2006 F650GS Dakar F/L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
Stofdonkie II

Upon proper inspection of the bike, there is really not much difference between the pre-facelift Dakar and the facelift Dakar.

The changes as follows:

Screen: I was sceptical before but I am actually quite happy with the screen, there is little or no buffeting when on the highway at speed. It makes for a more comfortable ride in my opinion. I don’t think I will change the screen for now.. maybe experiment a bit later.

Cockpit: The shape and colours have been changed…preferred the older ones as the new ones look a bit bland…too much grey.

Body panels: The decals look different, and are real decals, not like the older Dakar where a clear coat was applied over the decals. Looks kewl now, but will take some strain once the bike does the horizontal shuffle in the technical stuff. (nothing stays perfect forever right..)
The side grilles with the BM Badge on is different… just looks kewl, does not make for better airflow I think.

Under the seat, they have added a jumpstart point from the battery, this means in case of a jumpstart one does not have to take apart the faux tank, as on the previous model.

Two-spark: Makes for a smoother ride, according to Bee-em, and I tend to agree, I don’t know if it is just because the bike is new, but there is less surging at lower revs.. and the power comes on a little easier when accelerating from about 2k revs.

I removed the back wheel guard thingy, as the previous Dakar’s one got busted on Breedt’s nek. So I took the old chain guard I had in the garage, sawed off the link that holds on the wheel guard and replaced the existing chain guard and wheel guard assembly with the modified one.

The base plate at the rear for the top case, has been modified, thus the adapter to fit the OEM top case is not necessary. The flap to access the seat release lever has been greatly modified to offer a better more secure locking position, as I feared the cover on SD1 was going to shake loose any moment.

The bike came fitted with Michelin Sirac’s and I will see how they fare.

The standard Dakar seat is a bit of an issue, it’s fine on the black stuff, but when I need to put a foot down in the technical bits I wil surely see my arse…I will see if I can source a standard GS seat like I had on SD1.

All-in all, I am extremely happy with the bike, it’s great to be on the road again and to be able to wake at a decent hour and spend 35mins to get to work instead of 1h35 Minutes.