Receiving bike by ship??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I have been looking into sending my bike to Cape Town by air and sea. Of course, sea is a lot cheaper and will take 36-39 days. But what about when it gets there, is there much difficulty in clearing customs etc.?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I intend to do the final preparation after arriving. I was thinking of bringing with me the Andystrapz Expedition Panniers, and after talking to him the other day, and the price of frames, he said to just get someone to make some up, it's a lot cheaper. Can I get this done there?

As well, I saw on another post, some photos of a bike with 2 racks either side at the front with jerry cans (or something similar) which I think would be good for carrying extra fuel and water. I was talking to a SA guy the other day and he said (I think), riding through Mozambique there is quite a distance with no fuel and even when there is somewhere, they may not have any.