The Hero Xpulse 200 Experiment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintage_Mania

1979 Honda CB400T
Reaction score
When I started looking at smaller bikes (and I must thank my short but very educational stint on an R80GS for this) I was dead set on getting on a Honda CRFL and at that stage was looking at the 300. With very little stock available at the launch date and only rumours around the arrival of more examples, I started looking around for alternatives quickly coming to realise there are really none from the usual brands under 500cc or under R80k.

Next, I set my sights on the "exotics" and having been a happy owner of a SYM scooter and having done a lot of research on small cc bikes for my type of riding I made a shortlist of possible candidates from the Far East. This list consisted of 3 bikes:

1. SYM NHT 200 @R36000
2. Hero Xpulse 200 @R42000
3. Puzey STX 200 @R30000

The Puzey fell out of contention with just a brief walk around, it is really a very old dog between a new breed of "alternative" pups that sport ABS, Digital Instrumentation, LED lights, FI and even Navigation in the case of the Hero.

Ultimately, as the heading suggests, there was just one Hero in the bunch, and my decision was based on the more off-road bias of the Xpulse with a 21" front wheel and better suspension travel, plus their use of suppliers mostly associated with brands from Japan like NISSIN calipers and ABS, ENDURANCE forks and suspension, and Metzeler Sahara Enduro 3 tires.

While having a very close look at the Xpulse I was also lucky to overhear a conversation at Fire It Up about two hardly used examples that became available by means of German tourists. I can also add that it was a real pleasure to deal with Nicole from FIU and received delivery of my new stead in no time at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20211111_164831.jpg
    IMG_20211111_164831.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 637