Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: First time bike shopping for newbie  (Read 719 times)

Offline Imran

First time bike shopping for newbie
« on: November 28, 2021, 08:08:01 pm »
A university graduate is looking for a motorcycle to commute to work in the coming year. With a limited budget and lack of experience with riding, options are limited. Nevertheless,  the search has begun, so this morning we headed out to we buy cars, after seeing  some bikes online.
A long story short, the bikes we looked at either needed mechanical  attention ( oil leaks, broken levers and some cosmetic damage), or no information about bike history.
A Kawasaki Versys 300 priced at R58K, looked interesting,  but couldn't be started owing to a dead battery. No owner manual. No information about bike history.
Questions are:
Should  we keep searching elsewhere  for a similarly priced Versys?
What are the risks of buying from a big franchise,  with no information about the bike?
Are Dekra checks done legitimately?

Share some of your experiences on buying from WBC and also about owning and riding a Versys 300.

Appreciated.
Some say I lack ambition,
I say I value my freedom.

Offline blockheadxl650v

Re: First time bike shopping for newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 09:00:16 pm »
From previous experience buying a car from WBC stay away!.

My best buying experience was by posting on this forum what I was looking for and my budget. you get honest people willing to help and not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
There is so much knowledge on this forum. Try and stay away from scumtree

Offline Jakalas

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 10:16:00 pm »
From previous experience buying a car from WBC stay away!.

My best buying experience was by posting on this forum what I was looking for and my budget. you get honest people willing to help and not trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
There is so much knowledge on this forum. Try and stay away from scumtree
Agreed!

Set your budget, be clear on your use/application and try to foresee 2-years in advance if possible.

I was in the same position earlier in the year and got the best advise from this forum, including a few offers. I was fortunate to land on my bike direct from BMW - even though it meant an extra R5k but it came with a 6-month warranty so I was prepared to pay for that peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 10:49:39 pm »
Iíd be pretty wary of we buy cars.

Rather go to actual vine dealers like Fire It Up or even some of the bigger brand dealers, they always have other makes that have been traded in.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline donsterza

• Puppy
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 07:23:19 am »
Unless you know exactly what you are looking for, try and buy from a reputable dealer like fire it up, or even Bikeshop Rivonia, Berto from Fire It Up moved there recently, in my opinion you wont find a better salesman, very helpful and also full of advice.

Some questions to ask before you decide on a bike:
How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
Will you be financing the bike(This matters because if you are I would look at something a bit bigger that you arent going to want to sell after 6 months.
How long is your commute and what percentage is on the highway.
If you are a cash buyer I wouldnt necessarily get the best bike I can for my money, chances are you will drop it and it won't be exactly what you want, buy something light and in demand like a duke 390, a low cc dual sport. After 6 months or a year when you know what you really want from a bike you can sell it without losing money.

Offline skydiver

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250L
  • Free as a bird
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:00:22 am »
For commuting I would suggest the NC700/750
I owned one and it was extremely easy to ride and the most economical bike I've ever owned

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 08:02:07 am »
Good advice all, Fire It Up is a good option, they have great warranties and service plans etc....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x  - 2001 F650GS Dak SOLD - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Lightrider

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 08:17:04 am »
I would go for a slightly bigger engine, you want to keep up with traffic and the average speed on country roads is between 100-120 kmh. Otherwise cars are going to pass him continuously and some of them really come very, very close. I gave my son my gs650 because it can easily cruise at 120kmh but is not a crotch rocket. Also make sure the bike has ABS.

Offline Imran

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 08:31:39 am »
Really appreciate the advice. Will try to exercise patience and caution before making the decision to buy.
Some say I lack ambition,
I say I value my freedom.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 08:44:29 am »
A university graduate is looking for a motorcycle to commute to work in the coming year. With a limited budget and lack of experience with riding, options are limited.

This is a novice, which has to learn to ride whilst surviving on our treacherous roads amidst other drivers which do not actually earn that title!
Some big bikes suggested already, so before Hayabusa is mentioned..... what about a scooter?
Perfect to learn this survival game on, stores some luggage effortlessly, provides some protection also from inclement weather, and it's probably the quickest thing in town by default!
Mind, if one doesn't buy a too-small or too-cheap one that is.

For instance, a Honda 150cc automatic adds utter reliability to all this, sufficient=safe speed also on a provincial road, and they lean like a bike (biggish wheels/tyres)  :thumleft:
Bit pricier than the 'average' scooter but holds its value well, and within the mentioned budget.
If he/she likes this still after a year or two then it's time for a bike perhaps, time will tell.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 08:58:25 am by BuRP »
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 11:52:31 am »
I recently hired a scooter for a week for the above-mentioned reasons.

Struggled to keep my legs together to stop the whistling, but other than that, it was a great decision.

Kept up with all the biggies in the twisties and even managed to pass a few. They were impressed, I could hear them whistling as I passed ......................  :biggrin:
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Roadhawg

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 01:20:57 pm »
Every time I ride a scooter it feels far more dangerous than my 1290 :biggrin:   Terrifying, those things.
Stu
1290 SA-R

Offline Captain Obvious

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • The older I get, the faster I used to be.
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 01:50:21 pm »
For all the Fire It Up fans, most of the bikes on the floor at We Buy Cars Port Elizabeth have a sticker on saying "Sold - Fire It Up"

You might as well eliminate the middle man and buy direct from WBC .
"The authenticity of quotations found on the internet can be difficult to verify." - Jan van Riebeeck, 1652

The following users thanked this post: TheBear

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 02:35:15 pm »
For all the Fire It Up fans, most of the bikes on the floor at We Buy Cars Port Elizabeth have a sticker on saying "Sold - Fire It Up"

You might as well eliminate the middle man and buy direct from WBC .

Fire it up probably buy it at a cheaper price and then take on the servicing etc of the bikes.

Ive looked at vehicles from WBC and ill never walk in there again, very typical used car salesman mentality. Eliminating the middle man is not always a cheaper experience.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Lightrider

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 02:47:05 pm »
I recently bought a 690 at UB Leisure, they obviously want to push volume but they were friendly and the bike is exactly what they said it was. No complaint.

Offline BuRP

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 02:58:36 pm »
Struggled to keep my legs together to stop the whistling

Geez, and here's me thinking you were a guy!
Sorry for that doll... and, may I recommend a lekker tight miniskirt for the next time?
Easier to keep your legs together that way!  :thumleft:
Sparta MC50, 46 other 50cc's, Garelli Tiger Cross, Jawa 250, Kreidler RS (plated), Kawasaki S1 250/3, S2 350/3, H1 500/3, H2 750/3, Suzuki GT380/3 - 10 year gap - KDX200, BMW 1150GS Adventure, Honda CBR600RR, Honda XR650R 2007 & 2003, Honda CRF230, Yamaha BWS100, BMW F800GS Adventure, Husqvarna 701 Enduro 2018, KTM 790 Adv R 2019, KTM 2020 XC-W TPI 300 Six Days, KTM 2014 500 EXC-W Six Days, KTM 790 Adv R Rally 2020, KTM 890 Adv R Rally 2021

Offline SwartBlackie

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 09:20:04 pm »
Unless you know exactly what you are looking for, try and buy from a reputable dealer like fire it up, or even Bikeshop Rivonia, Berto from Fire It Up moved there recently, in my opinion you wont find a better salesman, very helpful and also full of advice.

Some questions to ask before you decide on a bike:
How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
Will you be financing the bike(This matters because if you are I would look at something a bit bigger that you arent going to want to sell after 6 months.
How long is your commute and what percentage is on the highway.
If you are a cash buyer I wouldnt necessarily get the best bike I can for my money, chances are you will drop it and it won't be exactly what you want, buy something light and in demand like a duke 390, a low cc dual sport. After 6 months or a year when you know what you really want from a bike you can sell it without losing money.
Agreed. Buy from a reputable dealer. WBC has a reputation amongst mechanics.  We buy k@k. If you have a budget, don't be to picky but buy from a dealer.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Offline OrangeRidingH00d

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Dynamite comes in small packages :)
First time bike shopping for newbie
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 11:15:47 pm »
What I would say, is test drive and feel what is best suited for you. I thought myself how to ride, never went for lessons. Just upgraded from my GS 650 twin (800cc) to my new baby KTM 1090 adventure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:58:57 am by OrangeRidingH00d »
Life is not a destination, but a Journey....
Take the Ride...

Offline Grunder

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XR250 Tornado
  • Vrystaat ek wil deur gaan!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2021, 06:34:50 am »

What I would say, is test drive and feel what is best suited for you. I thought myself how to ride, never went for lessons. Just updated from my GS 650 twin (800cc) to my new baby KTM 1090 adventure

Are you a Jedi?
the Truth will offend at first

Offline OrangeRidingH00d

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F700GS
  • Dynamite comes in small packages :)
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2021, 10:59:28 am »

What I would say, is test drive and feel what is best suited for you. I thought myself how to ride, never went for lessons. Just updated from my GS 650 twin (800cc) to my new baby KTM 1090 adventure

Are you a Jedi?
Sorry donít understand

Life is not a destination, but a Journey....
Take the Ride...