Which adventure bike for my daugther?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Probably looking for the impossible, but here goes:

My daughter is 21 and rides a Yamaha WR250, quite well. She is rather petite though and only weighs 54 kg's. I lowered the 250 as much as possible at the front and obviously set the suspension as best as I could for her weight and height and although she still struggles somewhat to properly reach the ground, she rides the shit out of it, once she gets going. Even moderate technical stuff is not an issue.

I'm looking for something that will be more suitable as an adventure bike and on which she can ride with me on longer trips and keep up. I'm not talking any technical riding, but normal Karoo type gravel roads. The bike must be able to comfortably do 130 - 140 km/h on the open road.
Together with that, it mustn't be too high, nor too heavy. I know these requirements don't go together at all, but I would be interested to hear your opinions.

I was thinking along the lines of the XT660Z, BMW F650GS types, maybe the Honda 650 Transalp, Suzuki 650 V-Strom, although these would probably be a bit on the heavy side.
I thought about the older thumper types, like the KLR, DR, but these aren't 140 km/h bikes and from experience with my XR650L, I know that it is not a long distance, all day bike and anything over 120 km/h became a bit uncomfortable.

Additionally, I was thinking to use the bike as a daily commuter to work, to spare my 1190.

I'm looking forward to your replies.