bomb in first, and also had it connected to the tube when changing bombs. Stuck my fingers to a few. You name the mistake, I've made it ..........................  :biggrin:

And there's no way that can be operator error, no matter how you connect things. That shouldn't have separated, yet it did.

I reckon you bought a dud, but looking at your pic, I can't see how the plastic can hold the brass ring with much strength. Looks like a push-fit to me.

I agree Cracker. That brass ring is pressed into plastic mould. There isn't a" lip" to keep ring in position . I don't know what pressure the bomb has but obviously too much for the design. There's no reason for it to be application error.  It's not rocket science to attach bomb to regulator

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2021, 10:01:36 am »
Was thinking a bit more about this. That ring is to hold the bomb in place but not against the pressure.

If the o-ring/seal inside has perished or is missing, it could allow gas to escape between the seal and brass ring, which would result in the ring being blown out.

It could also be a defect on a particular bomb that it doesn't seal before it is punctured.

In fact, this is the only way that ring can come out.

In future, it'll pay all of us to check both bomb and adaptor before using. 

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2021, 10:05:18 am »
Then I thought a bit more and realised I am talking rubbish .................................. once the bomb is pierced there is pressure trying to force the bomb out .........  :biggrin:

Offline Lakey

• Race Dog
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2021, 01:55:27 pm »
Don't think too much. It may start hurting. :biggrin:
IMO the plastic is too soft to hold the brass ring under pressure. Maybe to start with but it will fail eventually and with possible damaging effect